PDA

View Full Version : Mosin Nagant Question

Skipper488
04-22-2012, 04:58 PM
I finally bought some lead balls to slug the barrels of my guns and surprise surprise the Mosins are huge. The rifling looks good and sharp they just measure .314 and .313. The question is do I get a mold made at .317 then size to .316 and .315 or do I have the mold made at .316? Also if anyone had a reccomended bullet shape and weight suitable for hunting elk with this gun I'd certainly like to here about it.

Thank you in advance.

chboats
04-22-2012, 05:16 PM
A mold that will drop .316 boolits as cast SHOULD work fine. The shape of the boolit depends on the throat and how worn it is. The nose of the boolit should be able to engage the rifling. I have a Mosin that requires a nose of .311 to even touch the rifling. If the throat is in good condition and not washed out something like 316299 may work great accuracy.

I don't hunt much so have no first hand experience with elk but from what I read a flat nose is best for stopping power. You may want to check out Accurate Molds. Tom will make you almost any thing you want as long as it has a flat nose.

Carl

Dutch4122
04-22-2012, 07:07 PM
I regards to Accurate Molds, check out Tom's design labled "31-180A." It's an odd looking sucker, but you can spec the bore riding bands to whatever your rifle needs in addition to specifying an as cast diameter. I have just begun work with this design in the Mosin and it is showing real promise. Also, the "30-190G" is available in a similar design if you want a little heavier slug or need one longer to reach the lands. Pictures of both are below.