PDA

View Full Version : Cast my first boolits last night

Ultravox
04-20-2012, 11:13 AM
I'm sort of a new member in that I've been lurking for a while (about a year) and have not really made any posts.

But that changes today. I've been shooting and reloading for about a year and just last night I added casting to that list.

I bought a Lee Pro 4 melter and a couple of Lee molds and last night was the first chance I had to fire it up and cast.

I bought 50 lbs of smelted WW from ebay and used that as delivered. I don't really know how hard the boolits are, but I can mark them with my fingernail. I'll compare them to some commercial 12bhn boolits tonight.

It took me a while to get into the rythmn of it, but I finally ended up with 69 usable 200gn .45 SWC and 23 usable 255gn .45 SWC boolits before the on-call phone rang and I had to stop. It was 9:00 pm anyway.

I'll be firing up the pot again tonight and casting some more. Then pan lubing and sizing them.

Here is the finished product.

http://i.imgur.com/tsKQWl.jpg

Now I can say :castmine:

Ultravox
04-20-2012, 11:15 AM
A little more information:

The 200 grain SWC boolits are for my RIA 1911 Tactical and the 255 grain SWC boolits are for my Uberti Hombre in .45 Colt.

Westwindmike
04-20-2012, 12:21 PM
Good job! Keep it up.

Lead Fred
04-20-2012, 12:34 PM
You have taken the first step into a larger world, Young luke.
The press force will be with you

Stick_man
04-20-2012, 02:04 PM
Ultra good job. :) Welcome to the forum and welcome to the addiction. Feel free to ask any questions you may have. Lots of great information available here and most members are more than willing to share the information.

AndyC
04-20-2012, 02:41 PM
Nice and clean and shiny boolits - good job :)

Ultravox
04-20-2012, 03:52 PM
I'm in trouble now. A friend that lives about 210 miles away and works for a hospital (and casts for his muzzleloaders) just offered me free lead.

Whoo-boy. :D

45-70 Chevroner
04-20-2012, 04:25 PM
Sounds like you are on the road to an unbelievable addiction. You did a lot better than I did on my first try. You'll probably get it wrong sometimes, but I'll guarentee you, you will keep comming back. After you think you have it right, look out! things will happen and you'll think what did I do wrong this time, but you will still keep comming back to get it right. Enjoy and don't get frustrated.

JonB_in_Glencoe
04-20-2012, 04:39 PM
Great looking boolits !
welcome fellow Minnesotan.

It took me about 6 months to cast my first boolits,
from the time I made the decision that I wanted to cast my own.
I was reading here everyday for that 6 months.
Jon

gray wolf
04-20-2012, 09:04 PM
nice job, nice to have you.
OH ! and you do know your doomed now,
It's addicting and the friends you will make here are great folks

Cherokee
04-20-2012, 09:10 PM
Welcome to the world of casting. Good start, now you have to get out and shoot them.

randyrat
04-20-2012, 11:35 PM
Welcome to the affected/sickness......

I'm about 2 hours NE of you. I get to the Twin Cities once in a while, only when i am forced to pick someone up at the air port or drop someone off.
I don't mind it at all about 4 AM, but 5-6AM the traffic starts to speed up and it gets crowded. It's lots of fun when there is a snow storm.

People there are so nice to you face to face, but if they are in their car, the death games begin.

Jailer
04-20-2012, 11:48 PM
Were those WW you bought from ebay smelted from stick ons? Your boolits look a lot like pure lead.

Beagler
04-21-2012, 12:08 AM
Thats what I was thinkin to there nice and shiny like when I cast for BP rounds
Were those WW you bought from ebay smelted from stick ons? Your boolits look a lot like pure lead.

monge
04-21-2012, 05:13 PM
Welcome great first cast Im new to casting too. this is a great site with a wealth of good info ! :Fire:

Hang Fire
04-21-2012, 05:48 PM
I'm sort of a new member in that I've been lurking for a while (about a year) and have not really made any posts.

But that changes today. I've been shooting and reloading for about a year and just last night I added casting to that list. Now I can say :castmine:

Congratulations, making your own is a good feeling. I can still recall from over 50 years back when I cast my first ones, was fascinating to see those ugly grey WW turned into shiny boolits.

sharps50
04-22-2012, 04:27 PM
Doctors, lawyers,craftsmen,professionals, workers blue collar and white they are all drawn to the Silver Stream. Thank God they are all willing to share their knowledge.