PDA

View Full Version : Lyman 429244 Questions

JScott
04-08-2007, 10:20 PM
I recently picked up a used Lyman 429244 mold and would like to try it without gaschecks(it is a gascheck design). I have had poor luck trying my Lee 8mm rifle mold without gaschecks but this was my only attempt at this. Anyone else shoot this bullet without checks and are you having success? Also curious whether this bullet is supposed to have 2 lube grooves and crimp over the shoulder or whether the top groove is a crimp groove. The top groove looks deeper and wider than the crimp grooves on my other molds and it would seem the bottom groove alone is awfully small to be the only lube groove, the Keith styles have a much bigger single groove. Thanks in advance for your help.

sundog
04-08-2007, 11:12 PM
The top groove is a crimp groove, but you can crimp over the top band if your oal is too long to fit or function. Remember, when doing that you reduce the case capacity and raise pressure for the same powder charge. On another thread we've been discussing a couple of moulds I picked up last week, 358495 and 429244, 4-bangers, and BruceB reported having shot the 429244 very well sans GC. I have not tried it.

My experience with both rifle and pissola boolits that are designed for a GC is they generally work best with a GC, as designed. Of course, there are always exceptions. You just gotta try. sundog

JScott
04-09-2007, 07:36 AM
I don't think overall lenth will be a concern in my Super Blackhawk, just curious as it looked different than the crimp grooves on my other molds and that bottom groove looked kind of small to be the only lube groove. Only way to know for sure is to try as you suggested. Thanks for the response.

Shuz
04-09-2007, 10:10 AM
JScott--sundog got it right, you gotta try shooting it without checks and see how it works for you. My experience mirrors his, in that, if a boolit is designed for a check, shooting with one works best. I'll go one step further and say that shooting gas checked designs, sans checks, has not been a good or worthwhile experience for me!

Ricochet
04-09-2007, 04:30 PM
I put checks on mine and use them for full power loads. Mine's a hollow point mould.) I lube in both grooves, but crimp in the top one. Works fine that way. Actually, it'd probably work best if I dipped or tumbled them in such manner that the hollow point ended up full of lube. I think I'd have to crimp over the top band to shoot it in my Marlin. If you look closely at that top groove, it's beveled on the bottom for crimping. The bottom groove isn't as big as on a Keith, but it works fine.