PDA

View Full Version : Slug fest

Muddydogs
04-24-2012, 08:15 PM
I had a slug fest after work and have some questions. I melted pure ish lead in empty cases to make my slugs and do have to say they worked great. There is a nice taper to the slug from the thicker part of the case as it tapers into the case web which makes starting the slug easy. Just make sure to almost fill the case with lead or there wont be enough flat surface to get a good measurement. Cases like the .44 and 45 have a long taper, over a 1/4 inch and cases like the .40, .38 have under 1/4 inch taper.

Anyway here are my results:

1. XD .40 #1 slugged at .400 on 2 grooves and .399 on 2 grooves. I have a Lee .401 push through die which should be good all things being equal?

2. XD .40 #2 Slugged at .400 on all grooves

3. Kahr .40 slugged at .398. Not sure what gives with this pistol. Will I get excessive leading if I shoot .401 bullets?

I would like to cast one size to shoot out of all 3 .40 pistols but not sure if practical with the Kahr?

I slugged 3 S&W revolvers which of course have 5 grooves so nothing lines up for a good measurement. The cylinders on the 2 .357 calibers slugged at .357 and a bore slugged bullet would not rotate in calibers locked at .356, rotated with some catching when the calipers where locked at .357 and rotated freely with calipers locked at .358 which would indicate to me that the grooves are probably very close to .357. I figure that as the bullet is rotated inside the locked calipers that there has to be places that the edges of 2 grooves across from each other are lined up however small an area that is. Not sure if this is a some what viable way to measure but the bullet coming out of the cylinder is going to be .357 so it doesn't matter if the bore is bigger and since the bullet would not rotate when the calipers were locked at .356 I figure the bore has to be bigger then .356 so a mold and sizer die turning out .358 bullets should be good. Yes, no, or I have no idea what I'm talking about?

The 3rd S&W revolver slugged a cylinder of .429 and doing the above locked caliper deal I ended up figuring that the grooves also measured .429 so I am looking at a .430 mold and sizer die for this right?

My .45 did measure at .451 so that should be an easy .452 for die and mold.

Thanks for the help guys.

williamwaco
04-24-2012, 10:23 PM
I must confess, I never thought of that.

It is a good idea.

But,

How did you get the slugs out of the cases?

frkelly74
04-24-2012, 10:49 PM
Inertial bullet puller and hammer away. That is how I would attempt it.

Muddydogs
04-24-2012, 11:26 PM
Yep a bullet puller and a couple wacks kicks the lead right out. Wish it was my idea but I saw a video on Youtube showing this.