PDA

View Full Version : hard cast rb in a sabot?

troy_mclure
04-17-2012, 06:48 PM
an older non net savvy buddy of mine has very bad shoulders and cannot handle much recoil at all.

he has a knight american .50 with a limbsaver recoil pad installed that he uses for hunting and target shooting.

he has found that a .454 lrb in a .45/.50 sabot over 65gr pyrodex rs provides great accuracy for minimum recoil.

he is planning on using this load for deer.

what would be better a soft lead ball, or a hard cast water dropped alloy?

10 ga
04-17-2012, 09:53 PM
I wouldn't water drop if you're gonna use a sabot. Not necessary. Just go straight COWW if you want but for my sabot shooting I use 49-49-2%. That is COWW-soft Pb-tin, this mix is commonly called 1-1+2%. Gives a very good performing bullet mix for sabot or RB ML hunting boolits. The RB is .45 cal to start so a long wound channel is desireable. My daughter, at 10-12 yrs old, originally shot a .50 with patched RB and 65 gr of F Swiss and she was under 100# then. Very light recoil even with the 180 gr .50 RB. and plenty for deer out to as far as you can hit them in the ribs. 10

Black Powder Bill
04-17-2012, 10:28 PM
Hornady makes a Pa conical 50 cal 240 grain/ A little more weight than a RB and one less item to load/

mooman76
04-17-2012, 11:10 PM
RBs shot with a sabot will probably keyhole!:kidding::kidding:

troy_mclure
04-18-2012, 08:39 AM
RBs shot with a sabot will probably keyhole!:kidding::kidding:

:mrgreen:

troy_mclure
04-18-2012, 08:43 AM
Hornady makes a Pa conical 50 cal 240 grain/ A little more weight than a RB and one less item to load/

the rb/sabot weight is less than 165gr. he was trying a patched .490 tin rb, but it wasnt accurate at all.

troy_mclure
04-18-2012, 08:44 AM
I wouldn't water drop if you're gonna use a sabot. Not necessary. Just go straight COWW if you want but for my sabot shooting I use 49-49-2%. That is COWW-soft Pb-tin, this mix is commonly called 1-1+2%. Gives a very good performing bullet mix for sabot or RB ML hunting boolits. The RB is .45 cal to start so a long wound channel is desireable. My daughter, at 10-12 yrs old, originally shot a .50 with patched RB and 65 gr of F Swiss and she was under 100# then. Very light recoil even with the 180 gr .50 RB. and plenty for deer out to as far as you can hit them in the ribs. 10

his rifle wont shoot prb with an accuracy he feels comfortable hunting with

masscaster
04-18-2012, 09:44 AM
Hi troy_mclure,
There's several folks that I sell to which shoot a .454 RB in a .50 Inline. This is mainly target shooting.
The ones that Hunt with lighter boolits use the Lyman #452488 SWC/ACP 185gr. boolit.
Especially the Wolf Inline shooter's.
The only problem with a ball of this size is the 100 yard kill. Accuracy will also drop off without humping up the load at said distances.
The alloy of the RB should be Hard!! 90% WW/10% Pure Water Quenched will be sufficient. Perhaps a touch of 60/40 Bar solder in the pot before pouring. Well Fluxed.

Too soft at 50 yards and it won't penetrate!! A bone will stop the ball, since it has little mass.

masscaster

Black Powder Bill
04-19-2012, 05:03 PM
an older non net savvy buddy of mine has very bad shoulders and cannot handle much recoil at all.

he has a knight american .50 with a limbsaver recoil pad installed that he uses for hunting and target shooting.

he has found that a .454 lrb in a .45/.50 sabot over 65gr pyrodex rs provides great accuracy for minimum recoil.

he is planning on using this load for deer.

what would be better a soft lead ball, or a hard cast water dropped alloy?

Soft lead.
Tell your firend to set up a pine board at 100 yds, heck set 2 up one in front of the other spaced about 6" apart. Shoot at the boards and see what the penetration is like. I do think if the RB punches through the 1st board it will kill a deer @ 100yds.

I do have to ask, how hard is it to pound that sabot and 454 RB combination down the bore? I picture a RB with some ovalness to it & sabot petal marks on it.
I'm missing something here? :?:

Omnivore
04-19-2012, 05:13 PM
Too soft at 50 yards and it won't penetrate!! A bone will stop the ball, since it has little mass.

Citation?

I haven't shot .45s, but using a pure lead .495" RB I get total penetration on deer, out to 85 yards (my longest shot to date). Some balls have cut ribs on both sides. One quartering away shot penetrated 25 inches (measured with a rod through the wound channel). Never have I seen any signs of ball deformation, and these are going 1,600 to 1,900 fps out of the gate.

Caveat; I am assuming that the RBs sold by Speer and Hornady for use in muzzleloaders are made of pure lead. If they aren't, then I'm wrong about pure lead, as that means I will not have killed any deer with a pure lead projectile.

Also; deer are not made of wood.

troy_mclure
04-19-2012, 11:25 PM
Soft lead.
Tell your firend to set up a pine board at 100 yds, heck set 2 up one in front of the other spaced about 6" apart. Shoot at the boards and see what the penetration is like. I do think if the RB punches through the 1st board it will kill a deer @ 100yds.

I do have to ask, how hard is it to pound that sabot and 454 RB combination down the bore? I picture a RB with some ovalness to it & sabot petal marks on it.
I'm missing something here? :?:

It actually runs in quite smooth! The sabot calls for .452, but the .454 rb sits in there just fine. You can actually start it with your thumb. I tried some .430 250gr in it that were harder to start.

PanaDP
04-20-2012, 01:45 PM

masscaster

Tell that to the whitetail I shot several years ago that was quartering toward me. The ball left a surprisingly sharp-edged round mark in the very edge of a shoulder blade, broke a rib going in, went through the heart and a lung which deflected it upward somewhat. The ball continued on another 12 to 14 inches and lodged in the spinal column. That was a dead soft, pure lead roundball at about 55 yards.

Nobody told her that she shouldn't curl up and be dead by the time the smoke cleared. If only you had been there to inform her.