PDA

View Full Version : Got a problem with a Rem ADL in 204.

twoworms
04-07-2007, 01:59 PM
I have a Rem 700 ADL the black stocked model with a lightish barrel. The problem is it shoots very low at 50 yards. I have two scopes, mounts and bases both of them will not leave me room in the scope to crank the POI to dead on at even 50 yards. Last time out with a Nikon 6.5x20 scope ran out of adjustment and was still 3" low at 50 yards. I wish I had a wood or glass beded Rem stock to put the action in and test fire one more time.

Whats up guy? Any help on this?

Tim

P.S. If I can't get this worked out, the rifle is going away real fast.

waksupi
04-07-2007, 02:47 PM
Try a shim under the scope, in the forward ring. A couple layers of beer can should do the trick.

dk17hmr
04-07-2007, 02:57 PM
What mounts are the rings set in?

I dont know if this will help you but, I have an EWG 25MOA bridge mount on my 700, was hitting super low when I was using Leupold dovetail style rings, then I mounted this on it and now I am almost bottomed out with the scope zeroed at 100 yards with about all the up adjustment to go.

http://egw-guns.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=39&products_id=180

Junior1942
04-07-2007, 02:57 PM
Rearward ring.

buster
04-07-2007, 03:28 PM
Yep. rearward ring

Scrounger
04-07-2007, 04:05 PM
What kind of scope base? In Weaver bases, the short action Remington which you have, uses different base numbers than the long action. If it's not a scope base or ring problem, it is likely too much forend pressure on the barrel causing it to bend up and eating up all the down scope adjustment. Try loosening the front guard screw a half turn. That won't do much for your group but if the group places lower, that shows you where the problem is. Remington and most stock makers leave a built up pad just back of the forend tip to put up pressure on the barrel. For best grouping and to keep the impact point from 'walking' when the barrel got hot, I always sanded the barrel channel down so it does not touch the barrel anywhere. That and adjusting the trigger was SOP with a new gun.

monadnock#5
04-07-2007, 05:02 PM
If you need shim stock, and you have a hobby shop nearby...Go to the area where they sell model railroad supplies and buy some sheet styrene. It starts at .005 thickness, and increases in .005 increments. Fantastic stuff, and I recommend it highly.
If you're base is a one oiece design, you could try shimming the base rather than the ring.

Ken

twoworms
04-07-2007, 06:38 PM
Scrounger,

You may be onto something with the base thing. I took the base off a long action Rem 700 and didn't think there was any problem.

dk17hmr

The rings I use with base are the Burris Signature Zee Weaver-Style, so at least I didn't have my scope in a pinch.

I didn't post the first time, but the rifle will not group much better than 2" at 100 yards. Thats with about 3 factory loads plus two of my had loads.

Tim

grumpy one
04-07-2007, 06:56 PM
You might try switching the front and rear rings; if it makes a big difference they aren't very good rings, which would be your problem. That isn't all bad if you can end up with extra upward scope adjustment range because of it. Provided it will go low enough, extra upward adjustment is useful for cast bullets.

If the ring-swap doesn't make any difference, it seems like you either have a poorly-fitted stock or unsuitable mounts, as other people have said.

Scrounger
04-07-2007, 07:01 PM
Guaranteed. I wouldn't think a one piece base for the long action would match screw holes on the short action but I guarantee there is a height difference in the base as compared to the short action. Go to Midway or somewhere and look up the bases for Remingtons; the short bases and long bases have different part numbers.

Dale53
04-07-2007, 09:14 PM
Shimming scope rings is a bad idea (however, you CAN shim a one piece base). Shimming rings, which I have seen many times, puts your scope tube in a bind and can actually shorten the scope's life. Same thing with two piece bases. However, the real answer is to use the Burris Signature rings with the offset inserts. You can get inserts in .005", .010", .015", and .020" that should take care of any misalignment. I have used these many times to solve problems like described here. The inserts work inside the scope rings like a "Gimbel" and are self aligning with NO stress on the scope.

You can roughly figure that for each .001" of an inch is worth an inch of impact at 100 yards. In other words, if you offset by a .005" ring it will move the impact 5" at 100 yards.

Good luck,
Dale53