PDA

View Full Version : Why copper plate cast bullets????

Willyp
04-23-2012, 04:00 PM
I've seen the discussion on copper plating bullets,but why would this be done,to lead cast bullets?? I mist something somewhere!!!!

runfiverun
04-23-2012, 05:40 PM
it's for guy's that would rather clean copper from thier bbl's.
some indoor ranges won't let you shoot naked lead.

oscar669
04-23-2012, 05:48 PM
Because it can be done. I have not done this but a lot of things I do with my reloading hobby is done to see if I can accomplish it.

22lover
04-23-2012, 10:43 PM
For me, pretty much all of the above (aside from cleaning copper out of my barrel). It's fun to experiment, learn from the mistakes, and see the finished product improve. I imagine some of us in that thread are also engineers or otherwise technically-inclined and like to see our ideas and schemes come to life :) The boolits are also shiny and pretty!

Rangefinder
04-24-2012, 12:55 AM
For me it was simply a matter of "Hmmm, I wonder what it would take for me to do that???" Many of my hair-brained ideas begin from nothing more that the simple curiosity of whether or not I can do it. Occasionally, they even work--sometimes TOO good--that's usually when I get myself into trouble with the better half--because I go crazy experimenting with all the things the original idea blossoms into.

fcvan
04-24-2012, 01:15 AM
After reading about this 20+ years ago, and viewing some videos online, I'm going to give it a whirl. My main objective will be copper plating my 225415 for my .223 loads. I'm getting a checkmaker from Pat and will still run them through the sizer with lube. I will likely try some without lube just to see how that goes as well.

I have a couple molds that would look sweet if plated and would likely pass muster on those indoor ranges that require fully plated boolits. I have this one hollow point that would look sweet with copper plating and a neon lime green airsoft pellet seated in the nose. Zombies beware! Frank