PDA

View Full Version : The need for safty glasses

hickfu
04-22-2012, 02:45 PM
Yesterday I was smelting down the pewter into bullets to make it easier to add to my mix when I need some. I had just put in some paraffin wax and the wind shifted and I got a face full of smoke, I took off my safety glasses to clear my sight and before getting them back on i got a hot piece of pewter in the left eye. I dont know how it happened, maybe a PO'ed squirrel threw something into my pot???? Point is... I was dumb not to step away from my pot before taking off the glasses and I paid for it. No sleep last night from the pain and today my eye is swollen shut and irritated. I did get it open a little this morning and everything is blurry but it was blurry before so I am hopeful that it did not damage it in a permanent way.

Moral of the story..... wear eye protection and if you need to take them off, make sure that you have stepped away from your pot.

Doc

imashooter2
04-22-2012, 03:15 PM
Good Lord man! Drag yourself to a doctor. How many spare eyes do you have?

Jim
04-22-2012, 03:22 PM
C'mon, Doc, get to a doctor, man!

There's a chance you could loose the use of that eye if not!

HangFireW8
04-22-2012, 08:43 PM
Burns heal slowly enough to allow infections, don't rely on carterization, burns leave dead tissue that makes a good feeding ground for bacteria.

As others strongly suggest, get yourself to a doctor.

gofastman
04-22-2012, 10:20 PM
Tin is antimicrobial, and chances are the chunk is still in your eye. It will most likely not heal properly with out medical attention.
Go see a doctor.

and thank you for reminding us about the importance of PPE

HighHook
04-23-2012, 03:17 AM
I agree. go see a doctor...

just had some hot lead splash-out and ruin my first pair of expensive shooting sunglasses...

will go back to the cheepies.

LUBEDUDE
04-23-2012, 04:37 AM
Yes the eye CAN be self healing and fast healing. But dealing with something this serious, come on man, get to the Doc Stat!

Don't mess around.

Please keep us apprised.

We wish the best for ya.

hickfu
04-23-2012, 02:55 PM
day 2 and my eye sight is returning to normal, I was going to go today if it was still blurry or irritated but I woke up cleaned the crusty stuff out so I could open it and now I can see again with my reading glasses on. From now on I will wear safety glasses under a face shield for added protection, My eye sight is nothing I want to loose.

Doc

LUBEDUDE
04-23-2012, 03:47 PM
Scarey situation.

Glad you are better.

Bullet Caster
04-23-2012, 04:11 PM
Hope you are well soon. Thanks for the reminder to wear safety glasses. The last casting session I forgot the glasses. Will ensure their use from now on. BC