PDA

View Full Version : Exposure Time

Hickory
04-23-2012, 06:01 PM
I have read on this site that some of you cast in long sessions.
I have been told more than once to limit my exposure when handling lead.

One hour is about all I ever cast or size/lube them. then I go into the house and wash my hands three times to remove the lead.

You gents ever worry about over exposure to lead?

fecmech
04-23-2012, 07:32 PM
I'd worry more about shooting on an indoor range than casting bullets or smelting WW's. The only time I ever had elevated lead levels was when I did a lot of indoor range shooting a few winters back. IMO handling lead is no big deal. I don't smoke or lick my hands but I do have to occasionally breathe when I shoot indoors.

762 shooter
04-23-2012, 08:43 PM
I have been casting on and off since about 1990.

I clean my lead outside and stay upwind as much as possible.

I always have some type of gloves on when handling lead.

When I cast I have a large window fan on the other side of the pot sucking air from behind me over the pot and away from my lungs. I have cast for 6 hours with a break for lunch.

I have had several lead tests attached to my blood work and they have all come back less than 1 mcg/dl....... 25 mcg/dl is considered elevated in adults.

I will keep getting tests done every 3 or 4 years just to make sure.

My experiences. YMMV

buyobuyo
04-23-2012, 09:07 PM
Lead doesn't absorb through skin contact. You have to eat it or breath it. To get lead vapor off your casting or smelting pot you have to be WAY above normal casting temperatures. Don't start chewing on boolits/ingots or licking your fingers right after handling, and you'll be fine.

I'm of the opinion that you have a better chance of lead exposure from brass tumbling, especially if uncovered, and depriming. Primers are made from lead styphanate, so primer residue is lead based.

captaint
04-24-2012, 12:13 PM
Plus one of the indoor shooting - for sure... I also go outside when separating the brass in the tumbler. DO wash the hands whenever there's any question about exposure. I had to get my levels down - mine were up to about 20, if I remember correctly. Last test the number was 7. Progress.... enjoy Mike

zuke
04-24-2012, 01:00 PM
I also heard the worst exposure was from tumbling media and indoor range's.