PDA

View Full Version : Gas Checks

Revolver
04-24-2012, 09:36 AM
Why are gas checks so costly? I'm seeing prices around $35/1000 + shipping, call it $40/1000. It seems that at 0.04/each they cost more than primers and I'm doubling the cost of each round I make for 357 magnum.

I definitely see and understand the purpose of gas checks and I use them but when plinking with the family in my back yard it seems like a waste of resources.

I can't imagine there is more than a few bucks worth of copper in a box of checks and they don't seem like a complicated production item. I am a guy that likes to do things myself so I'm sure one day I will end up making gas checks but the retail price of them seems out of line.

I suppose it's like buying overpriced factory ammo... either pay up or make it yourself. :Fire:

ku4hx
04-24-2012, 09:52 AM
"Whatever the market will bear". Just like all other components, and most everything else, prices have risen steadily for decades. Supply and demand, political decisions, government regulations ... all have a bearing.

When I first started loading, .30-'06 factory fodder was $0.25 per round; I could load one for about $0.08. Today, that eight cents will get me two, maybe three, primers. But my salary over the years rose too and I in fact stayed ahead of the inflation curve.

$35.00 for 1,000 gas checks works out to about the same as a single primer and there's no HazMat fee tacked onto S&H if you have to order them. Compared to other single use components, I don't consider that expensive, but that's just me.

I've got a buddy who keeps wanting me to try golf; says I'm a natural. Fact is, I can't afford another hobby in terms of either time or money. Every hobby has its embedded costs and for me gas checks is just part of the expense of doing what I enjoy.

44man
04-24-2012, 10:10 AM
I explained it best---metal from meteors or from unobtainium!
Maybe the Kripton stuff that would kill superman. :holysheep
They have no competition for checks, you are under their thumb. Speer and all other bullet makers should get into them and prices would drop.
I would buy them if made in China first.

45-70 Chevroner
04-24-2012, 10:13 AM
You don't really need a GC for plinking you can shoot the GC boolits without the gas check. Save your GCs for for more serious, shooting, hunting.

Larry Gibson
04-24-2012, 10:17 AM
The cost of GCs is increased by several "mark ups" (profits) as they go from metal manufacture, to GC maker, to wholesaler, to dealer, to you and don't forget to add in the transportation/shipping at each step. That's why they cost as much as they do. You can save some money and make your own BTW.

Also for the price of 1K GCs you can get a 6 cavity Lee mould in PB'd design to use as the "plinker" bullet and save the GC'd ones for top end loads where the GC is benificial. That's what i do with complete satisfaction.

Larry Gibson

waksupi
04-24-2012, 11:18 AM
If you are shooting revolver, get a plain base mold. You do not need a gas check on pistol bullets, as you are not shooting all that fast. Once you pass 1700 fps they become necessary.

Junior1942
04-24-2012, 11:22 AM
I recently ordered 5,000 7mm gaschecks through the site's group buy page. Total cost = $108.00. That's $21.60 per 1,000 including shipping.

geargnasher
04-24-2012, 07:33 PM
The cost of GCs is increased by several "mark ups" (profits) as they go from metal manufacture, to GC maker, to wholesaler, to dealer, to you and don't forget to add in the transportation/shipping at each step. That's why they cost as much as they do. You can save some money and make your own BTW.

Also for the price of 1K GCs you can get a 6 cavity Lee mould in PB'd design to use as the "plinker" bullet and save the GC'd ones for top end loads where the GC is benificial. That's what i do with complete satisfaction.

Larry Gibson

Big +1 on all that, Larry.

Gear

Bret4207
04-25-2012, 06:07 AM
Also figure in power costs, shipping costs, taxes, healthcare, taxes, inflation, taxes and a great big nod to the devalued dollar in relation to thew world market. Metal of any kind is obscenely expensive these days.

sav300
04-25-2012, 08:19 AM
.22 gas checks = au$ 56.00 and you complain? I pay from Blammer for several calibers and with postage is cheaper. 4# for ud$16 postage is good for me.A lot of checks in 4# too.

dnotarianni
04-25-2012, 08:19 AM
I use a gas check with all my 500 smith loads. Even though the big slugs (630gr) are only flying at 800-900fps I like the way my bore doesn't lead at all and I can use the same 10-12bhn lead that I use for my 45. The .05 cents a bullet doesn't bother me when my loaded round cost for the 500 is only .13-.14 vs $2.00+ for factory. I got a lot of free 10-12bhn lead but if I was to use a PB bullet I would have to buy some alloy to harden up my mix and my alloy cost would rise so the gas check cost is a wash for me.

dave

HighHook
04-25-2012, 09:59 AM
I usually shoot a bunch of Plain Base then shoot a few Gas Checked boolits to Clean things up...

lead chucker
04-25-2012, 10:42 PM
Make your own gas checks, it adds to the fun and satisfaction of making your own ammo.

Jim Flinchbaugh
04-26-2012, 05:46 PM
Look up Blammer on the group buy page, way better pricing than anyone else

MtGun44
04-27-2012, 01:54 AM
+1 on waksupi.

GCs are a waste of money on pistol boolits.

The cost issue is because they are made of copper and copper is in short supply worldwide,
with a significant issue being that China is adding electrical power at a furious rate and
wires everywhere. I have heard they are building a new 250 Mw powerplant every two
weeks - IIRC.

Bill

Revolver
04-27-2012, 07:38 AM
Look up Blammer on the group buy page, way better pricing than anyone else

Thanks for the pointer... that looks great!

The cost issue is because they are made of copper and copper is in short supply worldwide...
Bill

I'm not so sure about that. Today copper is going for under $4/lb and there is under a pound in most boxes of 1000 checks.

Hardcast416taylor
04-27-2012, 11:47 AM
Has anyone figured labor costs into the total cost yet?Robert