PDA

View Full Version : Rapid fire ruining barrels?

nelsonted1
04-06-2007, 08:56 PM
I've been using an 03A3 and am Israeli Mauser in a steel plate match twice a year for several years. I've been using 860 and three grains of 3031 as a booster with jacketed bullets. This spring's match I'll finally come around to using cast bullets with the same 860/3031. I've stuck with 860 for it's wonderful accuracy and lower recoil.

THe problem is shooting 28 rounds in two to three minutes. Will the heat, the barrels really blaze, damage the barrels? How fast will they shoot out? Got any ideas? I've figured the winnings from the matches have paid for replacing the barrels over and over (I've placed in the winning many times) but I can't help thinking about ruining the rifles.

Ted

Bass Ackward
04-06-2007, 09:13 PM
Your over all barrel wear as far as the rifling is going to go down, but based upon my experience, your throat wear will increase unless it is already extended out.

Make darn sure you have a lube quality to handle the heat. Just test the way you will shoot in competition and solve any problems that crop up during testing.

felix
04-06-2007, 10:03 PM
Ted, the wearing of barrels during a match (for real) should be of no concern. Compared to travel expenses (over a year) to and from matches will overshadow any known gun expense you can think of, including throwing the thing in the trash after getting a new gun for the following year. That is why I gave up the BR circuit many moons ago. I just wasn't good enough to warrant the out of pocket green stuff. In other words, no payoff emotionally and physically. Maybe good enough for intellectual and spiritual reasons over a 4 year period. In summary, BA is correct in his reply. In your situation, winning and all, why even let it enter your mind. ... felix

1Shirt
04-09-2007, 11:26 AM
Yep, what Felix said!
1Shirt!:coffee: