PDA

View Full Version : mold ??

whitelightnin
04-17-2012, 10:53 AM
I have acquired a mold it is single cavity with a sprue plate but it is solid block and does not open ??
so how do you get the bullet out??
approx 40 -45 caliber
no mfg or any markings

Echo
04-17-2012, 11:21 AM
Probably a suppository mold...

whitelightnin
04-17-2012, 11:31 AM
good i will heat up some stuff right now.

gwpercle
04-17-2012, 06:35 PM
Somewhere I remember seeing a mould like that . After the lead was poured and cooled the sprue was opened and the mould , it was brass, was turned over and tapped untill the bullet dropped out. No lube groves of course , it was supposed to be paper patched and loaded. I'm not sure a suppository mould would need a sprue plate but I am not familiar with that kind of mould.

Evidently that type mould wasn't that popular or didn't work that well cause nobody makes them like that any more. I can just imagine the sticking of boolits in that bad boy.

I also remember the handle...it was just a single handle . The block was attached to a wooden handle by a metal socket made as part of the block... Do you think you could post a photo or drawing of it ? I would sure like to see it.............gary

Wolfer
04-17-2012, 09:44 PM
If you dig around in the molds section you can read a lot about homemade molds like yours.
I think their easy to put a HP pin in and if necessary use the hole to push the boolit out.
From what I read it's usually not necessary.