PDA

View Full Version : OH NO sumthin floating in the pool my 1st

randyrat
04-07-2007, 07:52 AM
It looked like a turd floating in the pool... Zink WW... I was smelting a bucket of truck tire WWs and was ready to skim all the clips looked burnt and were ready to be skimed off and shazzamm there it was a Zink turd.. No markings of any kind and it wasen't rivited that i could tell. Now i feel better, i'm more confident that i can catch these before i ruin a pot O lead. So far 1 zink turd to 15 buckets of WWs.

hunter64
04-07-2007, 10:17 AM
When I do my WW's, I sort into three buckets. WW's that I know for sure are WW, then stick on WW's and then a third bucket for questionable ones that look like zinc or metal. I know it is slower than just dumping everything into the pot but I have a small pot that holds 20lbs of lead and I usually fill it 1/2 full of WW's when I first start and add handfuls at a time after they have been separated. I used to just throw everything in the pot but this last time I decided to separate to keep the stick-on's separate and I was amazed at how many there were. Out of 6 buckets full of WW's I got 35 lbs. of stick-on's and about 35 zinc WW's. When I get to the questionable bucket I leave 1/4 full of WW's and slowly add handfuls at a time to the known good lead and see if any float and scoop them off if they do. I keep the temperature of the pot to 650 Deg. F and the good ones melt instantly and the bad ones float. I got the buckets from a tire shop in a trendy area of town where lots of Beamers and foreign cars in general would get tires. In Europe they have outlawed Lead WW's so most foreign cars have zinc or metal for WW's.

LIMPINGJ
04-07-2007, 11:05 PM
Found four when I sorted through one bucket this afternoon.