PDA

View Full Version : Linotype 50# pigs (new) 300 lbs. Worth

Pop_No_Kick
07-03-2005, 02:50 AM
A friend came buy the house i was casting some .38 spec. He ask me if i could sell some linotype for him, I Said Why Not.

Next thing I got 300 LBS of this stuff on my Porch. I knew he was a printer
I didn't know he had this stuff.

The Pigs Look Good But 50 lbs is to big! I told hime aprox $1.00 a lb.?
I Could break them Down to std. RCBS 1 lb's ingots for direct drop in cruc's

Anyway if you need some I Got Some.
I know the postage is more than its Price... hehehe

Thanks
Chuck [smilie=2:

Frank46
07-03-2005, 03:04 AM
Chuck, if you are going to meet me at the show in lafayette and want to sell some lino, why don't you bring two bars and will pay you at the show. Always
looking to score some linotype. Frank

Pop_No_Kick
07-03-2005, 03:10 AM
How u Been out there in the barry. I got your ph.#
not a prob. for the Lino,
I also have some #2 already made up..

Chuck

Leftoverdj
07-03-2005, 10:29 PM
Pop, if you are gonna break it down, cut it in 10" chunks. If you make ingots, aim for standard paper size. You can put up to 70 pounds in the USPS priority mail flat rate box for $7.85.

I'll take a box. Just tell me where to send the money.

Rrusse11
07-03-2005, 11:40 PM
Chuck,
As Emmett has pointed out, the USPS boxes will work, PM me ur addy,
and I'll send some $'s.
Cheers,
R*2

Frank46
07-04-2005, 03:59 AM
Will be at the lafayette show no later than 10:00am, So if thats alright by you. Frank

Pop_No_Kick
07-04-2005, 09:24 AM
A friend came buy the house i was casting some .38 spec. He ask me if i could sell some linotype for him, I Said Why Not.

Next thing I got 300 LBS of this stuff on my Porch. I knew he was a printer
I didn't know he had this stuff.

The Pigs Look Good But 50 lbs is to big! I told hime aprox $1.00 a lb.?
I Could break them Down to std. RCBS 1 lb's ingots for direct drop in cruc's

Anyway if you need some I Got Some.
I know the postage is more than its Price... hehehe

Thanks
Chuck [smilie=2:
My Wife Works for the Local University. Anyhow I took a sample to
the Chemistry Dept. and they ran this thru a fancy Mass Spectrometer.

The results in Human form is.

83 % lead -- Galena (sulfide) Pb
12 % antimony --Stibnite (sulfide)
04 % Tin -- Cassiterite (oxide)
<.01 % Arsenic -- Arsenopyrite, enargite (misc)
<.06 % Bismouth -- Pb smelting by-product

#'s Are Rounded to many 0's
And a Whole Bunch of trace Stuff. Not enough to mention.
Just to let ya'll know what ya'll are getting.

Now My Q is "Is This Linotype ? " Since no-one I know's the formula for
this stuff.

I made some #2 Cast in .357 Mould C358-158 SWC
They Came out in the range of 155-160 Gr, Air cooled.
I believe this is lino because the weght more or less came out..

I Don't have to be "SMART" I Just keep smart people around me !

Happy 4th. [smilie=s:

Chuck.

Pop_No_Kick
07-04-2005, 09:30 AM
Will be at the lafayette show no later than 10:00am, So if thats alright by you. Frank
Looking Forward to it! I'll Bring the Lino + a few more bars incase you
get an urge...hehhehe...

Also, Thanks for the info on the M1 Carbine, I did not place the order
with Midway Yet. I think I should change out the springs because it's
CHEAP!, also thanx's for the tips about the rails!

Chuck

Rrusse11
07-04-2005, 10:06 AM
My Wife Works for the Local University. Anyhow I took a sample to
the Chemistry Dept. and they ran this thru a fancy Mass Spectrometer.

The results in Human form is.

83 % lead -- Galena (sulfide) Pb
12 % antimony --Stibnite (sulfide)
04 % Tin -- Cassiterite (oxide)
<.01 % Arsenic -- Arsenopyrite, enargite (misc)
<.06 % Bismouth -- Pb smelting by-product

#'s Are Rounded to many 0's
And a Whole Bunch of trace Stuff. Not enough to mention.
Just to let ya'll know what ya'll are getting.

Now My Q is "Is This Linotype ? " Since no-one I know's the formula for
this stuff.

I made some #2 Cast in .357 Mould C358-158 SWC
They Came out in the range of 155-160 Gr, Air cooled.
I believe this is lino because the weght more or less came out..

I Don't have to be "SMART" I Just keep smart people around me !

Happy 4th. [smilie=s:

Chuck.

Chuck,
Sure is Linotype,,,, Midway sells there linotype alloy as 84% Lead; 12% Antimony; and 4% Tin.
Cheers,
R*2

Tom Myers
07-04-2005, 10:17 AM
Chuck

You asked about the formula for linotype: I cannot vouch for accuracy, hoever the limited research performed while working up a simple alloy calculator resulted in the following formulas and stats shown in the attachment.

Tom Myers

Tom Myers
07-04-2005, 10:31 AM
Interesting.

The Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook, copyrighted in 1980 and printed in January 1992 shows the percentages of Linotype as:
86% - 3% - 11%

And now we have Lynotype percentages specified as:
84% - 4% - 12%

Not a whole lot of difference, but are there different blends of Lino, or have the specs changed over the years?

Tom

Pop_No_Kick
07-04-2005, 11:52 AM
Chuck

You asked about the formula for linotype: I cannot vouch for accuracy, hoever the limited research performed while working up a simple alloy calculator resulted in the following formulas and stats shown in the attachment.

Tom Myers
Thanx's TOM ! ;-)

That Post was HARDCOPY worthy !

Bhn and everything..

Thanx's again
chuck

felix
07-04-2005, 02:55 PM
Tom, the specs for any alloy are quite nervy to say the least because of how the alloy was named in the first place. Chances are lino was deciphered as a named situation because there was a zero slush time when cooling from liquid to solid on some particular day. In a true lab atmoshpehre, with absolutely pure metals (?), you might find lino. It will be somewhere around what the books say. But, can you measure a zero slush time? I don't know what measurements would guarantee this point, but there must be some measurement that will work and can be used at home. ... felix

Let me add a little more insight here. Sundog and I came up with an unintentional "lino" ONCE when formulating something extremely hard. We know we had bismuth and copper, in addition to lead, tin, and antimony, and by all odds, we also had some aluminum and other undesirables. Our alloy had close to a zero slush time, very close, but no cigar. Water dropped boolits were indeed nails from this batch. Does this batch currently exist? Probably shot up years ago. No, it was not lino because lino does not get harder when water dropped. ... felix

JohnH
07-05-2005, 11:00 PM
Probably shot up years ago. No, it was not lino because lino does not get harder when water dropped. ... felix

Allowing for the fact that if one added arsenic, you'd no longer have lino....Wouldn't adding arsenic to lino allow the alloy ot be hardenable?(hardened shot could supply it) Would one gain anything for the effort, or simply have a high cost hardenable alloy that was in no way superior to heat treated WW?

felix
07-06-2005, 01:29 AM
Yes, John, you have it down pat. There must be some slush time for molecules to move around into different states than otherwise "normal" just before a freeze. Adding arsenic to "pure" lino will definitely permit the ability to heat treat. It's very hard for us boolit casters to come up with anything that will have a zero slush time in the first place, and more than likely the printers have had this problem as well after several freezings of their "pure". Besides, I don't think you can say the longer a slush time exists, the easier it is to heat treat, or that batch will become harder. The relationship is nowhere near linear, and probably should not even be brought up for conversation because there is nothing us home folks can do about it for repeatability. I am saying this through practical experience using "dirty" alloys. ... felix

Frank46
07-06-2005, 02:45 AM
Chuck, I was shooting some really old norma carbine ammo and could not figure out why some cases were not making it into the chamber. The carbine in question is a arlington "blue sky) and bbl is in nice shape. Disassembled the whole thing and took out the gas piston. Cleaned gas hole with pipe cleaner and hoppes.Not much carbon there. Then almost got snagged by the burr. Five minutes work with a small stone and polished w/dremel tool. No problems now. Check out some of the parts guys at the lafayette show. Picked up new piston and nut and recoil spring. Think it cost $15 bucks. Oh yeah, some guys put down the blue sky carbines because of the import stamp. But you have to remember that it came from south korea and was used to defend their homeland and it has a winchester proofed bbl. Frank

nighthunter
07-06-2005, 08:33 PM
aww jeez .... just drop it off at my house and save yourself a whole lot of trouble. I'll figure out what the usefullness of it is and then thank you for it in a public posting. I know you would do the same for me if the circumstances were reversed. After all we are "bullet Buddies" here.

Pop_No_Kick
07-15-2005, 03:59 AM
Chuck, I was shooting some really old norma carbine ammo and could not figure out why some cases were not making it into the chamber. The carbine in question is a arlington "blue sky) and bbl is in nice shape. Disassembled the whole thing and took out the gas piston. Cleaned gas hole with pipe cleaner and hoppes.Not much carbon there. Then almost got snagged by the burr. Five minutes work with a small stone and polished w/dremel tool. No problems now. Check out some of the parts guys at the lafayette show. Picked up new piston and nut and recoil spring. Think it cost $15 bucks. Oh yeah, some guys put down the blue sky carbines because of the import stamp. But you have to remember that it came from south korea and was used to defend their homeland and it has a winchester proofed bbl. Frank
Your GREAT !
That's what it was. The rods had some very small rough spots
on them. prob. from the orig. owner not cleaning the rifle
i used some 400 grit wet sand paper followed by some ultra fine steel wool. now this thang shot 100 rnds storeboughts
with-out one stopage!! shoots fast and some what accr.
also had no prob's with the 30 rnd. mags.

Thank's for the help Frank..
Look'n Forward to the Lafayette Gune show Saterday, So see ya' there. I'll Bring your Lino too.

Captain Midnight
07-15-2005, 09:18 AM
Let me add a little more insight here. Sundog and I came up with an unintentional "lino" ONCE when formulating something extremely hard. We know we had bismuth and copper, in addition to lead, tin, and antimony, and by all odds, we also had some aluminum and other undesirables. Our alloy had close to a zero slush time, very close, but no cigar. Water dropped boolits were indeed nails from this batch. Does this batch currently exist? Probably shot up years ago. No, it was not lino because lino does not get harder when water dropped. ... felix[/QUOTE]
Felix:
A ?. The local University indoor range shoots jacketed, 22rf, and our SinterFire Bullets that are 90%Cu/10%Sn. The resulting mix is cleaned annually from the range and I get the 5 "buckets". When I melt this "mix" down and pour it into ingots, what kind of "stuff" would you expect that I get in light of this thread? It seems to shoot like wheelweights for me. These are all rifle and pistol rounds for calibers I do not carry in frangibles.
Your experienced insight would be appreciated.
Captain

felix
07-15-2005, 11:56 AM
Rodney, if you don't get a sheeting look when you pour your melted range mix back and forth between "coffee" cans, you have a mix where the copper is very well mixed uniformily throughout the mix and is ready to make boolits with. A sheeting mix would be one where the copper is floating on top of the mix and freezes between pours which gives a solid look, much like the look of that tin man in the movies. When this occurs, just add more lead/tin to the mix to adsorb the "excess" copper. If you do not have any freezing indication, like a gumming up around the down pour spout while casting boolits, your mix is good enough to go!

I wonder if your boolits will shoot with authority in the Swede? Kelly and Joe, are you reading this? Perhaps, Rodney could ship you each a 20 one pounders box of non-sheeting range mix for trials. We need to solve this Swede problem once and for all.

felix