PDA

View Full Version : How much should I lube?

melw
04-06-2007, 06:49 PM
In my other thread I reported some suscess in casting boolits.
The rifle boolist are 7mm from a Lyman mold #2660405.
It has what looks like lube grooves all the way up.
I would like to know how far up I should put the lube.
You can see what the boolits look like in the other thtead.
Thanks
Mel W.

buck1
04-06-2007, 07:16 PM
It s a trial and error thing. Too many or to few will give trouble. All I can offer is start off with the back 2 or 3 and add or subtract as needed.
A lube star on the end of the bbl is too much wile a lead star is too little...FWIW>>>>>>>>buck

leftiye
04-06-2007, 07:20 PM
You could start by filling all of the grooves, and testing for accuracy. Then you could progressively fill fewer and fewer grooves while keeping all of your other load info the same. I'm sorry, I can't answer the question any other way- I've got no idea how much lube will work best in your gun with your alloy, and your load, at that velocity. There is nevethheless such a thing as too much lube, and also such a thing as too little lube. Also, the difference that too much or too little lube makes is not always a big enough difference to be a big deal, Sometimes it is. Sorry I can't be more precise.

1Shirt
04-09-2007, 11:32 AM
There is something about not filling all the grooves of Lovern style blts. that makes them look kind of naked sticking out of the neck of a case. That said, if you lube all of them, (particularly with red or blue lube), they look pretty, but are prone to collect dirt and grit. If you lube all of the grooves, or even a percentage of those above the seated neck length of the case, you have to be real careful of keeping them clean. The advise on the other threads are words of wisdom.
1Shirt!:coffee: