PDA

View Full Version : Now live on Amazon.

Recluse
04-25-2012, 04:28 PM
A week or so early, but what the heck.

For those of you who were wanting the e-book version, it's now available. I was told it went "live" around 10:00 a.m.

A friend of mine "tweeted" about it which then got re-tweeted and re-tweeted again (don't those little tweet birds get hoarse or something?). A pilot buddy e-mailed his group and so now it's on, I guess.

Here is the link:

Above Reproach (http://www.amazon.com/Above-Reproach-ebook/dp/B007WWN1JQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1335384151&sr=8-1)

The rest of the schedule is still on, so far as I know.

I'm thinking for the print editions that I may sign and number the first five, then put them up for a benefit auction to help take care of Ken and the forum here. Not exactly sure how to handle the details on that so I'm open to ideas.

Thanks.

:coffee:

hardcase54
04-25-2012, 06:04 PM
Have to wait for the Nook version.

pmeisel
04-25-2012, 08:35 PM
I'll be giving it a read.

R.M.
04-25-2012, 09:03 PM
It's on my Kindle now.

Ickisrulz
04-25-2012, 10:46 PM
It's on my Kindle now.

Mine too.

ph4570
04-25-2012, 10:54 PM
Cool. I will snag it.

tubb_ooh_lard
04-25-2012, 11:02 PM
i have a question for recluse . but please dont take this as me wanting to start an arguement or any such nonsense .

recluse , are you a vender/sponser for cast boolits ?

Recluse
04-25-2012, 11:37 PM
i have a question for recluse . but please dont take this as me wanting to start an arguement or any such nonsense .

recluse , are you a vender/sponser for cast boolits ?

Well, I suppose if I added up how much money I've donated to the site as well as a number of members here, not to mention causes here over the years . . .

I talked to Ken about this and decided since the book does NOT have anything to do with boolit casting and could probably only be used as flux (and then, only the print version), that it would be better for the forum if I simply continued to donate to the board and especially to member causes rather than becoming a vendor/sponsor for a product that has nothing to do with casting.

I have also discussed this with a few of the original, long-term moderators in regards to using signed versions of the book as fundraisers in the benefit auctions area for both Ken and the forum.

Dale53
04-26-2012, 12:01 AM
Recluse;
Congratulations on hitting the "big time"! I have downloaded the book onto my Kindle and will start reading it immediately.

Dale53

tubb_ooh_lard
04-26-2012, 12:02 AM
good enough for me

thank you sir

Bullet Caster
04-26-2012, 01:00 AM
Thanks for the update, JD. I wish you only continued success with your book.

Castboolit members:

This is a very well written book and I strongly urge all those who can to please read it. It is a very good read with all the important socio-political issues that frequent our newspapers daily. Once you start reading, you won't be able to put it down. At least I couldn't. BC

waksupi
04-26-2012, 01:25 AM
I agree that you want some reading time set aside. You will find yourself reading late into the night.

JeffinNZ
04-26-2012, 05:11 AM
Splendid. I will ask SWMBO if she can pull down a copy onto her Kindle for me to read.

Great to see.

lbaize3
04-26-2012, 07:55 AM
It is really worth the read. Get it!

R.M.
04-26-2012, 08:39 AM
Yup, I was up half the night. Can't put it down.

Bob Krack
04-26-2012, 06:42 PM
Like a couple others imply. I got a couple of days ago and quite often read to get sleepy.

Guess what? I was goshdurn sleepy before I finished it!

GOOD read.

Bob

Dale53
04-27-2012, 12:07 AM
Well, I am at Chapter 35 (68% of the way through) and this book is dynamite! It is a great tale extremely well written - best I have seen for years!

Recluse, you're da MAN!

Further report to follow...

Dale53

R.M.
04-27-2012, 10:12 AM
Finished it about 2:00 this morning. My kind of read. Well done.

Recluse
04-27-2012, 11:04 AM
Thanks for the kind words and for those who've finished (or nearly finished) the book, I'm glad you enjoyed it.

At present, it's available on Amazon and the Sony e-reader bookstore, and maybe the Apple iBookstore (don't have the app for checking) but by mid/late May, it will be available in a lot of place. But Amazon is THE outlet for book sales. I got an e-mail from the publisher this morning and she told me that in the first forty-eight hours, the book has gone from the bottom of Amazon's sales rankings to the top 8%. We've really done no marketing or publicity for this thing yet other than pitching it to friends, a few blogs and here at Cast Boolits.

Interestingly enough, we're recording sales in quite a few countries outside the U.S., especially Canada, Australia and New Zealand as well as Peru (thanks Mike :)), Argentina, Mexico and some countries in Europe.

Thanks again.

fishhawk
04-27-2012, 11:21 AM
I was one of the "few" that got it to proof a couple months ago. This book is down right a scary scenario once you start you won't stop! Hope there's a sequel on the way! steve k

glw
04-28-2012, 11:28 AM
I just bought it as well, even though I read the earlier proof copy. It is an excellent work. I am very glad to hear the excellent response you have been getting!

Glenn

Dale53
04-28-2012, 01:01 PM
Well, I have finished the book. AGAIN, it is a dynamite read. I have read 115 books on my Kindle in the past year or so. This one I finished in three days! It was a nail biter right up to the end.

I kind of agree with the great playwright, George Bernard Shaw, that "Comparisons are odious" (ergo they stink) but I couldn't help comparing Recluse's book to the one I read before it. Both had a good story line (Recluse's was EXCELLENT) but the glaring difference is that Recluse can WRITE! He not only keeps you sitting on the edge of your seat, but he is a gifted craftsman - and that seems to be increasingly rare, these days.

Now, I can't wait to see the MOVIE!

Good show all 'round!

Dale53

Matt_G
04-28-2012, 01:38 PM
Have to wait for the Nook version.

Same here.
Yes I know I could just by the print version, but I would rather read on my Nook.
Think that will happen Recluse?

DCP
04-28-2012, 09:57 PM
I will be needing flux soon. :kidding: So when will the REAL book be printed.

"could probably only be used as flux (and then, only the print version)"

ps

Its on my wifes Kindle, my phone and PC

Recluse
04-29-2012, 12:31 AM
I will be needing flux soon. :kidding: So when will the REAL book be printed.

"could probably only be used as flux (and then, only the print version)"

ps

Its on my wifes Kindle, my phone and PC

Ha ha!

Trust me, I have LOTS of flux from some of the early versions. . . flux, insulation, fireplace kindling, fishwrap, etc.

Thanks for picking it up and hope you enjoy it.

jswaff
04-30-2012, 07:14 AM
Got it on my Kindle last night. Now to find the time to start reading.

cephas53
04-30-2012, 01:17 PM
Good stuff, once into it couldn't stop. Agree with above poster, when's the movie coming out?

Recluse
05-01-2012, 11:41 PM
Must've done something right--I'm getting some real nice "love mail" from some anti-gun type groups. . . Some girl wrote me about how guns on college campus "like in your idiotic paranoid example in Tulsa" would only result in a slaughter. . .

I guess she didn't read the part where an armed citizen killed the bad guys and thus kept more UNARMED students from being slaughtered.

[smilie=f:

Antis just don't get it. They just don't.

waksupi
05-02-2012, 12:41 AM
JD, congratulations on the anti gunners getting involved. They will drive your sales up! Way to go! They hate it when their narrow little minds get wedged open with some truth.

snuffy
05-02-2012, 09:13 PM
Now you went and did it! I had to buy a kindle so I too could read it. That's okay, I've been intending to get one for some time. It should be here tomorrow.

What's this about wireless downloading? Only thing wireless around here is my mouse.

Dale53
05-02-2012, 10:39 PM
snuffy;
I have a wireless modem so all the computers in my household (normally mine, my wife's, and a laptop) are connected without wiring. My laptop works from anywhere in the house.

I set my Kindle up to connect to my wireless set up, also.

However, you can download the book onto your computer, then connect your Kindle to the computer and download the book to your Kindle. It is kind of cumbersome, compared to wireless, but will work just fine. When you have a wireless set up, you just turn the wireless on the Kindle on (it is normally "off" to save your battery) and when "on" the book will download itself (along with any other books you have on the Amazon server). I have read at least 120 books from my Kindle in the last year or so.

The Kindle instructions are easily understood. You'll learn to love it!

Dale53

Recluse
05-02-2012, 11:33 PM
Now you went and did it! I had to buy a kindle so I too could read it. That's okay, I've been intending to get one for some time. It should be here tomorrow.

What's this about wireless downloading? Only thing wireless around here is my mouse.

Snuffy,

I originally bought my Kindle as a research tool since I knew I'd be releasing the book initially as an e-book. I wanted to see what the big deal was with e-readers, how they felt, how the formatting looked, etc.

Figured there was no way I'd ever prefer an e-reader to an old-fashioned paper & ink book.

I was wrong. Big time.

I'm quickly adding titles--old and new--to my Kindle and MUCH prefer it to paper & ink books for fiction novels. It's thinner, lighter, just as easy to read (believe it or not--and in some cases, easier to read because you can highlight or zoom in on text) and I can carry a large number of books around on one little thin device. It makes packing an overnight or travel bag much simpler.

New releases cost a LOT less on e-book than in traditional hardback/premium paperback versions.

As far as the wireless goes, our house is on the Apple Airport Extreme wireless system and I can surf the net or work on the laptop anywhere in the house, the garage out on the deck or out in my reloading shop--no cables needed. The Kindle is also wireless which means you can download book purchases anywhere there is wi-fi or free wi-fi.

You can order a book on Amazon, have it delivered to your Kindle, then if you don't have wireless at your house, simply stop by your local McDonalds or Chick-Fil-A or any other place that has free wi-fi, turn your Kindle (and its wireless feature) on and your books will download.

It is absolutely cool!

snuffy
05-03-2012, 10:07 AM
Thanks for the tips. I only hope it comes with some sort of cable to connect to my puter. I got the recharger, why the heck would they sell it WITHOUT a way to charge it?

I DO believe I will like the Kindle, I have always thought there has to be a better way to read a book. Paperbacks are hard to read in close to the binding. And unbalanced except in the exact middle of the book. Muscle fatigue is a real factor during long reading sessions, the weight of the book and holding one position can generate cramps, at least for me. Then getting the light in exactly the right intensity so it doesn't glare on the pages.

They're dragging me kicking and screaming into the 21st century!:coffee:

OIC, you can charge it by plugging the provided USB cord into to your computer. Also use that cord to download the book. I have to wait until it gets here, and I have is registered before buying the book.

I have no plans on getting wireless set up here. I only have this old dell clunker computer, no other need for wireless.

Dale53
05-03-2012, 03:07 PM
The Kindle cord that comes with the Kindle converts back and forth from an USB cord to an A/C charge cord. Slickest thing you ever saw. One cord does duty for both connecting to the computer and charging the Kindle from an A/C outlet.

I have even used my Kindle to borrow books from the Ohio Library Consortium (that allows you to borrow, for two weeks, a current best seller though your local library, at no charge (you do need a library card). After two weeks, the library removes (can you believe it) the book. You do have to sign up for the books and if it is a popular book you may have to wait awhile. You can sign up for a number of books in advance (just like reserving a popular hard back novel at the library) and you will be notified when you can download it.

Going wireless is a great convenience, but, by no means, necessary to fully enjoy the Kindle.

FWIW
Dale53

41 mag fan
05-03-2012, 04:20 PM
If its anything like some of the stories Recluse has come up with on here, it oughta be a good read!! :coffeecom

snuffy
05-03-2012, 06:26 PM
If its anything like some of the stories Recluse has come up with on here, it oughta be a good read!!

It certainly is!

Got the kindle, plugged it in, registered it, found out there's wi-fi somewhere in my area that I could use. Ordered the book, it downloaded via wi-fi and wispernet, took less than 10 seconds to download! Isn't technology great?!

Told my son about it, he's got loads of tech gadgets, says he can't wait to see it.

I like it a lot already, have only scratched the surface of what it can do. No more bothersome turning pages, do I have one page or three? Did I mention I hate paper? Never behaves itself or acts like it should.

SharpsShooter
05-05-2012, 04:49 PM
Print Version!!! When??? I am old school and still cap-able of turning pages!!!

SS

alamogunr
05-05-2012, 05:02 PM
Well! I know the next book I'm going to download. I mentioned in another thread that I had to get my own Kindle because my wife wouldn't let me touch the one I gave her for Christmas.

As a side note, I bought several kinds of adapters and cords so the Kindles could be charged from a wall socket or the lighter receptacle in the car. The USB port is sort of slow charging.

snuffy
05-06-2012, 12:32 PM
I finished the book at 4 am this morning!:coffeecom Gonna need a couple cups o' joe to get woke up. Let that be a warning to anybody that hasn't read it yet, Don't read the last 1/3 of the book unless you can sleep-in the next day!:brokenima

JD, that was a very enjoyable read. I love action type novels, and this one would be a great movie! A book gives the author the chance to develop the characters. You can imagine what the characters look like using your imagination.

My son stopped by to have me drill his new tritium(?) front sight on his CZ P0-1. Showed him the kindle, he was fascinated by it. Now I know what to get him for his 29th B-day on May 31st.:grin:

When's the next one coming out?[smilie=1: After all the work, research, and headaches you probably want to take some time off before starting another one!

Recluse
05-06-2012, 06:18 PM
Print Version!!! When??? I am old school and still cap-able of turning pages!!!

SS

I'm working on getting the print edition available by Memorial Day weekend. Plan is to have some on hand and sell from my website for autographed copies.

Cost will be the same as if buying from Barnes & Noble or Amazon or anyone else--retail price plus shipping.

I finished the book at 4 am this morning!:coffeecom Gonna need a couple cups o' joe to get woke up. Let that be a warning to anybody that hasn't read it yet, Don't read the last 1/3 of the book unless you can sleep-in the next day!:brokenima

JD, that was a very enjoyable read. I love action type novels, and this one would be a great movie! A book gives the author the chance to develop the characters. You can imagine what the characters look like using your imagination.

My son stopped by to have me drill his new tritium(?) front sight on his CZ P0-1. Showed him the kindle, he was fascinated by it. Now I know what to get him for his 29th B-day on May 31st.:grin:

When's the next one coming out?[smilie=1: After all the work, research, and headaches you probably want to take some time off before starting another one!

Thanks for the kind words, Snuffy and glad you enjoyed it.

I'm working to get the next book out and available by the first week in October. The essence of this book will be average Americans taking back their "financial and business" world from Big Government, Big Business and Wall Street.

I once wrote a column in which I lamented about how I remembered "when Wall Street used to reflect our economy rather than dictating it." In the book, I'm going to have small-business owners working with their customers and each other to take a large portion of control back. Naturally this will upset Big Business who will send out their "intimidators" to try and harass or scare the small businesses, or try to simply buy them out.

But how many "No Guns" signs to do you see in the windows of small family-owned businesses? :) Not too damned many. And here will be yet another example of how the Second Amendment defends the other amendments and us from tyranny.