PDA

View Full Version : lube on boolits

101coolcars
04-15-2012, 10:57 PM
I am using felix lube on my cast 45 acp boolits, they are a "bit" messy, i stumbled on the idea of rolling them around on a towel with some wd-40 on them, it really cleans them up and shines them too, I have fired some with no apparant issues, do you guys see any problem with this approach?

Thanks
Terry

PuppetZ
04-15-2012, 11:06 PM
As long as you dont remove the lube from the lub groove, will not be a problem. It where it is needed.

btroj
04-15-2012, 11:07 PM
Rather than WD-40 try a bit of mineral spirits. Many use a slightly daped rag held by the ends so it makes a hammock. Roll a handful of cases at a time and the lube is gone.
Felix lube is generally soft enough that other than being a bit messy it won't harm the ability for rounds to chamber easily.

runfiverun
04-15-2012, 11:12 PM
rubbing alcohol will take the tack out of beeswax lubes.
a light spritz on the surface is all you want.

i'd just add a bit more b-wax to my lube though.

101coolcars
04-15-2012, 11:19 PM
Those are great suggestions, i will try them all. I really like the felix lube, but i also like the way the commercial cast bullet come, nice and neat. after seeing both is easy to see why the felix lube actually lubes better.

Thanks
Terry

Frank
04-15-2012, 11:56 PM
Time for that lubesizer. Hand lube .45 ACP? Forget it. :violin:

olafhardt
04-16-2012, 01:17 AM
WD -40 is an excellent solvent but it was made to penetrate and disperse. WD=waterdispersant. I have had it make 22lr's into duds when used on a revolver that was reloaded before it dried. Since that happened I try to keep it away from ammo. I think spraying boolits with it is asking for misfiresYMMV.

MikeS
04-16-2012, 04:41 PM
Dispite what many others say about tumble lube, I actually find it neater in use than conventional lube. When I load boolits that are conventionally lubed I find I ALWAYS have to wipe of excess lube from completed cartridges. With tumble lubed boolits, while there is a thin coating of lube on the entire boolit, it's thin, and even, and so can stay right where it is. I don't load using a progressive press, but if I did I think I would only want to use tumble lubed boolits, so that when the cartridges come down the chute they're DONE, only needing to be boxed up.

When I do use conventionally lubed boolits (most of the time), I keep a rag handy, and wipe off each round as it's finished, before putting it in the box of ammo I'm making, and it takes as much time to wipe off the cartridge as is does all other operations in the loading process (other than initial case prep) combined.

101coolcars
04-16-2012, 09:40 PM
I will sure be carefull when and if i use wd-40 in the future, but what i was doing was rolling the cast bootlits (projectiles) only on a towel to clean em up some. I am using a loaded star for sizing and my own made felix lube, when the boolits stack up in the bin they start getting messy, possibly my lube is a bit too soft, but isnt soft better than hard for performance, but the opposite true for packaging? I am looking for a nice combination of neatness and performance.

Thanks
terry

mdi
04-17-2012, 11:35 AM
I will sure be carefull when and if i use wd-40 in the future, but what i was doing was rolling the cast bootlits (projectiles) only on a towel to clean em up some. I am using a loaded star for sizing and my own made felix lube, when the boolits stack up in the bin they start getting messy, possibly my lube is a bit too soft, but isnt soft better than hard for performance, but the opposite true for packaging? I am looking for a nice combination of neatness and performance.

Thanks
terry
I would try the alcohol in a towel hammock. But I don't have a prob with extra stickiness, just a part of lubing.

Funny how a thread can go from cleaning cast bullets to hand lubing (where'd that come from?) to tumble lubing...:bigsmyl2:

ku4hx
04-17-2012, 11:44 AM
I just lubes 'em with thinned LLA and after they're dry lightly dust 'em with Motor Mica. No muss, no fuss, no tackiness.

Frank
04-17-2012, 12:01 PM
mdl:

Funny how a thread can go from cleaning cast bullets to hand lubing (where'd that come from?)
Why is he cleaning? :confused:

mdi
04-17-2012, 12:55 PM
mdl:

Why is he cleaning? :confused:
Reread his first post. His bullets are a "bit" messy and he was sharing his method of cleaning them and wanted feed back on said method...

Cherokee
04-17-2012, 08:55 PM
Mike, If you are having to wipe lube off the bullets, something is wrong. You might look at your process to see where the lube is being forced onto the CB. I am guessing the bullets did not come with lube other than in the lube groove. Just a thought....

MikeS
04-19-2012, 03:31 PM
I am guessing the bullets did not come with lube other than in the lube groove. Just a thought....

First off, they're boolits, not bullets, and they didn't come at all. I cast them, and also lubed them. The thing is, my Star sometimes leaves a little bit of lube on the noses of boolits, add to that the fact that they're just put loosely into a container, and you get boolits that get lube on them in places it shouldn't be! I suppose I could leave the lube on the noses, but they just don't look right that way, and might gum up my guns more than they should, so I wipe off the excess lube.

A J
04-19-2012, 10:43 PM
Shooting about 600 rounds a week and casting my own, I look for the easy way to get 'er dun. Make my own sticky lube and also use mink oil to lube my cases. Way too much trouble to wipe each round so I put the loaded rounds in a coffee can and spray them down with mineral spirits and swirl them around like in tumble lubing. Then toss them in the tumbler using dry walnut media and tumble them until clean and shiny. Removes the sticky lube from the boolits and cleans the mink oil off the cases. Rounds are clean, dry and won't attract crud that will cause problems.