PDA

View Full Version : NRA show in St. Louis

DonMountain
04-16-2012, 09:46 AM
I took a ride up to visit the NRA gun show in St. Louis on Saturday, and walked around all day. I was disappointed in what was presented for cast boolit production and firearms. There were very few companies related to cast boolits there, and what they showed was pretty minimal. Lyman and RCBS was about all I saw, and they were all aimed at high capacity j-bullit loading. In firearms, there is a big upswing in "cowboy" guns. And I liked the looks of the Lyman "Ideal" copy of a miniture falling block rifle in .38-55. And the many .45-70 lever actions and falling block rifles by various rifle makers. Lots of "Sharps" reproductions but I bet they are high money to get one. But what I saw most of is: Zombie?, black plastic AR-15 style rifles, plastic semi-auto handguns, loaded ammo for shooting people when you get mugged, and accessories for "building up" your semi-auto rifles and shotguns. What the heck is all of this "Zombie" stuff? The 18 year old child went with me and he collected a bunch of that sort of stuff. Is that what turns kids on now days? And what calibers and sizes of boolits are optimal for shooting "Zombies"?

:guntootsmiley:

gasboffer
04-16-2012, 09:56 AM
The New York Times had an article on the NRA Show. Surprisingly, it was pretty good reporting, compared with thier usual tripe.
I asked on another board why I should be shooting Zombies and are they good to eat. Fried or boiled? No answer.

bowenrd
04-16-2012, 03:21 PM
It is all about sales and catering to the younger generation. Same thing happened to (good) Country music.

9-toes
04-16-2012, 04:55 PM
I read this a little earlier today and was a little torn about this. I thought maybe if we pointed out the fact that "IF" said Zombie or Mayan calendar thing ever happened, they'd blow through jacketed rounds pretty fast and being a caster would be a benefit. Maybe people might smarten up a bit and ease up on the government Kool-Aid.

Then I had to go out and run some errands and deal with said "people" . . . . now I think I'd actually welcome a Zombie outbreak as the bulk of the survivors would be like minded gun owners and casters. Plus, the zombies wouldn't be able to move so fast after their big meal of left-winger, gun control freaks. Sorry to rant but the DMV does that to me.

MikeS
04-16-2012, 05:29 PM
That's a good point, if something ever did break out, all the left wing gun control types would be the first to go, without guns to protect themselves with! As far as zombies go, I'm surprised you didn't recognize them, considering you were at the DMV where most of the zombies work! Having said that, I kind of feel sorry for the few government workers that actually do their jobs to the best of their abilities, and still have pride in having done so. I mean they still exist, don't they?

wv109323
04-16-2012, 05:42 PM
No, government workers that do their job to the best of their ability have been extinct around my area for at least 10-12 years.
The government workers that were level headed,used logic and common sense, and contributed to the good of society; well that bunch has been extinct for well over 50 years. One hard winter wiped them all out. Democrats grew back in their place.

runfiverun
04-16-2012, 09:24 PM
there is a test for government jobs.
i repeatedly fail it for some reason....
there is zombie reloading components now too.

a lot of it started as a joke from hornady but it sells ammo and stuff,
you'd have to be somewhat tarded to not add to the line.

ar's are the new 03/mauser/30 carbine.
get used to seeing them.
if you put the word "tactical" on a package you can automatically raise the price by 25%.
and since it is tactical it's worth the extra money [i guess] it count's if it's tactical paper with circles or zombie pictures.

i have liked zombie movies since "night of the living dead".
and really like the comedy ones.
it is the not so new thing with kids too.
it's just that i know my 30-30 with cast will do the job .
but i have an ar just in case :lol:

Reload3006
04-17-2012, 07:18 AM
I believe it all came from the Video game Resident Evil. Its a bunch of BS that kids have jumped on and are spending a ton of money on and there are a couple companies only too happy to take it.

Chicken Thief
04-17-2012, 07:28 AM
I read this a little earlier today and was a little torn about this. I thought maybe if we pointed out the fact that "IF" said Zombie or Mayan calendar thing ever happened, they'd blow through jacketed rounds pretty fast and being a caster would be a benefit. Maybe people might smarten up a bit and ease up on the government Kool-Aid.

Then I had to go out and run some errands and deal with said "people" . . . . now I think I'd actually welcome a Zombie outbreak as the bulk of the survivors would be like minded gun owners and casters. Plus, the zombies wouldn't be able to move so fast after their big meal of left-winger, gun control freaks. Sorry to rant but the DMV does that to me.

You got it wrong there mate!
Zombies feed on brains and those you mentioned has a big lack thereof ;)

DonMountain
04-17-2012, 08:07 AM
So, somehow I have missed entirely this all "new" Zombie outbreak! Can anybody recommend a few good Zombie movies my wife can get through her Netflix account for all of us to educate us on appropriate firearms to use for the next "Zombie" attack? Seems to me I saw one of these really crudely made movies way back in the 1970's. So, are there new ones now? And I probably really need that new Winchester Model 71 in .45-70 so I can shoot lots more of those 520 grain boolits right? At zombies? :drinks: :Fire:

41 mag fan
04-17-2012, 09:21 AM
Next will be the zombie tacti cool rifle.
The Ar's the next gen thing though. Kids find them "cool". Esp if they can add every whiz bang dumaflatchie there is too it, so the 7 lb rifle, just became 25 lbs.
I myself, went to the show Sat too, but I was there for one thing, and that was to talk to the vendors on building me a 300 AAC blk, and wanting to see the latest in parts and why their products were better.

They did have an AR on display that was all skulled out, and in a way it was pretty neat looking, but it was looks only.

Chicken Thief
04-17-2012, 10:19 AM
So, somehow I have missed entirely this all "new" Zombie outbreak! Can anybody recommend a few good Zombie movies my wife can get through her Netflix account for all of us to educate us on appropriate firearms to use for the next "Zombie" attack? Seems to me I saw one of these really crudely made movies way back in the 1970's. So, are there new ones now? And I probably really need that new Winchester Model 71 in .45-70 so I can shoot lots more of those 520 grain boolits right? At zombies? :drinks: :Fire:

For a good laugh try 2 of Peter Jacksons very early movies:
Braindead and Bad Taste. Gooey but hilarious.

DonMountain
04-17-2012, 12:22 PM
For a good laugh try 2 of Peter Jacksons very early movies:
Braindead and Bad Taste. Gooey but hilarious.

Thanks Chicken Thief for the recommendations. I will see if we can find them to rent. As for all the AR style rifles. Back when I was trying to "collect" examples of all of the cartridge military rifles the United States used over the years, I bought one of those plastic AR-15 style rifles. But my tastes in reloading gravitated toward heavy cast boolit reloading and larger military rifles of the last centry. So I haven't fired the AR in 20 years. It was like shooting a pop gun and I lost all my brass. So that didn't work very well. :coffeecom