PDA

View Full Version : Pewter shopping today

hickfu
04-24-2012, 09:58 PM
My son wanted me to help him take his futon to the thrift store today so I figured it was a good excuse to look for more pewter, not that I needed any more.
I found 2 pieces a cup and a plate. the cup was 6oz and cost .99 and the plate (also 6oz) didn't have a price tag so I asked if they could put a price on it. The woman took it to the back and came out with a price of 1.49 so of course I bought them both. Well I always try to look up things if they have a serial numbers on them. The plate is numbered so I looked it up and from what I can see its a Rare first issue plate from 1973. http://www.scandiagifts.com/First_Issue_Plates.htm The one I have is the one on the bottom. 4 years ago one was listed on ebay for $200.00 and I almost put it in
to the pot when I got home!!

http://i510.photobucket.com/albums/s344/VenturaMeanie/Guns/pewterplate.jpg
http://i510.photobucket.com/albums/s344/VenturaMeanie/Guns/pewterplate2.jpg

Doc

gbrown
04-24-2012, 10:16 PM
All I can say is "SWEET!"

imashooter2
04-24-2012, 11:14 PM
Was it listed or did it sell?

hickfu
04-25-2012, 12:08 AM
it sold, there are more on Ebay at this time the newer ones are listed for like 25.00 but the older ones are listed for between 100.00 and 350.00. I dont know what this one is worth but its more then my price of 1.49 :awesome:

Maybe I will list it or call that company to see what they go for? anything to get more lead!!!

Doc

imashooter2
04-25-2012, 06:57 AM
Well good luck with it then.

Jal5
04-25-2012, 02:13 PM
Nice find!

Boolseye
04-25-2012, 02:49 PM
I love pewter. I drop a few strips in whenever I cast, helps to sweeten up the alloy.

dbarnhart
04-25-2012, 06:52 PM
Reminds me that a middle-aged female co-worker approached me a few years ago. She knew I play the banjo and related that she had a banjo that was given to her late husband many years before, and asked me if I could find out if it was worth anything. I opened the case and it was a Gibson. Not only that a little research showed that its serial number was in the range that made it highly sought after.

She ended up getting $8,000 for that banjo.

hickfu
04-25-2012, 06:53 PM
Yup, me too, When I picked this up at the thrift store my son wanted to bend it up so it would fit in the pot. I told him to hold on because I wanted to check on it since it was numbered. Hey if some pewter plate loving eBayer will pay for some more lead for my boolits :awesome: I think I have enough pewter to last a very long time but I really like looking when I go out, if its cheap... I pick it up

Doc

hickfu
04-25-2012, 06:55 PM
Reminds me that a middle-aged female co-worker approached me a few years ago. She knew I play the banjo and related that she had a banjo that was given to her late husband many years before, and asked me if I could find out if it was worth anything. I opened the case and it was a Gibson. Not only that a little research showed that its serial number was in the range that made it highly sought after.

She ended up getting $8,000 for that banjo.

WOW, now that is a really good find for her. Not too often you come across a Gibson banjo!!

Doc

John in WI
04-25-2012, 07:53 PM
there's another one to put on my growing list of "stuff that is never going to happen to me" !!

leadbutt
04-25-2012, 08:07 PM
Whenever i come across a piece of pewter i havent seen before i always do the ebay search too. Ya just never know....

L. Bottoms