PDA

View Full Version : Alternate Tin source

Sasquatch-1
04-24-2012, 08:17 AM
If you are in need of tin you may want to check out some stained glass supply houses. They still sell 50/50 and 60/40 for soldering panels together. Just checked one (Delphi Glass) and if bought in quanity you can get 50/50 for under $10.00 a pound. Sounds expensive but if you need it you need it.

Larry Gibson
04-24-2012, 10:33 AM
The cost of tin does sound expensive but when you see how little is actually needed it really isn't that expensive. This is especially the case with adding 2% tin to COWWs to really, really improve the quality of the alloy. 10 lbs of COWWs only needs 3.2 oz of tin to vastly improve the alloy. A 1 lb bar of 50/50 solder will take care of 22.5 lbs of COWW alloy.

I find it easier to just get the pure tin from a supplier that way I'm not paying a premium price for the 50% lead and cost to make the solder which I don't really need.

Larry Gibson

captaint
04-24-2012, 11:51 AM
A couple years back I started accumulating pewter for tin. When I melted it, I ended up with about 25 lbs. I still have like 90% of it. It does go a long way.. enjoy MIke

blademasterii
04-24-2012, 06:51 PM
I was just looking the other day and walmart carries tin split shot sinkers. Several other large retailers also carry them. I wasnt able to get a weight to price ratio, but it is an available source.