PDA

View Full Version : Lyman Mag 20 Bad Thermostat?

keeper89
07-03-2005, 12:48 AM
Hello to everyone. This is my first post as a new member to this forum. Been reloading since 79 and casting since 81. Just went down to the basement to resupply my stock of boolits and found the pot would warm up then shut down. Think my thermostat went south since my last casting session. I'm a marathon type caster, usually take a two week vacation in the winter and spend most of it throwing various boolits, make enough to last me a year or so. Anyway, the pot is a Lyman Mag 20 and I would appreciate any advice about changing out the thermostat or contacting Lyman to send it in for repair. Breaks my heart to have to (shudder) purchase boolits!!!! Thanks in advance for any assistance..................

Pop_No_Kick
07-03-2005, 01:45 AM
Hello to everyone. This is my first post as a new member to this forum. Been reloading since 79 and casting since 81. Just went down to the basement to resupply my stock of boolits and found the pot would warm up then shut down. Think my thermostat went south since my last casting session. I'm a marathon type caster, usually take a two week vacation in the winter and spend most of it throwing various boolits, make enough to last me a year or so. Anyway, the pot is a Lyman Mag 20 and I would appreciate any advice about changing out the thermostat or contacting Lyman to send it in for repair. Breaks my heart to have to (shudder) purchase boolits!!!! Thanks in advance for any assistance..................

Keeper89 When I got my Lee 10# free the t-stat was bad (I guess thats why it was free) any way My Dad is a chef. (ret.) Had Comercial Kitchen supply
Connection (he bought whole Kitchen equipment for Hi-end Country clubs
Any way My Little brother took it to them and i got it back the same day
they did replace the t-stat (4 freeeeee) :grin:
I Don't know what they cost Prob. about $15.00 but check out a Comercial
Kitchen supply house i'm sure they will have it. Mine was't anything special
My 10#er Heats up fast! and holds a good temp..

I hope it helps...
P.S. if one is not in your area. Pull yours out get the numbers
http://www.pcappliancerepair.com They Can Get it for ya if only you get the
make and #'s off it...

Good Luck
chuck

Frank46
07-03-2005, 04:46 AM
chuck, take off the plastic dial on the theromstat, you should see a small brass screw within the handlle. TRy rotating it clockwise and check your melt with a thermostat. If temp goes up problem solved, if not then try counterclockwise. Sometime this works. If you do not see and decent temp increse then the thermo is definitely trashed. Hope this works. Frank

44man
07-06-2005, 04:07 PM
I have had to take my thermostat out many times over the years. The points get burned from repeated use. Being careful to not bend anything, the points can be filed with a point file or polished with some fine sandpaper on a thin piece of metal. Then the adjustment screw can be set. It does no good to adjust the screw with burned points.
Lyman will send you a new thermostat and you can then clean up the old one for a spare.

wills
07-06-2005, 04:59 PM
Possibly can order the part and do it yourself

http://www.lymanproducts.com/lymanproducts/Instruction%20Guide%2012.pdf

http://www.lymanproducts.com/store/page148.html

Pop_No_Kick
07-07-2005, 12:42 AM
chuck, take off the plastic dial on the theromstat, you should see a small brass screw within the handlle. TRy rotating it clockwise and check your melt with a thermostat. If temp goes up problem solved, if not then try counterclockwise. Sometime this works. If you do not see and decent temp increse then the thermo is definitely trashed. Hope this works. Frank
Yea' frank I Understand But my lee dosent have that, Its a
Cont. Type. (Bymetels Strip w/Pressure from the knob (Cam)
Very Basic. It take a emery board to fix it (file contacts a little when they get pitted. ( My Lee is purty old 1960's )
Meaders Kitchen on the Evangaline Thruway s-bound
Replaced mine for me when it died. I know it didn't cost
me anything (Friend of my Dad) But if I had to guess
Hmm. $9.00 MAX w/knob.

I is gonna start Using a Spare Crawfish burner to make me a decent size smelter. 50 # - 100 LBs. Batch..

I Just gonna think about how i want it..

Take Care FRANK,
Clad to hear the TS. DAVId Missed us..
Well One More in thgulf already...
Get Er' Done !

Chuck

Frank46
07-07-2005, 02:51 AM
Chuck, when I have to melt down a large amount of wheel weights I use a 8 quart dutch oven (cast Iron) and the afore mentioned crawfish boiler. Gets hot fast and you can melt a huge amount of wheel weights. Stand up wind or you'll never get the taste
outta your mouth. Frank

keeper89
07-07-2005, 09:55 AM
Thanks for the input, guess I'll try the old contact touchup routine and see if I can get Lyman to send me a new thermo. Sure appreciate the info, never had to tear into a melter before. My first one was a Herter's! and when it crapped out I was sol for spare parts hence the Lyman......... Anyway, thanks again, you've made me feel welcome here and I appreciate it!!

fourarmed
07-07-2005, 11:55 AM
I once decided to disassemble my Mag 20 for reasons I don't now recall. It disgorged about a bushel basket full of insulation. I managed to do whatever it was I set out to do, but I could only get about half of the insulation back into it. A word to the wise.

Pop_No_Kick
07-07-2005, 12:20 PM
Chuck, when I have to melt down a large amount of wheel weights I use a 8 quart dutch oven (cast Iron) and the afore mentioned crawfish boiler. Gets hot fast and you can melt a huge amount of wheel weights. Stand up wind or you'll never get the taste
outta your mouth. Frank
Hmmm. Upwind sounds like exp. talking.
I cleaned up aprox 200 # of that lino before i ship it out
and decided that this would kill my Lee pot. So
it time to make one, I took a ride to the salvage yards
in lafayette (on Cameron) With all that oilfield scap.
I can not make up my mind..Also i found a Oscilloscope
over there pluged it up and it worked? and that thru my whole
train of thought off and ran off on a tangent,,, hehhe
Maybe i can draw up what i'm gonna do and get the parts.

It's good to here from ya. Frank
I think huricane Cindy gonna miss us?
You never know, My Brother wants to go shrimping today.
well see.

Chuck