PDA

View Full Version : Dveloping an Alloy for 40 S&W?????

ZakAttackMan
04-17-2012, 01:06 AM
Just got myself a Master Caster last week and am trying to develop an alloy to shoot out of my Glock 35 and make major PF

I'm using a Magma 185 gr FP FB that weighs out to over 190gr

My current attempts at the following alloys came out as follows:

1 WW to 1 Pure Lead Water Quenched = 22 BHN
1 WW to 2 Pure Lead Water Quenched = 17 BHN
1 WW to 3 Pure Lead Water Quenched = Waiting 48 hrs for results :popcorn:

( 1% tin added to all of the above; all BHN measurements where made after 48 hrs after casting )

The reason for using pure lead and quenching is that my pure lead supply is triple if not more than all of my other alloys.

The powder I'm going to use will be Red Dot. I have over 16lbs that my dad got from an estate sale. I have used it with 180gr plated and jacketed bullets and have had great results.

Quick Load puts 3.9 gr of Red Dot with a 190, LEADEx FN 18TC04062C CFPRS COAL 1.135" out of a 4.6" barrel @ 920 FPS Giving a PF of 174.8 well over the amount I need.

I plan on loading thousands of these so I can practice and compete all with the same load.

So my question is will the BHN soften enough after a long period of time to cause leading or effect accuracy?

I'm guessing that using a smaller amount of wheel weights will decrease the effect of age softening; and with my final BHN alloy will probably be around 12 and a decrease of 1 to 2 BHN shouldn't be a problem for the lower velocities I'm using????

Del-Ray
04-17-2012, 12:27 PM
I can't speak for the alloy, but is this a factory barrel? I was under the assumption lead can't be shot from a factory barrel. Please tell me I'm wrong, as I have a hungry model 30 that would enjoy more shooting.

If it isn't I apologize for the question.

Love Life
04-17-2012, 12:33 PM
I can't speak for the alloy, but is this a factory barrel? I was under the assumption lead can't be shot from a factory barrel. Please tell me I'm wrong, as I have a hungry model 30 that would enjoy more shooting.

All I shoot from my factory glock barrels is lead bullets. Find a non leading load and blast away.

Del-Ray
04-17-2012, 06:25 PM
All I shoot from my factory glock barrels is lead bullets. Find a non leading load and blast away.

Thank God!

I've ordered a mold for it ten minutes ago.

Thank you.

runfiverun
04-18-2012, 01:15 AM
if you make 200 lbs of them and actually shoot the gun sometmes you'll never notice them going soft.

ZakAttackMan
04-18-2012, 02:08 AM

Thank God!

I've ordered a mold for it ten minutes ago.

Thank you.

Thanks for the info regarding lead alloy???

Here is the thread I think you should read regarding glock factory barrels and lead bullts.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=33855

ZakAttackMan
04-18-2012, 02:12 AM
if you make 200 lbs of them and actually shoot the gun sometimes you'll never notice them going soft.

From what I have read most alloys that are water quenched soften back to what they where 48 hours after casting? And continue to harden after several weeks; but to a less of an increase after 48 hours.

runfiverun
04-18-2012, 04:39 AM
it takes about 14 days to get close to thier final bhn.
it will go up and down a couple of points for about 30 days, and then takes something like 10 years to soften enough to notice.
waiting 2 years can actually make them shoot better.
you will see a hardness right from the water.
and you want to size within the first 48 if you have to size down more than 1 or 2 thousandths.
waiting just makes it that much harder to size them, and work softens that much of the boolit.

W.R.Buchanan
04-18-2012, 05:01 PM
With the load you describe you should get about 28000 rounds out of 16lbs before you run out of red dot.

I would suggest taking up skeet or trap shooting if you really want to burn up that powder efficiently.

Randy

ZakAttackMan
04-18-2012, 05:42 PM
With the load you describe you should get about 28000 rounds out of 16lbs before you run out of red dot.

I would suggest taking up skeet or trap shooting if you really want to burn up that powder efficiently.

Randy

I shoot around 500 rds of 40 every time I practice and I go 3-4 times a month depending on weather. The powder will last me 2-3 years which should be well before the bullets I cast begin to soften.

fredj338
04-18-2012, 08:47 PM
Running light 40 loads, you don't want a super hard bullet IME. Straight clip ww air cooled work fine for me. If you like water dropping, then the 3-1 will probably be about right. Proper size is always important. You don't even need the tin unless you have casting issues.

popper
04-20-2012, 10:46 AM
3-1 WD or 4-1 WD ice water.