PDA

View Full Version : My kids' first outing with a .410

jmsj
04-15-2012, 08:37 PM
Hey Guys,
After finally getting the components for .410 shells and getting a hundred shells loaded, my kids got to shoot their first shotgun shells. They had a blast.
I loaded the first bunch of shells to make sure that the reloader was set right and then my 8 year old son and 12 year old daughter both loaded a box of shells under my supervision.
This evening we went out behind the barn and shot some of those shells. The wind was blowing pretty hard so we hung an empty milk jug from a rope around a branch. The wind had the jug swaying back and forth and we were about 20 yards away. My 8 year old son is still a little too small to hold the .410 SXS that my father sent for them. I knelt down on one knee, swung the gun and he pulled the triggers. He was tickled to death when he saw the jug jump a little when the shot hit it. My 12 year old daughter is big enough to swing the SXS and after some coaching she was loading and shooting. I believe she only missed the jug one time.
As we were walking home we had to walk past some turkeys that were about 20 yards away and my daughter asks me, "do you think this .410 could kill a turkey?".
They both have been shooting .22's for awhile and have been wanting to shoot a shotgun. I'm glad that they enjoyed their first shotgun outing. They both are wondering when they can go pheasant with me.
jmsj

southpaw
04-15-2012, 10:17 PM
Congrats! Sounds like a great time was had by all. Don't sell the 410 short. My 870 patterns good enough at 25 yards to kill a turkey. As a matter of fact I killed one with it 2 years ago. I shoot 3" shells with 3/4 oz of #6's. You just might have their first turkey gun there.

Keepem shooting and good luck.

Jerry Jr.

greenbud
04-16-2012, 12:21 PM
Congrats! Sounds like a great time was had by all. Don't sell the 410 short. My 870 patterns good enough at 25 yards to kill a turkey. As a matter of fact I killed one with it 2 years ago. I shoot 3" shells with 3/4 oz of #6's. You just might have their first turkey gun there.

Keepem shooting and good luck.

Jerry Jr.

I agree a good 410 with different loads will drop every thing for squirel to racoon and quail to turkey.