PDA

View Full Version : Blessings

obssd1958
04-08-2007, 09:34 AM
Not humor - just off topic, sort of...

2 1/2 weeks ago, the company that I have worked at for almost 19 years, let me go. Still not sure of their reasoning...
I had already scheduled to take my 2 grandsons (11 and 13) to a youth outdoors camp on Saturday of that week, so we went and had a great time. They got to shoot shotguns, muzzleloaders, .22s, and bows. The group that put this on also brought out speakers for mini seminars on duck hunting and calling, elk hunting and calling, goose hunting and calling, and turkey hunting and calling. When the guys who did the turkey hunting seminar were through, they invited any of the kids present - who did not have someone to take them turkey hunting - to sign up for a drawing where 2 of them would get chosen to be "guided" during the 2 day youth season here. One per day.
There must have been at least 25 kids signed up for the chance. When I saw that, I thought of all of the kids who would be disappointed when they didn't get chosen. So I approached the gentleman who was offering the "guided hunts" and volunteered to take one of the kids that he didn't choose. (Figured I would be taking my oldest grandson on the other day).
He agreed, the youngster was chosen, and he and his dad were informed of their good fortune!!
Well, I helped them with all of the preparations, and yesterday was the big day. (I insisted that dad go with, that way I could teach both, and every dad should be there when their kids reach certain milestones!)
We had one of those incredible days in the outdoors!! The weather was perfect, the turkeys were gobbling, we essentially had the area to ourselves, and both dad and son got to experience all of it together!:-D
And as a bonus, the boy got his first turkey! A thunderous gobbling Jake that put on a show and a symphony that none of us will soon forget!
[smilie=w:

Oh yeah, the title of this post was blessings...
If I had been working when we went to the youth camp, I wouldn't have volunteered because I usually work on Saturdays. I know a boy and his dad who have a new pastime that they can enjoy together, so I feel pretty blessed to have been able to help...

If I could make a living at this, I have found my calling!!!!

Don

johniv
04-08-2007, 10:11 AM
Blessings indeed sir, and thank you for helping a young shooter/hunter. You helped a young shooter/hunter AND the sport as well.
Thanks from ALL of us.
John

dragonrider
04-08-2007, 11:02 AM
Well done Don.

monadnock#5
04-08-2007, 08:37 PM
It is indeed "A Wonderful Life". No less and no more than what you make of it. Your post might have been better off in the Recipes thread, as it is one of the best recipes for "lemonade" I've seen lately.
Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, and have not Charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal. I Corinthians
Congratulations on your triumph over adversity.

Ken

RugerFan
04-08-2007, 09:17 PM
Don,
Very nice! Awesome silver lining you produced! You have done a great service.

Youth hunts are one of the best things to happen to youngsters in this country. Because of youth hunts in Texas and Georgia, I got to watch my son shoot his first deer (buck), take his first turkey (nice adult tom), and shoot his first ducks (his pic of that event is on the cover of the current Georgia hunting regs). A kind neighbor facilitated the later 2 hunts and thus greatly increased the chance of success (supplied decoys and calling expertise). Giving a helping hand to young hunter will be remembered for a lifetime.

Buckshot
04-09-2007, 02:15 AM
..............Don, doing something like that just shows what kind of man you are, especially after the blow of being laid off.

I hope your search for a new job is simple, quick, and stress free, and that it turns out to be a better deal then what you left.

................Buckshot

Four Fingers of Death
04-09-2007, 06:01 AM
Keep your chin up mate, I know you will. You showed a lot of class getting on with it and contributing and not just mooning about. Mick.

Bigjohn
04-09-2007, 08:01 PM
Life often moves in mysterious ways. Enjoy the time you have and the experiences you get they may help you in the future.

Hopefully, you will not be without a job for too long.

John.

Gun Junkie
04-14-2007, 01:01 PM
OBSSD1958,

I've been laid off three times in my journey through life, so I ''feel your pain".

The last time I got the explaination that ''You don't fit into our new matrix''. I saw the Matrix....didn't know I was in it.

Glad you are making the best of the time you've got. I wish you the best.

Besides now you can make use of all that lead, powder and primers that I'm sure you've been hoarding. And you can say I shoot cast boolits to save money!!!!

Finding a job is a job....it just doesn't pay well...until you change to the new job.

Usually when I find another job I celebrate with a big day at the range shooting everything I can stuff into the truck!

The last time it happened I was able to find work in my field before my layoff date....and a few weeks ago I found out the rest of my group is getting axed too.
Maybe we really are in the ''Matrix''.

Keep on Keeping on.