PDA

View Full Version : SS Media

Lizard333
04-16-2012, 08:32 PM
I just read a post about how someone uses the SS media. The directions say to use 1 gallon of water and 2 lbs of brass with the five lbs of SS media. You then add 1-2 tsp of dish soap and a small amount of citric acid. This is the way I have been doing this.

Now the way the other way was mentioned used just enough water to cover the brass. I wonder if this allows for more brass.

The question is how are you guys using the SS media?? Is there tricks to process more brass at a time. The 2 lbs of brass at a time is my only problem with this setup.

blikseme300
04-16-2012, 09:08 PM
The directions are a guide, nothing more. The hardness of your water supply and the type of cases change the mix somewhat.

Here in deep south Texas we have quite hard water so more Lemi Shine is used. I typically use about a tea-spoon and another of Dove soap. Cases are typically 9mmP, 40S&W or .45 ACP.

Another factor is how dirty the brass is. I often only use about 3lbs of STM and 5lbs of deprimed brass. Water level to the top of the drum. Run time is typically 2 hours only. Spotless brass.

Don't be afraid to experiment. I have run the tumbler overnight with no damage to the brass.

The only problem I have with STM cleaned brass is that it needs some case lube to run smooth in my presses. I use Lanolin and 90% rubbing Alcohol mix in a mister spray. Cheap and easy to do. This also prevents the brass from discoloration due to oxidation.

Bliksem

GRUMPA
04-16-2012, 09:35 PM
Lizard,

I typically run more cases in the tumbler just decrease water to compensate for the brass, works pretty well so far.

But I process alot of cases in a given week with the 1 tumbler, I'm seriously considering getting another so I can keep up with the amount of cleaning I do.

But I will add this,
Most run the tumbler for 4hrs...OK....I run mine for 4hrs as well...BUT.....after 2hrs of cleaning really dirty cases which I run more pieces than normal, I empty the tumbler and add fresh water, then run it for the remaining 2hrs. They seem to come out better when I do that, and I normally do 1-3k 223's a week, plus other stuff.

All the 223's I've done I only had 1 case recently have the SS media stuck in it, so now I check them all first before I process them.

RACWIN375
04-16-2012, 11:15 PM
I'm using a RCBS sidewinder I use the RCBS liquid media and I only use 2lb at the most of SS Media but I do tumble for a longer time like 6-12 hours I like bright brass

Rick

9-toes
04-16-2012, 11:54 PM
I use it for small batches right now. I made a tumbler with an old liter bottle of Mountain Dew and a piece of tubing to act as the agitator. Motor speed is slow enough and it is super quiet. I'll need to build another tumbler for bigger loads here real soon. Lemi-Shine and a touch of dawn work great.

yottey
04-17-2012, 08:50 AM
9-toes what are you using for a motor?I have been trying to find one slow enough without going crazy with large gear reductions.Thanks

captaint
04-17-2012, 09:35 AM
lizard - I have been doing EXACTLY what you have been doing. Great results. I don't intend to change the procedure, except to try adding a little more brass !!! Gotta try ... enjoy Mike

Cadillo
04-17-2012, 01:14 PM
You will get a lot of advice here. My first piece of same will be to tell you to read it all, and then try various methods until you find what works best for you.
I use a Thumler's Model B. I have and use two to double my production. I had three vibratory cleaners. I gave away one and still have two in reserve for when my son-in-law decides that he has enough time to start reloading, then they will go to him. SS is the only method for me.

I've been doing my brass this way for about two to three years and have done a lot of experimentation before settling on this method:

Clean and oil the Model B's rollers after each session. Remove the rubber liner from the drum after each session to insure proper drying and rust avoidance. (Don't ask me how I know this). I keep the outside of the liner moist with a little silicon spray, which helps greatly with its removal and reinstallation.

I always decap my brass by hand before cleaning. I use a Wilson base and pin available from Brownell's/Sinclair, which I find to be faster and more efficient than a dedicated decapping die. The benefits are clean as new primer pockets and a very clean loading bench due to lack of primer residue.

As someone else said above, the squeaky clean brass can at times be hard to size. To mitigate this issue, I keep a can of Imperial sizing Wax on the bench next to my 550's and add just a touch of lube to one in every six to eight cases, problem easily solved.

I load the tumbler with my pins, water, and brass. I then add a short squirt of Ivory Dishwashing liquid and the equivalent of a 9x19 case of Lemishine rinse aid crystals to the wash water. I then tumble for four hours. Some folks tumble for less time and are satisfied. I've found that four hours leaves my brass, including primer pockets looking better than new brass from a factory box, provided I rinse and dry correctly.

There are many effective ways to separate the brass from the other components and do the initial rinse, so I won't get into that here, but will tell you that you have wasted a lot of effort if you don't follow this next step.

After the initial thorough rinse, prepare a vessel with about one gallon of water to which you have added and mixed about a .40 S&W case of Lemishine crystals. Drop the rinsed brass into the solution and leave it for just a few seconds. It will quickly begin to sparkle before your eyes.

I bought a couple of mesh bags at Walmart. They are marketed for drying tennis shoes in a clothes dryer. I load my cleaned brass into these bags and then place them on top of the outside A/C unit, where the dry thoroughly.

There are many successful ways to do all this, but this method works best for me, and would be a good starting point to get you going until you can refine your own best method.

Good Shooting!

Cadillo
04-17-2012, 01:20 PM
The directions are a guide, nothing more. The hardness of your water supply and the type of cases change the mix somewhat.

Here in deep south Texas we have quite hard water so more Lemi Shine is used. I typically use about a tea-spoon and another of Dove soap. Cases are typically 9mmP, 40S&W or .45 ACP.

Another factor is how dirty the brass is. I often only use about 3lbs of STM and 5lbs of deprimed brass. Water level to the top of the drum. Run time is typically 2 hours only. Spotless brass.

Don't be afraid to experiment. I have run the tumbler overnight with no damage to the brass.

The only problem I have with STM cleaned brass is that it needs some case lube to run smooth in my presses. I use Lanolin and 90% rubbing Alcohol mix in a mister spray. Cheap and easy to do. This also prevents the brass from discoloration due to oxidation.

Bliksem

If you do a final rinse in some fresh water with just a bit of Lemishine crystals mixed in, your brass will shine like gold for a long time as long as it's stored in a climate controlled place. In fact the clean brass will change color to gold right before your eyes in that final Lemishine bath. It only takes a few seconds to make a HUGE difference. And no water spots.

Chicken Thief
04-17-2012, 01:29 PM
9-toes what are you using for a motor?I have been trying to find one slow enough without going crazy with large gear reductions.Thanks

I use a viper motor (No not the V10 ;) ) window viper motor. Runs something like 45-60rpm and 12V power supply is an old PC one.

yottey
04-17-2012, 06:27 PM
I never thought of using a 12 volt motor that would solve the rpm issues.Thanks for the info.

RACWIN375
04-17-2012, 06:45 PM
were are you guys buying your SS media I only see 5lb bags for $50
I saw an old post about a place that has a discount for board members
any info to get would help the stuff I have are pins that are non-magnet I only have 2lbs

Rick

Longwood
04-17-2012, 06:52 PM
How about a cordless drill that the batteries all died on and a computer power supply.

GRUMPA
04-17-2012, 07:01 PM
any info to get would help the stuff I have are pins that are non-magnet I only have 2lbs

Rick

The only 1 I know of is the STM outfit and that's on the main page upper right hand corner, but I don't think that they offer the discount anymore.

montana_charlie
04-17-2012, 07:08 PM
9-toes what are you using for a motor?
Have you considered a rotisserie motor from a charcoal grill?

CM

Lizard333
04-17-2012, 07:12 PM
I remember reading that guys were having success with as little as three pounds. With the two pounds, I would use less brass and maybe a little longer to tumble.

9-toes
04-17-2012, 09:30 PM

Vexta motor - got it from the scrap at work. We used to get the following models:

2CSM-101
4CSM-101
4CSM-111

and the website mentioned in the PDF I downloaded is:

www.motadistribution.com

I'm gonna see if they got something larger as I said earlier it's kinda struggling now.

9-toes
04-17-2012, 09:33 PM
Have you considered a rotisserie motor from a charcoal grill?

CM

Like it . . . gonna have to start looking. Thanks

Longwood
04-17-2012, 10:57 PM
Vexta motor - got it from the scrap at work. We used to get the following models:

2CSM-101
4CSM-101
4CSM-111

and the website mentioned in the PDF I downloaded is:

www.motadistribution.com

I'm gonna see if they got something larger as I said earlier it's kinda struggling now.

One thing to remember about foreign motors is they use lousy coatings on the wire and are wound with recycled copper and are gutless compared to an American made motor.

SlowSmokeN
04-18-2012, 12:26 AM
I use it for small batches right now. I made a tumbler with an old liter bottle of Mountain Dew and a piece of tubing to act as the agitator. Motor speed is slow enough and it is super quiet. I'll need to build another tumbler for bigger loads here real soon. Lemi-Shine and a touch of dawn work great.

9-Toes, would you mind posting a picture of your set up using the 2 liter bottle. I would love to try to make one.

Thanks

RACWIN375
04-18-2012, 07:26 AM
hi
my house has well water that will turn brass black will using Lemi Shine in the water will fix this so I don't need distilled water anymore

what do you think it would be nice to us my tap water

and does wall mart sell Lemi Shine

thanks

Rick

[smilie=s:

Lizard333
04-18-2012, 07:46 AM
I would try it. I have found lemi shine at Walmart and Frys. The STM website sells it as well.

Lizard333
04-18-2012, 08:04 AM
I forgot to mention it is going to be located in the dishwasher soap section.

RACWIN375
04-18-2012, 10:52 AM
yes and STM wants $12 shipping for it

Lizard333
04-18-2012, 01:50 PM
RACWIN375, let me know if you don't find it where your at. I'll send you some to try.

montana_charlie
04-18-2012, 01:55 PM
yes and STM wants $12 shipping for it
Instead of Lemi-Shine, just use citric acid. That is the ingredient you get from Lemi-Shine, anyway.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=citric+acid&_sacat=See-All-Categories

CM

Lizard333
04-18-2012, 04:29 PM
Heck, you could use lemon juice for that matter as well. You will just have to play with how much.

Cadillo
04-18-2012, 05:49 PM
hi
my house has well water that will turn brass black will using Lemi Shine in the water will fix this so I don't need distilled water anymore

what do you think it would be nice to us my tap water

and does wall mart sell Lemi Shine

thanks

Rick

[smilie=s:

The local Walmarts have it in the dishwashing products section. It is a rinse aid for use in electric dishwashers. It is granulated and cost about $3.59 here locally. The only other grocery chain here is HEB, and they have it for about the same price. A little goes a long way.

I personally wouldn't use any form of acid, but that's just me. I know some folks who light their barbecues with Varsol with no as yet evident ill effects, and won't do that either. I'm just picky I guess.

Longwood
04-18-2012, 06:12 PM
Someone pointed out that the Lemonade mix at Walmart is citric acid.
I use water, the Lemonade mix, Zep professional strength de-greaser or an orange oil based concrete driveway cleaner, in my sonic cleaners and it works great.
A few cycles in the sonic cleaner, then a few hours in my vibrator cleaner with walnut shells, rough, Nu finish and dryer sheets, and my brass is too shiny to look at in the sunlight.
I am going to take my sonic cleaner to a friend to disable the internal timer so I can run it on a plug-in timer for longer periods. Right now, the longest cycle is only five minutes which is not enough time.
I have a couple of, one revolution per minute, gearmotors, I may make a automatic stirrer for the sonic cleaner.

Lizard333
04-18-2012, 07:21 PM
Maybe it's just me but I can't view your picture.

9-toes
04-18-2012, 07:27 PM
9-Toes, would you mind posting a picture of your set up using the 2 liter bottle. I would love to try to make one.

Thanks

Sorry, thought I had the image mapped right. Here you go:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/imagehosting/thum_231324f8f4c8a08b7c.jpg ('http://castboolits.gunloads.com/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=4856')

Parts are from a discarded rack from a one hour photolab, some wood, and a Mountain Dew bottle. Like I said - for small batches. I got a 5 gal planned as soon as I get the motor.

Lizard333
04-18-2012, 10:05 PM
Very cool.

SlowSmokeN
04-18-2012, 11:23 PM
Thanks -Toes, that is very cool. Going to have to work on one of those.

GRUMPA
04-18-2012, 11:40 PM
Well I will comment on 9-toes little project he has. I really envy people that can come up with an idea and make it work. ME??? well let's not go there OK.

RACWIN375
04-19-2012, 06:40 AM
RACWIN375, let me know if you don't find it where your at. I'll send you some to try.

that is very nice of you to offer BUT I live 2 miles from a Wally supper center I think they have it
thank you
I don't have a 40cal shell how much do I put in a gal??? a tea spoon

Rick

:Fire:

Lizard333
04-19-2012, 07:41 AM
The instructions that came with tumbler said to use an 1/8 teaspoon. With my water, I use 1/4 teaspoon. This is where I would start there and go up from there.

Moonman
04-19-2012, 07:51 AM
9MM case full of Lemi-Shine.

Magnetic Stainless aids with pick-up of media when dropped or spilled.

Dawn liquid you adjust according to the hardness of your local water.

9-toes
04-19-2012, 07:53 AM
Thanks for all the responses. After all the comments I was wondering how this thing would work with a rotisserie motor and one of those wide jugs of protein shake I see in the health food stores. Would make it easier for removing the cases.

RACWIN375
04-19-2012, 07:58 AM
9MM case full of Lemi-Shine.

Magnetic Stainless aids with pick-up of media when dropped or spilled.

Dawn liquid you adjust according to the hardness of your local water.

I have 9mm case my Stainless media is nonmagnetic so I use a magnet

:bigsmyl2:

Rick

Cadillo
04-19-2012, 09:13 PM
I have 9mm case my Stainless media is nonmagnetic so I use a magnet

:bigsmyl2:

Rick

What?????

zxcvbob
04-19-2012, 09:29 PM

Rick

I bought mine from http://www.stainlesstumblingmedia.com I couldn't find any discounts for Boolit members, but they've dropped the price to $45 for 5 pounds, then the postage is about $6. They shipped *really* fast.

Once I know for sure that I have more than a lifetime supply here, I may sell half of it.

It works really fast in short fat cases, like 9mm and .380 -- finished in 1 hour. But the .38 Specials mixed in the same batch were less than halfway done. So I left them all in and they're going right now. Don't know how it's going to work with a small tumbler and .223 cases. I'll find out later tonight.

badgeredd
04-19-2012, 09:51 PM

Rick

I just got some stainless media from Buffalo arms for $7.50 a pound for 5 pounds. Best price I could find anywhere.

Edd

RACWIN375
04-20-2012, 09:04 AM
I just got some stainless media from Buffalo arms for $7.50 a pound for 5 pounds. Best price I could find anywhere.

Edd

Got 2lbs from them

I found the Limi Shine at wall mart
do you use the Limi Shine rinse also

Rick

:Fire:

zuke
04-20-2012, 10:59 AM
Pellets LLC
63 Industrial Drive
North Tonawanda, NY 14120
P:716-693-1750
F:716-693-1880
Web www.pelletsllc.com

zxcvbob
04-20-2012, 11:20 AM
Pellets LLC
63 Industrial Drive
North Tonawanda, NY 14120
P:716-693-1750
F:716-693-1880
Web www.pelletsllc.com

Pellets sells in 50+ pound lots (I emailed them a week ago. Got a reply back from Kevin Walters) STM is one of their distributors.

Sonnypie
04-20-2012, 11:31 AM

Rick

Aside from STM, where I bought my set-up, there is two sources of the stainless media:
STM now offers a 2# Refresher pack of STM. (http://www.stainlesstumblingmedia.com/stainless-tumbling-media-refresh.html)

The other place I know of is Pellets LLC (http://www.pelletsllc.com/)
I've read where folks can call them, and the gal that answered the phone (http://www.pelletsllc.com/Contact) knows exactly what other reloaders are ordering, for about $27-28 for 5 pounds.
Magnetic and all. It sure helps for any strays that might get loose.

And finally, I globed onto a tossed liquid hand soap dispenser for my soap. One squirt, a dash of LemiShine, and tumble for as long as you like.

I used a postal scale to weigh out my brass. 70- 30-06 cases are just under 2 pounds.
45 ACP I've run upwards of 200 at a load.

Can't argue with the results: (http://s1195.photobucket.com/albums/aa382/Sonnypie/Stainless%20Tumbling%20Media/)

http://i1195.photobucket.com/albums/aa382/Sonnypie/45%20ACP%20Brass/P3020311.jpg

LooyvilleLarry
04-20-2012, 01:12 PM
Has anyone tried the SS media in a vibratory? I think this has to be in a tumbler iirc.

zxcvbob
04-20-2012, 01:36 PM
I cleaned about 40 Wolf and Tula steel .223 cases last night in a small (3#) tumbler. I picked out my worst cases and just did those; ones that I had picked out of the mud and most were rusty. After 1 hour of tumbling they were clean but the badly rusted ones were still kind of rough. I checked them again after another hour and I can't tell for sure which ones were rusty and which ones weren't. They are all clean and smooth and uniformly dark gray. (oddly enough, it's a darker gray than when they went it. Must be a phosphate thing from the cleaner I'm using)

I'll do a larger batch of steel .223's tonight; the ones that are left are actually pretty clean already -- on the outsides.

I need to find my old Lortone 45C tumbler and get it working. It'll hold about twice as much brass as one drum of the HF tumbler, and it's bigger in diameter so it should do a much better job on .30-06 cases.

Revolver
04-20-2012, 02:04 PM
The other place I know of is Pellets LLC (http://www.pelletsllc.com/)
I've read where folks can call them, and the gal that answered the phone (http://www.pelletsllc.com/Contact) knows exactly what other reloaders are ordering, for about $27-28 for 5 pounds.
Magnetic and all. It sure helps for any strays that might get loose.

FYI to everyone... I just called Pellets, LLC and the nice woman told me that they quit doing small orders this month. Minimum order is now 25lbs at $6/lb. She says they get a lot of phone calls but it's not worth the effort.

Chicken Thief
04-20-2012, 04:11 PM
I just fell over this 60RPM motor for a smallish tumbler:

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/high-torque-60rpm-12v-dc-geared-motor-91625

Lizard333
04-20-2012, 11:28 PM
FYI to everyone... I just called Pellets, LLC and the nice woman told me that they quit doing small orders this month. Minimum order is now 25lbs at $6/lb. She says they get a lot of phone calls but it's not worth the effort.

It looks like maybe a group buy might be in the future.......

zxcvbob
04-20-2012, 11:33 PM
It looks like maybe a group buy might be in the future.......

I thought about that; I didn't want to undercut one of our sponsors. (Pellets also led me to believe the minimum order was 50 pounds, not just 25)

Jailer
04-20-2012, 11:51 PM
I just fell over this 60RPM motor for a smallish tumbler:

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/high-torque-60rpm-12v-dc-geared-motor-91625

I highly doubt that motor would be up to the task of turning a drum filled with brass, media and water. I could be wrong but I don't think it would work.

edsmith
04-21-2012, 12:19 AM
I cleaned a small batch of 45 lc brass in a vib. tumbler, they came out almost as clean as a rotary tumbler, don;t know about a large batch. used 2lb. of pins, soap, and lemishine.

Longwood
04-21-2012, 02:53 PM
I highly doubt that motor would be up to the task of turning a drum filled with brass, media and water. I could be wrong but I don't think it would work.

I bought three off of ebay last year for $10 shipped to my house.
They are plentiful.
They small and very low powered.
About the only good thing I see with them, tumbler wise, is that you can vary the speed by adding or lessening the voltage.
I believe they come from toy cars that kids replaced motors with go fast motors.

40Super
04-21-2012, 03:20 PM
I use a Lyman Twin vib. for my pin setup. It actually cleans cases faster(15-25min) than the tumbler,but it can't be loaded down with as many pieces so you have to change batches more. So far it's been going for a year now(I bought the Lyman in 1996ish)with the pins. Sometime I plan on making a bigger pot and motor setup, but keep it as a vibrating machine rather than tumbler because it seems to work good.

zxcvbob
04-21-2012, 04:27 PM
I have bunch of *new* .45 Colt brass that's tarnished dark from poor storage, and it doesn't polish up good no matter how long I tumble it in corncob or walnut. (it still shot just fine whenever I would load some) It all looks new again after wet-tumbling for an hour with the SS pins. :)

OTOH, maybe all I needed to do all along is soak it in warm citric acid and detergent before polishing it. (I've done that before with really nasty range-pickup brass using a brief vinegar soak)

Sonnypie
04-21-2012, 04:54 PM

Sorry to hear that.
Well, STM is still a source.
And Moonman, is your bud still in the chain? Or has he bowed out?

Longwood
04-21-2012, 06:36 PM
I have been reading this and decided to try BB's.
I got 6000, around five pounds at Walmart for less than a ten spot.

I have a big Scott Murray tumbler and lots of old and ugly brass.
I added some of the ugly brass to the tumbler with water, walnut shells citric cleaner, and Lemishine,,,, but that was not the best idea.
I wont try it again with necked brass and especially anything 22 caliber or under.

It worked really well with pistol brass, but I did not rinse the brass fast enough so I had to run it through the vibrator cleaner to remove the copper color that came in about 10 minutes in the sun..

I also ran a bunch of the same, old, discolored and stained, brass in the vibrator cleaner with BB's,walnut shells and Nu-finish.
I may try dry tumbling with walnut shells, BB's and Nu-finish to see how fast it works, but from what I see so far, ithe dry stuff in the vibrator is much easier to deal with.

zxcvbob
04-21-2012, 06:49 PM
I think dry polishing in the vibrator is going to be my default method too. But when I occasionally shoot blackpowder cartridges, those cases have to be washed anyway, and lately I've been picking up a lot of bottleneck cases at the range. They have dirt and sand in them that doesn't clean out very well unless I wash them.

I also like not stirring up toxic dust from the dry media.

So I haven't really decided. Having multiple choices that each have their advantages is a good thing.

Longwood
04-21-2012, 08:09 PM
My first step after firing is de-prime and into the sonic cleaner.
Where it goes next will be the vibrator or the tumbler, but dry for sure.
I only shoot 45 Long Colt and 45-70 these days, so the BB's and walnut shells, are working well and very quickly.