PDA

View Full Version : First session with m39.

Finn45
07-02-2005, 07:24 PM
Alright, today I was finally able to spent some time at the range with my m39. Marlin was there as well, but my PB experiments didn't show too much hope; maybe I'm wanting too much or something. I assembled some loads with 311466 and HBC using N120 and N133. Loads were 1,3 and 1,6 grams of both; 20 and 24.7 grains. Almost everything here was new to me; m39's first session; RCBS dies, first loads with them; open sights which I haven't been shooting since veeery long time. I went to the 50 meter range because there were some dudes sighting in their 22lr in 100 meter range. I set up my bench as rear of the cover as possible resulting 53 meters, 58 yards. Lyman printed the best groups; first five shots after five foulers went 23,8 millimeters/0.937". That was 1,3grams N120 producing 1563fps. After more shooting and also leading I cleaned the bore and after two foulers five Lymans went 20,8 millimeters/0.819"; 1,3 grams/20 grains N133 going only 1361fps. HBC didn't shoot too bad, but for some reason it tend to lead the barrel and best groups were only 1.26" and up. Here's some pics; first one is 0.819" 5 shots group with Lyman; second shows assembled loads, third shows my two pets. I thank this CB-group and few individuals especially to give me enough prove that old m39 is worth shooting! This is the type of rifle my grand father was carrying and shooting during winter war and continuation war. I sincerely have to admit that it is extremely fun to shoot, almost like my 1895 and that is quite much said from me. Pics:

http://pyssymiehet.com/shooting/Lym20_8.jpg

http://pyssymiehet.com/shooting/loads53r.jpg

http://pyssymiehet.com/gunstuff/m39_1895.jpg

Pop_No_Kick
07-02-2005, 07:36 PM
[QUOTE=Finn45]Alright, today I was finally able to spent some time at the range with my m39. Marlin was there as well, but my PB experiments didn't show too much hope; maybe I'm wanting too much or something. I assembled some loads with 311466 and HBC using N120 and N133. Loads were 1,3 and 1,6 grams of both; 20 and 24.7 grains. Almost everything here was new to me; m39's first session; RCBS dies, first loads with them; open sights which I haven't been shooting since veeery long time. I went to the 50 meter range because there were some dudes sighting in their 22lr in 100 meter range. I set up my bench as rear of the cover as possible resulting 53 meters, 58 yards. Lyman printed the best groups; first five shots after five foulers went 23,8 millimeters/0.937". That was 1,3grams N120 producing 1563fps. After more shooting and also leading I cleaned the bore and after two foulers five Lymans went 20,8 millimeters/0.819"; 1,3 grams/20 grains N133 going only 1361fps. HBC didn't shoot too bad, but for some reason it tend to lead the barrel and best groups were only 1.26" and up. Here's some pics; first one is 0.819" 5 shots group with Lyman; second shows assembled loads, third shows my two pets. I thank this CB-group and few individuals especially to give me enough prove that old m39 is worth shooting! This is the type of rifle my grand father was carrying and shooting during winter war and continuation war. I sincerely have to admit that it is extremely fun to shoot, almost like my 1895 and that is quite much said from me. Pics:

QUOTE]
Nice Pets...
Thanx's
Chuck

4060MAY
07-02-2005, 09:25 PM
Finn, nice 39, be something if you could find the one your Grandfather carried.
I had the same experience with the HBC, fast or slow hard or soft, it leaded.
Is your barrel stamped for the heavy bullet? My model 28 has a Tikka barrel with some throat, 314299 sized to .311 works well, in my M/N 91/30 314299 sized .314, just barely touching the gas check with Lee Liquid, shoots well at 200yds.

Chuck

Finn45
07-05-2005, 03:05 AM
Hi, Grandfather's original is probably overhauled and sold to US many years ago, hehe. Not too bad, these might have better financial value here, but I'm sure that utility value is way better in US. If You know what I mean, I'm not English professor :-). 314299 sure have lot of mention; well, that's good ;-). I just made request for this Darryll's scout mount, will see if they reply and furthermore ship their goods to here. Shame on them if they don't :-). I just need a mount and scope that I can put on to do some long distance shooting and take it off after. I don't want to modify this rifle. I'm not aware of any stampings for different bullets. Afaik M39 is designed one and only one bullet in mind; Lapua D166, 200 grain FMJBT with rebated boat tail. Old bullet and rarely available, but it has correct diameter and crimp groove position for M39. All traditional military match shooters are hunting madly after these bullets. Modern version of it is Lapua D46, but it's standard .30cal. Straight from the memory m39 and others (except m28/30) has 9½" twist, so that's about okay for heavy bullets as well. M28/30 was with 10" twist iirc. Sometimes idrc, but I think those were that way.

jethrow strait
07-09-2005, 11:24 PM
Good to get your perspective!

I have had only four brief experiences with Finland, and they all have been good. Of course, two of them have been in the form of a M39 and just recently a M28-30. The first has a Sako gearwheel stamped stock that looks like it was run over by a tank(perhaps your grandfather's) and the second looks like-new, a fine re-arsenal job except for a cheap stock staining job. The M39 with Darryl Scope Mount certainly would meet the 1.3" at 100 meters Army acceptance standard. I've just begun shooting the M28-30 with issue sights, but I suspect it is even more accurate.

The third experience, but first in time, was a Finnish roomate at university in the 1960's. He was a great guy, but a real dreamer---and English major, who wanted to be a poet of all things. Always was cursing the school system in Finland which forced him to take several years of Swedish before he could even study English. His name was Laplainen(sp?). Anyhow he was suddenly yanked from this Arizona university by his draft board in Finland. Said he would probably spend a year sitting in a hut on the Russian border. I was impressed, although sorry for my roomate. You have to remember that this was the early part of the Vietnam war, when many young Americans could and did avoid military service just by attending university. At least in that small way, I thought your country better than my own.

The fourth and last experience with Finland was just a few months ago, when one of my relatives, who is always traveling to various parts of the world, sent me a tin of moose meat from Finland! And, it was very good for canned meat---just meat and juice, no crappy French sauce!

So Finn45, regards to you and your homeland----------jethrow