PDA

View Full Version : Good lead source in CA?

Lead Express
04-20-2012, 05:44 PM
Hey folks! This is my first post here on this forum, and I'm glad I'm here. So much information is available here, and I'm looking into casting my own boolits.

Lead, however, is now a hazardous material in CA. No auto shops can release lead to the public, and they get picked up for recycling. Is there any other source of cheap (and possibly free:-D) lead that you Californians use?

Any information is greatly appreciated, as always.

e15cap
04-20-2012, 06:26 PM
I have roofing lead for $1.50lb in San Diego. Roger

fredj338
04-20-2012, 06:26 PM
Yeah, one of many of our rights that get trampled in Kommifornia. Range lead is alwaysx going to be available at some ranges. I shoot at a private club, outdoors, mining the berm can return 50# of useable alloy in 15-20m. It's frowned upon by the club officilas, but retuirn the berm to look like it did before, no one really cares. Other sources, old plumbing & roofing lead, dental lead foils, stain glass window shops, radiator repair places (solder). There are guys on the forum that sell ww ingots, not a bad deal if you can get it delivered for $1/#. Beats having to drive around @ $5/gal gas prices begging for it.

LUBEDUDE
04-20-2012, 06:27 PM
Hate to say it, but if things are tightening up in your neck of the woods I think your locals are going to play it close to the vest.

Good Luck

Lead Express
04-20-2012, 07:03 PM
fredj338, in your opinion, what would be a good price per pound of lead ingots?

badbob454
04-20-2012, 11:45 PM
i buy lead from my recycler for 1.00 per lb i also get swiping solder for the same price if its illegal these guys wouldnt sell to me , in california , i had a recycling card printed up for recycling ammo powder lead brass tin zinc etc .. and flash this card if they only sell to recyclers works great , check roofers ac guys, radiator shops dentists that do x rays ,tire shops and auto shops roofing lead and plumbers also sometimes use lead , get the word out and they come to you ...

SlowSmokeN
04-21-2012, 12:03 AM
You can buy it here on the forum from jim for $65 for 60#'s or something real close to that. A buck a pound delivered is not bad.

I would hit up your local scrapyards and see what you can turn up.

Lead Express
04-21-2012, 12:14 AM
Jim? Does he have a user name?

SlowSmokeN
04-22-2012, 12:25 AM
He is in the swappin and sellin section.

leadbutt
04-22-2012, 11:29 AM
Jim is taking some time off atm. Just look in the swapping and selling section. Youll find something there. If you really get desparate there is always ebay.

L. Bottoms

41 mag fan
04-22-2012, 04:46 PM
Jim? Does he have a user name?

Jim, try that

fredj338
04-22-2012, 08:02 PM
fredj338, in your opinion, what would be a good price per pound of lead ingots?

Yeah, $1/# is a fair price. COnsider what it cost is gas & propane & waste even if you can find ww for sale, $1/# is a good deal IMO. I still have quite a bit, started hoarding ww before the ban, I still berm mine & ask whenever I am in a tire shop. I can get 50# of metal out of my shooting berm in 20min, not a bad return for my time, I am at the range anyway, why not. My dentist uses dig xray but I asked anyway, he came up w/ 30# of lead foil he wanted to get rid of, so always ask at any shop that handles lead. You might just get lucky.

Jamesconn
04-26-2012, 08:05 PM
I'd say best bet in California is berm mining read up many threads on this forum about it. I never get WW so it's my only source and I've only been once.

bdutro
04-26-2012, 11:35 PM
If you're near the coast, I hear old sailboat keels are lead. I've been close to splitting one with another big-bore shooter but the logistics are harder with one big piece.

Longwood
04-26-2012, 11:47 PM
I am so glad some people can't find lead in California.
All the more for me.
The tire dealers I go to are glad to give me their "Toxic waste".
I sometimes pay the recycler the 40 or 50 cent they ask. I get a lot of tin there so at 40 cents for tin, I can't complain yet

fredj338
04-27-2012, 12:56 AM
I am so glad some people can't find lead in California.
All the more for me.
The tire dealers I go to are glad to give me their "Toxic waste".
I sometimes pay the recycler the 40 or 50 cent they ask. I get a lot of tin there so at 40 cents for tin, I can't complain yet

Easier in rural areas & small towns where you are known. Around the urban areas, every tire guy thinks you are from the EPA. When I have service or buy tires, I ask, sometimes i get some, but it's pretty much dried up w/ two year ban on lead ww. Another year or two & all the old tires will have been replaced. Yes kommifornia sucks & always will.:target_smiley:

rintinglen
04-28-2012, 04:18 AM
Sail boat keels are often lead, but they start at about 90 pounds and go up. I was once offered a 700 pounder, but could not remove it, so it went for scrap. I did get one that was about 120 pounds from a smaller boat.

koehn,jim
04-28-2012, 10:04 AM
The captain sells lead in the vendor section. Its good clean ignots of smelted ww at about a dollar a pound . I buy that and dont bother with trying to smelt it myself. Many sailboat have lead shot in them and not solid one piece. There are many ship breakers in the port areas that you can check. Do not forget to check older plumbers some still have lead for sealing cast iron pipe joints.

hickfu
04-28-2012, 11:05 AM
every place I go to say either the EPA wont let them sell the lead or they are already giving it to a guy that makes sinkers out of them. I really hate living in Calif near the ocean!

Doc

AndyC
04-28-2012, 01:30 PM
Some of the guys on the board have suggested having business cards printed up saying "Recycler" - worth a try, perhaps?