PDA

View Full Version : Lube sizer - What to buy?

MC One Shot
04-26-2012, 02:01 PM
I want to get a new lube sizer but deciding what to buy, Lee, Lyman or RCBS. Looking for recommendations, pros and cons. Are sizing dies interchangeable? I had one years ago but got lost in a move.

Thank youi

Dale53
04-26-2012, 03:11 PM
The Lee sizer dies do not lube. First, you pan lube or use a liquid lube then you run them through the Lee sizing die mounted on a loading press. It does a fine job just slow.

The Lyman and RCBS size/lubers work the same way and the dies are interchangeable. I have both. I would recommend that you get the RCBS as it seems to be better made. I have both make dies and would buy whichever cost less.

The Star lube/sizer is twice or three times as fast. It is a bit more troublesome to set up but most of us, after a learning cycle, don't find it a problem. The Star is expensive as are the dies. However, a lot of serious shooters (including me) won't use anything else for the majority of our use.

One caveat - if you are using gas check bullets, the Lyman, with it's gas check seater, works awfully well. I don't use gas checks (at least hardly ever) in my pistols and handguns, so for them, it is Star only.

Long, heavy Black Powder Cartridge Rifle bullets get pan lubed and sized with the Lee sizer. I use soft bullets for these as the long, heavy, soft bullets can be damaged when sizing on conventional sizers. Pan lubing and nose first sizing with the Lee avoids this. It's just somewhat slower...

FWIW
Dale53

Maven
04-26-2012, 03:36 PM
"The Lyman and RCBS size/lubers work the same way and the dies are interchangeable. I have both. I would recommend that you get the RCBS as it seems to be better made. I have both make dies and would buy whichever cost less." ...Dale53

Dale's absolutely right about the RCBS machine + it has a much stronger warranty than the Lyman. However, you may ( I stress "may") need to fashion a spacer* for shorter pistol CB's e.g., Ly. 358477, Ly. 358429 or the RCBS, et al., equivalents to prevent pushing the CB too deeply into the sizing die and covering the nose with lube.

*a short pc. of plastic fashioned from a ball point pen body, but a short pc. of solid plastic would be stronger.

Moonie
04-27-2012, 11:05 AM
I want to get a new lube sizer but deciding what to buy, Lee, Lyman or RCBS. Looking for recommendations, pros and cons. Are sizing dies interchangeable? I had one years ago but got lost in a move.

Thank youi

How much do you shoot and what is your budget? If you don't shoot much you can do the pan lube or 45/45/10 and use lee sizers, this is what I have done up to this point.

If you shoot a moderate amount you can get the RCBS/Lyman tools (I'd recommend the RCBS strictly based on QC issues at Lyman)

If you shoot a lot I'd opt for a Star or Balisti-cast Mark VI (my choice).

Option 1 will run you about $20 for each caliber but is very labor intensive. Option 2 runs about $150 and option 3 runs about $300 for the basic units. I'm opting for the fully loaded Balisti-cast Mark VI which is around $600.

RKJ
04-27-2012, 11:48 PM
I got this setup when I first started casting (about 18 months ago) but it was on clearance at that time. http://www.midwayusa.com/product/573247/lyman-mini-mag-furnace-master-casting-kit-110-volt Apparently Midway will clearance some items until they hit the number in their warehouse they want to be, at least that's how it was explained to me by a service rep. I didn't need all the items but did end up saving some money in the long run and the only things I haven't used to date are the ingot mold and the dipper. I use SS condiment cups from Walmart (99 cents for 4) and an old gravy ladle from Goodwill (it holds more) The Lubrisizer was kind of a bear to get used to (for me) but now it is very easy.

MT Chambers
04-28-2012, 12:41 AM
I use all but the Lee and favor the Star, the problem with the Lyman/Rcbs is that for serious precision you are always fighting the alignment problems, sometimes just caused by tightening up the top punch....so whenever I can I use the STAR, it's just that I have many more sizes of dies for the LYMAN/ RCBS.

Trail Finder
04-28-2012, 01:54 AM
I would find one on eBay that fits RCBS dies. The one I use is Plenty older than I am but works great. I use a heat gun to warm it up on cold days. If it is really cold I use a close light bulb to keep it warm and a smooth running operation. I have lots of issues with cold weather living in So. Cal.

dbarnhart
04-29-2012, 07:46 PM
You didn't say what kind of shooting you do and how much. Moonie pretty well covered it but:

1. The Lee kit and some home-brew 45-45-10 lube is by far the least expensive option. If you are just getting your feet wet in casting it is a good way to start. And it really isn't slow. It takes more time but most of that is time waiting for the lube to dry so while it takes time, it does not consume YOUR time.

2. Lyman lubrisizers are plentiful and cheap on the used market. You can expect to pay $60-70 for one.

bobthenailer
04-30-2012, 09:51 AM
IF you load on a single stage press get a RCBS or Lyman Lube/Sizer
if you use a semi progressive reloading press get a Star/magnma L/S

trixter
04-30-2012, 04:34 PM
I started out with a Lyman 450 (a friend loaned it to me) Lube/sizer for 45 ACP, it is a great machine. I was lube/sizing 238 gr LRN boolits. It was a little messy at times, and leaked from the side a little if you put too much pressure on the lube. I use the red carnuba lube and the machine is mounted on a heated piece of aluminum. I read about the Lee sizing system on here and decided to try it (Not expensive). As per the instructions I put a little Alox on about 150 boolits in a plastic container, and did the Martini shake and spread them out on wax paper. They dried overnight, and the next day I pushed them through the Lee sizer at about twice the speed as the Lyman. The Lyman is good if the lube rings are small, but tends to Over lube the boolits if you are trying to do large lube rings.
All this to say, I am leaning towards the Lee system just for ease of use and speed, and yes the Lee Alox works just fine. No leading in the Ol' 45.

Dale53
04-30-2012, 06:19 PM
If a caster is going to use the Lee sizing system and tumble lubing method then I suggest he/she read the sticky by Recluse:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=67654

Dale53

geargnasher
04-30-2012, 06:46 PM
Pending further informatio from the OP regarding volume, type, budget, and application, I'd recommend the RCBS over the Lyman base-first sizers as Maven suggested, the RCBS is built to a much higher level of tolerance and has less ram wobble that can bend boolits, at least the two RCBS sizers I've seen did.

Lyman and RCBS sizer dies are fairly interchangeable, although the RCBS dies don't fit the older Lyman 45s without turning the die body bases down a few thousandths.

Gear

MC One Shot
05-11-2012, 02:21 AM
I just bought a used RCBS LAM II on line complete with a heater and some dies/punches from an estate sale. Half the price of a new one. Now just waiting for it to show up.

44 WCF
05-13-2012, 12:14 PM
I am surprised I didn't see a recommendationf the SAECO. I've had all the sizers and when I got out of casting, I sold all and the SAECO took forever to sell and finally at a greatly reduced price. They are well made machines, I never had alignment issues I think because of the tapered shoulder on the punches, I guess the price and used dies being scarce have just priced the SAECO's out of the market. Any other comments on the SAECO would be appreciated.

Have fun, cast and shoot straight.

44 WCF

454PB
05-13-2012, 12:30 PM
I have a Herter sizer, which is a clone of the Saeco, even uses the same dies. While it is a good machine, my only complaint is the fact that the operating handle is mounted on the side. To me, it's much easier to apply force centered in the front, rather than off to the right side.

I started out with a Lyman 450 some 40 years ago, and now have two of them, a Star, and the Herter. If I were starting over again, I think I'd buy RCBS......mainly because of their outstanding customer service and warranty. Anyone that has dealt with Lyman repair parts and service knows what I mean.

Le Loup Solitaire
05-13-2012, 02:27 PM
I've been running two Saecos for a good number of years and never had any kind of problem. The dies are well made, are expensive and don't interchange with anything except the Herters. The punches are also pricey although you can get them at a better price from the Professor or use an adapter from Eric that allows you to use RCBS or Lyman punches. The Saeco costs more initially than RCBS/Lyman models, but the quality is high. It uses solid sticks and has good alignment. Pulling form the side is ok...you get used to it or else turn the unit to whatever angle you like. As I said..no problems and nothing has worn out so far. LLS

Dale53
05-13-2012, 03:50 PM
I now have a Star (bought used forty years ago), an RCBS, and a Lyman. The RCBS is made considerably better than the Lyman. However, the Lyman gas check seater (as I mentioned above) is very useful. Most, if not all, of the alignment problems with the RCBS can be avoided by putting a smear of grease on the nose punch instead of using the set screw. The nose punch will be self aligning. It works perfectly, too.

I had a Saeco and flat out HATED the side mounted handle. It seemed purely unnatural. It WAS made well, no denying that, but AWAY it went!

FWIW
Dale53

APDDSN864
05-13-2012, 05:21 PM
Dale,

You just brought up another noob question, will the RCBS Lube a Matic NOT seat crimp-on gas checks?

Thanks,

Ed

Dale53
05-13-2012, 05:39 PM
Actually, I believe that RCBS has a steel washer with an indent that supports the bullet base when seating gas checks (on bases that are a touch too large). Lyman's is just a bit better in that it limits the depth when you put a bullet in the die. It self aligns the bullet base and is just a bit better.

In the great scheme of things, both work just fine.

If offered a used Lyman for half the price of new, then take the Lyman. If you are buying new, then, by all means, take the RCBS (they are made better, the warranty is worlds better than Lyman).

The Star has it heads and shoulders over the others when using for pistol bullets.

As I stated above, the Lee press mounted sizing die together with pan lubing makes for an excellent method that is just a bit slow. In fact, I use the Lee method with the large, long soft bullets for Black Powder cartridge silhouette use (40/65, 45/70, and 45/90 in my case).

FWIW
Dale53

paul h
05-18-2012, 03:19 PM
How many bullets are you planning to size in a session, and how much value do you place on your time?

I started with lee sizers, they work well but I hated pan lubing. Then I got a good deal on an old lyman and a pile of sizers from a buddy. I've been using the lyman for years and it works well enough, but it's still on the slow side. I did get to borrow my buddies star sizer for a short time and have been wanting one ever since.

If you want to run alot of bullets and value your time, hands down the star is the only way to go. I have very little free time and anything I can do to cut down on casting, lubing and sizing is worth the $ to me. If I had a ton of free time and not much money, then the Lee would win out. The lyman/rcbs style is right in between.

Moondawg
05-20-2012, 10:48 AM
I have been running two Saeco's for about 20 years now. Yes they are a little pricy, but their quaility control is excellent and they a very sturdy. I doubt I will wear either one out in my lifetime. My only complaint is their top punches don't always fit the bullet nose on some of my bullets from custom or non-Saeco molds. That is easily fixed with JB Weld or chucking the punch in my lathe and modifying it.

testhop
05-20-2012, 07:04 PM
I am surprised I didn't see a recommendationf the SAECO. I've had all the sizers and when I got out of casting, I sold all and the SAECO took forever to sell and finally at a greatly reduced price. They are well made machines, I never had alignment issues I think because of the tapered shoulder on the punches, I guess the price and used dies being scarce have just priced the SAECO's out of the market. Any other comments on the SAECO would be appreciated.

Have fun, cast and shoot straight.

44 WCF

i agree with 44wcf .
saeco is head and sholders above the lyman or rcbs

MC One Shot
05-26-2012, 01:44 PM
Everything arrived in the mail the other day. I cleaned out the old lube and now setting it up. Just need to get out and order some more sizing dies that I need.

MT Chambers
05-27-2012, 02:58 PM
I have and use all sizers except the Saeco, however i find myself using my 2 Stars more all the time, one is set up for smokeless lube, the other for BP lube, both have air units and heated bases. All sizers that i have used also seat gas checks including the Star, the Star and Lee may falter with checks if the bullet is very undersized for the die you are using. The Lee tumble/pan lube then size is way too slow for me, even small batches.

budman46
05-30-2012, 12:21 PM
lee's push-thru sizers with liquid alox (lee or xlox) are the new paradigm for me. my rcbs lubrisizer is idle.