PDA

View Full Version : Which levergun for me?

wallenba
04-18-2012, 09:46 PM
I've had my M77 Ruger Target rifle on consignment for several months now at my local dealer. It gets handled alot, not any real interest in it though. So, I may ask about trading on a levergun. I have an old Savage 99, but other than that, I've never even fired a Marlin or a Winchester.
I plan to shoot cast in it, and I have plenty of 30 cal molds.
Lyman Silhouettes,
160 GC #311672
190 GC #311644
200 GC #311299
and some Lee 1r's in the same ranges. So a 30-30 is a high candidate. I will not be using it for CAS.
Rossi?
Marlin?
Winchester? ($ is a concern)
Uberti?
others?
:?:

winchester85
04-18-2012, 10:11 PM
winchester for me.

runfiverun
04-18-2012, 11:29 PM
used winchester that isn't a rebounding hammer or cross bolt safety.
a used shooter that has blueing missing from being carried is usually a good bet if the action feels right.
a new rossi might be the ticket too.

TXGunNut
04-18-2012, 11:33 PM
What do you plan on doing with your new levergun? Gotta warn you, they're habit-forming. Darned things keep following me home.

wv109323
04-18-2012, 11:41 PM
The Marlin holds the advantage of mounting a scope ( if you have old eyes) but the Micro-groove barrel concerns some people with cast boolits. ( I am not convinced that the MG barrel is an issue after bullet is fit to bore diameter). The Marlin just fits me better than the Winchester 94.
I don't think the late model Winchester 94 will ever get to $$$ of the earlier models.
A trade will probably come down to what the dealer has and wants to get rid of.
You could consider the Savage 99 in 30-30 and the Browning BLR in .308 Winchester.
The Rossi ( in my opinion) is a step down from the quality of a Marlin or Winchester. The Rossi would not be available in 30-30 but you may find an interesting caliber. If you get away from the .30 caliber there goes your mold collection.

quilbilly
04-18-2012, 11:51 PM
I have thoroughly enjoyed my Mossberg 464 (not that tactical monstrosity). The price was right and after buying it for a cheap truck rifle, I found that I had an outstanding shooter that has loved all the different cast boolits I have put through it.

hightime
04-19-2012, 03:48 PM
Any of those will be a let down from a Savage 99.

That said go ahead and get any one of them. Then as time goes by get all the rest.

I like my Marlin 1895 , 45-70 for hunting. I want to use my 1873 Uberti , 45 Colt, if I can get it to hit something. Any 30-30 is good. I like my Winchester Legacy '94 to shoot dear with. My Dad's ( now Mine ) 300 Sav. Model 99 has shot the most deer. I'm getting used to the look.
Do you need a scope? That will limit the choices.

Owen

Freischütz
04-19-2012, 04:20 PM
Sounds like a Win M95 in 30/06 or 30/40 would be a good choice. Box magazine will handle any bullet shape.

shdwlkr
04-19-2012, 05:05 PM
As has been said lever actions if you find one that works for you is going to force you to just buy more. I happen to like winchesters as it was the first one I bought in lever action over almost 50 years ago so the die was cast. But I do have a rare marlin now in my collection as it kind of showed up one day in an odd caliber and I just wanted it.
If you want a scope marlins are easier to do this until the AE model winchesters and don't get that stupid cross bolt safety just plain stupid idea. The rebounding hammer thing I can live with but that cross-bolt never. Now how many do I have I think it is 7 or 8 or is it 9 now they are just so habit forming and I think sometimes they do procreate on me as I find one I am not sure where it came from and then it is gone and there is another in its place dang things.
I have a friend that gets mine when I am done unless the kids want one each of what dad had then the friend gets the rest. Can't see them not being used

LUCKYDAWG13
04-19-2012, 07:29 PM
in 30/30 i like Winchester in 44mag 1894 marlin all the way if
you do get a marlin get one with the ~JM~ stamp on the left side of the barrel

wallenba
04-19-2012, 07:46 PM
What do you plan on doing with your new levergun? Gotta warn you, they're habit-forming. Darned things keep following me home.

Age and spinal stenosis has relegated most of my centerfire shooting to paper punching. I just have this unquenchable desire for gun variety. I can't walk the long distances to set up 200-300 yard targets anymore, so I'm liking 50 yard iron sight shooting the best these days.
Another plus for a 30-30, is that I can use the old brass for forming my 30 Herrett's.
Thanks for the cross bolt safety and rebounding hammer tips. I had no knowledge of that.
How do I know if it has a rebounding hammer?

Lead Fred
04-19-2012, 09:07 PM
I owned both a Winnie 94, and a Marlin 336 both in 30 WCF.

The Marlin wins hands down for cleaning, and lack of moving parts.

It takes a half hour to assemble a 1894 winne, 3 minutes for A Marlin.

With Winchesters, you have to make sure you get one older than 1980, and the prices skyrocket for the pre 1964 ones.

Any of the Marlins will do, the cross bolt safety isnt an issue, because you can remove it.

TXGunNut
04-19-2012, 11:01 PM
Age and spinal stenosis has relegated most of my centerfire shooting to paper punching. I just have this unquenchable desire for gun variety. I can't walk the long distances to set up 200-300 yard targets anymore, so I'm liking 50 yard iron sight shooting the best these days.
Another plus for a 30-30, is that I can use the old brass for forming my 30 Herrett's.
Thanks for the cross bolt safety and rebounding hammer tips. I had no knowledge of that.
How do I know if it has a rebounding hammer?

If your eyes still do OK w/ buckhorn or peeps I'd go with the 94 in 30-30. Still some shooters out there for a reasonable price if you're patient. I don't care for the tang safety or the rebounding hammer of the latest rifles but I can live with the crossbolt safety of the previous generations. I prefer the old top-eject and there are plenty of those out there still. I buy all I can but that still leaves plenty for other folks. :mrgreen:

wallenba
04-19-2012, 11:11 PM
If your eyes still do OK w/ buckhorn or peeps I'd go with the 94 in 30-30. Still some shooters out there for a reasonable price if you're patient. I don't care for the tang safety or the rebounding hammer of the latest rifles but I can live with the crossbolt safety of the previous generations. I prefer the old top-eject and there are plenty of those out there still. I buy all I can but that still leaves plenty for other folks. :mrgreen:

My eyes are much better since my cataract surguries, but I do have floaters and an astigmatism. The astigmatism is in my left eye and I'm right handed, so I'm OK, since I'm also far sighted. Fifty yards is just right for my eyes without scoping. I've tried, and like, the little red dot scopes too. I have a couple of Millet 1" tube types. They hold zero, and cost less that $60.

TXGunNut
04-20-2012, 12:54 AM
In your shoes the 94 would be my choice. I love my 94's but I may be done shooting them as I won't scope them and not having much luck w/ peeps past 50 yds. Red dots and compact scopes may be more @ home on a Marlin. Marlins seem more accurate to me but @ 50 yds the difference is academic if noticeable. If you like a pistol grip the 336 would get the nod, some 94's have that feature but I don't see many. Take your time, you'll find one you can't put down.....and then another, and another...but don't sell that 99!

gnoahhh
04-20-2012, 10:36 AM
Savage 1899 or 99, hands down. I have yet to meet a Savage that didn't out perform a Winchester or Marlin, plus it will handle spitzer bullets if you so choose not to mention its point of balance won't shift as you empty its magazine. Get a Savage and don't look back!

I have often said that the real reason we have a love affair with tube magazine leverguns is due in large part to the western movies and TV shows we grew up watching. Perhaps it's a subliminal message imprinted on our collective subconscious that doesn't allow us to think outside of that box? Had the Duke, Jimmy Stewart, Roy Rogers, Chuck Connors, et al, packed Savages they would be the 'norm' and not Winchesters- historical accuracy notwithstanding. (Not that very many movies/TV shows gave more than a passing nod toward historical accuracy anyway. Note all of those old westerns set during or right after the Civil War in which they were armed with '92 and '94 Winchesters and Colt SA Army's.)

shdwlkr
04-20-2012, 12:01 PM
In the part of the country I grew up in we didn't see many marlins or savages for that matter until long after I had been bitten by the winchester bug. Now days I would pick up any lever action that talked to me, don't care who made it and yes I like the older ones because they just feel better to me and yes I have some of miroku winchesters and they are fine for what they are.

As to which is better don't really think that is the way to look at them more of which one feels better in your hands. I have one marlin so far and it just fits me nicely and is in an obsolete caliber that I like. I also like longer barrels too, have some with 24 and 26 inch barrels and they are very nice. Yes they are a little heavier than the 20 inch ones but that just helps the muscles to stay strong.

gwpercle
04-20-2012, 01:08 PM
I notice that not one person has reccomended the new Mossburg Tactical Lever Gun..... so I guess I too will refrain .
My likes are model 94 Winchester, with reciever peep sight. can shoot it almost as well as a scoped rifle but much handier. Mine is 1970 vintage, it's the only one I have ever owned so I don't know how the newer ones are.
30-30 cal. works for me . If I had more money I would like to try a model 92 in one of the pistol calibers.
A friend of mine has a Marlin in 41 mag. that I thought was really neat and wouldn't mine having one like it.
The only thing I don't like about the Marlin 336 is the clunky look . They need to trim off some excess metal and wood and get it sleeker looking for my taste, but thats me..........gary

rollmyown
04-21-2012, 09:47 AM
Buy the calibre you want nor need.
Buy old / used, but pre loved, because the realy don't make 'em like they used to.
Buy the brand that floats you boat.

Larry Gibson
04-21-2012, 11:20 AM
My eyes are much better since my cataract surguries, but I do have floaters and an astigmatism. The astigmatism is in my left eye and I'm right handed, so I'm OK, since I'm also far sighted. Fifty yards is just right for my eyes without scoping. I've tried, and like, the little red dot scopes too. I have a couple of Millet 1" tube types. They hold zero, and cost less that $60.

I also suggest the M94 Winchester (New Haven made) as they have 12" twists with standard rifling which are more cast bullet friendly. Not any real need to disassemble the M94 for normal cleaning so that's a non issue. I'd bet 90+% of them have never been disassembled since they left the factory.

I also recommend a longer 24 - 26" barreled one (M54, M64 and some others including the M94AEs) because at our age the longer barrels get the front sight farther away so we can see it. I've shot lot's of M94s over the years and they all shot well. Like any rifle sometimes they need tweeking but the know how is out there and it's not hard to do. I've still got my M94 carbine I got for my 14th BD and have a M94AE Black Shadow that is as easlily scope mounted as a Marlin. With it's 24" barrel I can still use a Lyman receiver sight so that's how I've got it set up now. With LeveRevolution powder and 150 - 160 gr J bullets it is a 300 yard deer rifle. With my 311041HPs over LeveRevolution powder it is a 250 yard deer rifle. That fits about 100% of any potential deer, pig or varmint shooting I'd do with iron sights anymore.

Larry Gibson

Canuck Bob
04-21-2012, 12:00 PM
I realize you have many 30 cal molds already. However if a new caliber isn't too much of a burden you might consider the 32 Special, basic twin to the 30-30 with a 321 bullet. They come with a 1-16 twist which is very cast friendly.

I own both Winchesters and Marlins. If you were looking into a scoped hunting gun I would give the Marlins an edge. Otherwise the differences to consider are;
Winchester, straight stock usually, Marlin, pistol grip
Marlin fits larger
Winchester top eject, Marlin side eject
Marlin, easy breech clean, Winchester muzzle clean

The Browning BLR is a fine gun but maybe more gun than you need for your described shooting. It is a box mag with a rotating bolt lock-up suited to rimless loads like the 308 and 30-06.

crabo
04-21-2012, 02:59 PM
Age and spinal stenosis has relegated most of my centerfire shooting to paper punching. I just have this unquenchable desire for gun variety. I can't walk the long distances to set up 200-300 yard targets anymore, so

I think a 357 would be the perfect plinking gun for you. Any way to put some steel swinging targets out a 2-300 yards. Shooting steel is instant gratification.

wallenba
04-23-2012, 01:05 AM
I think a 357 would be the perfect plinking gun for you. Any way to put some steel swinging targets out a 2-300 yards. Shooting steel is instant gratification.

I am considering this too. Lots of 357 brass around, moulds too.