PDA

View Full Version : Gotta love that free lead

hornady
04-26-2012, 08:29 AM
Over the fall and winter after shooting I would empty the bullet trap. I just dumped them in a 5-Gallon bucket in the garage. It was nice yesterday and I filled the Dutch oven 3 1/2 times with range lead from the trap, melted skimmed fluxed and poured in muffin pans. Big improvement over, scrounging WW or Back stop lead. No sorting junk or the dirt from the back stop dig outs. I built the trap 3 years ago. Why did I wait so long.

kenyerian
04-26-2012, 08:35 AM
Been thinking about building a trap. Where did you get your plans from?

hornady
04-26-2012, 08:46 AM
To be honest I can not remember if it was here or another site. If you do a simple search you will find hundreds of designs on line, mine is the clam shell type, But I am a retired welder, and have a friend that sheared and rolled the steel for me, I just had too weld it together. But I have seen some that were no more than a plywood box filled with rubber mulch.

thompsonm1a1
04-27-2012, 10:38 PM
my local repair shop is very happy to see my show up as i keep the wheelweights cleaned up for him and it does not cost me anything. up here in canada we are seeing more of the steel and zinc showing up. in time my 600lb pile of 1lb bars will be worth more than gold the way things are going in the world.

zxcvbob
04-27-2012, 10:50 PM
Tomorrow is the annual "clean-up day" at my gun club/range. Last year I took home about 500 or 600 pounds of lead from the indoor range bullet trap (I could have got a little more, but I ran out of buckets) and the club was glad to have the pit cleaned out for free. Not sure when it was cleaned out before.

No idea how much is there now but hopefully I'll find out. :) (wish me luck) The hardest part is lugging the buckets up the stairs cuz the range is in the basement.

The weather is gonna totally suck for working outside at the rifle range, etc.