PDA

View Full Version : Bore guide for .22lr

Jamesconn
04-22-2012, 11:07 PM
Well after listening to y'all I realized how crucial they are and of the 2 guns I technically own the 22 gets used the most and I want it to last my lifetime. Another member said I could make a bore guide out of a case from a 243 Winchester. I don't have any of that I don't have any rifle brass besides 30-06, but I have 30 carbine, 9mm, 40, 45, 380, 38 special. Can I make one out of any of these? For the M1 carbine or my 22?

Mooseman
04-23-2012, 12:36 AM
Buy a .22LR Boresnake....you will love it.

captaint
04-23-2012, 07:31 AM
Use plastic brushes on your rimfires. And coated cleaning rods. And be careful. And don't clean them until the accuracy goes south. My .02. enjoy Mike

firefly1957
04-23-2012, 07:56 AM
Bore guide is a tapered piece that keeps the rod out of contact with the crown of a guns barrel a 243 would be a bit large for 22. If you can find a spent 17 hmr cutting the bottom off and opening the neck enough for your rod may work.

Goatwhiskers
04-23-2012, 08:00 AM
Cheapest bore guide/muzzle protector in the world. The barrel of a ball point pen. The hole inside is tapered just like the outside. Cut back the small end till your cleaning rod just passes thru. Slide over the rod, hold against the muzzle as you clean the bore. Good for calibers up to the diameter of the pen. Mine has lasted over 40 years. Cheap is good. Goat

jcwit
04-23-2012, 08:11 AM
What model of .22 are you asking about? Can you clean it from the breech?

I'm not a fan of bore snakes, have heard stories of them getting stuck in the barrel's chamber and being a real problem, also can't see the sense of dragging a dirty snake thru the bore to clean a dirty bore, some logic missing here with idea. Remember, after the first pass thru a bore a snake is dirty for every pass after that till washed clean. Plus the dirty snake can harm the muzzle if not pulled out of the bore centered.

There's my thoughts regarding bore snakes, however I've watched a 9 time bullseye national champion use one after each relay, and I'm sure he knows what he was up to.

Personnally I use either a weed whacker line or an Otis cable on rifles which need to be cleaned from the muzzle.

Goats idea/suggestion is not a bad idea at all!

JonB_in_Glencoe
04-23-2012, 11:09 AM
I think the 243 case idea is for guiding/centering the cleaning rod from the breech end of a 22 bolt gun, with the bolt removed.

Most economical priced cleaning aluminum cleaning rods are near the size of a 22 cal. bore and I suspect that a bore guide used at the muzzle end would be very difficult.

If you have to clean from the muzzle, I suspect the above mentioned modified 17 HMR case will be your best bet.
Jon

Ickisrulz
04-23-2012, 11:25 AM
Bore Snakes can be cleaned pretty easily. I throw mine in a milk jug with a little detergent, shake it up and then rinse. They dry outside fast.

People that get Bore Snakes stuck must be using the wrong size or something. I just can't see it happening if the proper size is used.

gray wolf
04-23-2012, 11:35 AM
Use plastic brushes on your rimfires. And coated cleaning rods. And be careful. And don't clean them until the accuracy goes south. My .02. enjoy Mike

Bore Snakes can be cleaned pretty easily. I throw mine in a milk jug with a little detergent, shake it up and then rinse. They dry outside fast.

People that get Bore Snakes stuck must be using the wrong size or something. I just can't see it happening if the proper size is used.

Keep the chamber carbon free, sell the cleaning rod, clean at the loss of accuracy, shoot and enjoy, pass it on to younger family members.
Lightly oil the barrel when needed,

jcwit
04-23-2012, 12:14 PM
Another comment,

If bore snakes were so great the benchrest folks would be all over them instead of the other way around. Now I realize we're not talking about a $3,000 dollar custome rifle here but the principal is still the same and the rules regarding proper care still apply.

BTW, if you're using an aluminum rod, toss it and get a S/S rod, uncoated, and wipe the rod with every pass.

gray wolf
04-23-2012, 12:58 PM
we are also talking about a soft lead bullet, not a J word going 25 to 3300 FPS

jcwit
04-23-2012, 01:16 PM
I'm writing and commenting about Rimfire Bench Rest. Soft lead bullets, not jacketed.

My comments also hold true for the Small Bore Competitors at the National Metric Matches which I've attended the last 2 years. None of them use bore snakes and these matches are attended by shooters from all over No. America and foreign countries. Yes they shoot .22 rim fire.

Check Here

http://www.rimfireaccuracy.com/Forums/forum.php

http://benchrest.com/forumdisplay.php?3-Rimfire-Benchrest

gray wolf
04-23-2012, 02:00 PM
OK you win,
I will not get into these kinds of discussions that go no place.

Iowa Fox
04-23-2012, 07:51 PM
For my Pumps, Levers, and Semis I use weed trimmer line. For my 541T HB I use a delrin guide that slides in the action with the bolt out. For my TCs I use a ss rod with the barrel off the action using delrin quides for evrything I can get them for (centerfire).

For the weed trimmer line I use the slick green line, not the one with the rough ridges on it. The slicker the better. I cut the appropriate amount of line off the roll and look it over good. Then I take a butane tourch and slowly and gently heat one end until soft, then push it against a piece of glass and make a lump to hold a patch. Don't worry if you make several attemps to get the correct size and shape of lump for the patch and bore. After l get the bump formed I cut a point on the other end so I can spear my patches. Always pull through the bore as straight as you can to avoid rubbing the line on the edge of the muzzle. I works great. I keep the line with a supply of patches in a zipper lock sandwich bag. My 10/22 with a very tight chamber will need a dry patch pulled through every couple hundred rounds to keep runnning. I use a few drops of breakfree or ezox when needed. Bore snakes are to tight for my liking on the small rimfires.

I only use Pro Shot polished uncoated rods on everything anymore for everything that gets the rod. I use a guide for evrything I can get them for and have made a few for others. Always go slow and careful cleaning as more barrels are damaged from cleaning than shooting or neglect.

22 rimfires do not require a lot of cleaning.

jcwit
04-23-2012, 07:59 PM
Another way to get the gloob on the end of the weed whacker line I learned of just within the last month is to use an electric range and touch the line to the burner. Works pretty neat.

I totally agree with that last statement regarding cleaning. Many barrels are ruined early in life by cleaning.

blackthorn
04-24-2012, 11:24 AM
I have used weed-wacker line also but rather than fool around getting a lump on one end, I just double it over and put the patch in the folded end. Works for me.

04-24-2012, 11:39 AM
Bore guide is a tapered piece that keeps the rod out of contact with the crown of a guns barrel a 243 would be a bit large for 22. If you can find a spent 17 hmr cutting the bottom off and opening the neck enough for your rod may work.

Jamesconn, firefly's method is best I've found.
First, get a rod designed for a 20 caliber (think 204 Ruger). Then get a couple of jags that will fit it (think 17 cal or 20 cal). Then go anywhere folks shoot... public range, gravel pit, where ever and pick up some 17HMR brass. Get or make a cleaning cradle or gun vise. Remove bolt or open action if lever or semi-auto. Turn gun upside down so that muzzle is slightly below breech. Insert bore guide in muzzle. Clean from muzzle.

If you try to use regular 22 cal centerfire rods, jags or other accessories designed for regular 22 centerfire you will run a risk of ruining a 22 rf.

Pictures added showing setup using a rod for 20 cal (sold for the 204 Ruger) and the 17HMR brass with the base cut off. Slips over the rod and inserts into muzzle. I found that while 17 cal rods work for 22 rf they tend to be a little too flexible. The rods designed for 20 cal work the best.

Goatwhiskers
04-24-2012, 11:45 AM
jcwit, I trust you're not doing that on your wife's range. If so you're a lot braver than I am. Goat

jcwit
04-24-2012, 12:08 PM
Actually I do. and for just a touch to make the gloob "whatever it should be called" it doesn't even stick to the burner. Now this is the older stove with the metal elements not the glass top.

If so you're a lot braver than I am.

I might be brave, but I'm no fool. hehehehe

Best
jcwit

R.M.
04-24-2012, 12:27 PM
Way back when, I bought a so-called high-end rod that's good for 17 cal. It came with a bore guide, and works well for 22. I know I paid too much for it at the time, but I'm glad I have it.

montana_charlie
04-24-2012, 12:33 PM
The current issue cleaning kit for the M-16 rifle is a pull-through system made by Otis.
It isn't a 'snake', but it resembles the weed wacker line method.

I believe that accessories are available which would allow a single kit to clean a variety of calibers.

http://www.otisgun.com/

CM

jcwit
04-24-2012, 02:02 PM
Way back when, I bought a so-called high-end rod that's good for 17 cal. It came with a bore guide, and works well for 22. I know I paid too much for it at the time, but I'm glad I have it.

That wouldn't happen to an Ivy Rod would? If so, one of the best, if not the best.