PDA

View Full Version : Frangible "Lead" in the backstop?

NYer
04-23-2012, 10:04 PM
Saw an ad from Midway today for bulk frangible projectiles at reasonable prices. Reading the fine print says copper and tin are the ingredients. I guess that in the outdoor ranges we are out of luck collecting any of the goodies (powder). Indoor ranges with traps might be better off.
Anyone have any evidence in the pot of frangible bullets being used?

John in WI
04-25-2012, 05:59 PM
I've never experienced it, but it seems to me if tin and copper are the ONLY ingredients (ie, no zinc) that you could use it as a source of tin at least?

The copper should float to the top because it's melting point is ~2000F vs. ~450F for tin, or 620F for lead. At least when I made ingots out of regular range scrap, I didn't have any problem separating copper jackets. A little flux, and they were easy to skim off the top.

imashooter2
04-25-2012, 06:38 PM
The scrap I get from indoor ranges with armor plate backstops contains a lot of powder. I'm not sure how you could tell the difference between frangible bullet powder and that of any other projectile.

NYer
04-26-2012, 06:00 PM
Well Remington is marketing frangible bullets to the Green indoor shooter - no lead - no back spashing copper jackets - still punches paper. So if we see more ranges outlawing Evil Lead bullets (frangible is cheaper than copper jacketed) I suspect we will see a lot of copper colored dust in the bucket.

B D