PDA

View Full Version : SmartReloader SR787 tumbler?

beex215
04-15-2012, 10:53 AM
anyone have one of these? care to share your experience with it?

dragonrider
04-15-2012, 10:59 AM
Link don't work, goes to somewhere about helicopters.

beex215
04-15-2012, 11:22 AM
i didnt provide a link. thats a youtube channel in my sig. im just wondering if someone had one and would like to know how they liked it from experience.

mdi
04-15-2012, 11:34 AM
I have had very limited experience with SmartReloader products. The press I bought is pure junk (I don't know how a manufacturer could mess up something as simple as a "C" style reloading press!), and I have since read reports of others SmartReloader presses/equipment being junk. Personally, I won't waste any more of my money on anything painted yellow or with the name SmartReloader on it...

ku4hx
04-15-2012, 11:36 AM
Love/hate situation at Cheaper Than Dirt.
http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/63931-1.html#Reviews

I'm still using my old Midway vibrator I got about 30 years ago. Never expected it to last that long; it and the Energizer Bunny must be best buds.

I like your YouTube link. My son is in flight training at Fort Rucker right now; he wants a Chinook.

dragonrider
04-15-2012, 12:13 PM
Oh, I see that now, sorry.

midnight
04-15-2012, 12:30 PM
I was thinking of getting a "787" too cuz it's the biggest one out there. I get tired of cleaning about 15 or 20 50BMG cases at a time. But their reputation as junk has preceded them. Other than price I havn't heard a good thing about them. Since I havn't used any of the equipment I only pass on what I have heard from others. I'll probably spring for the big one from Dillon. I have used Dillon's smaller one for almost 20 yrs and it stil works like new.

Bob

Bloodman14
04-15-2012, 01:25 PM
My Frankford Arsenal tumbler died some time ago, so I just bought the 787; I will let you know.

beex215
04-15-2012, 05:13 PM
i couldnt really find any info on it and i bit the bullet. ill have to review it as no one has one. youtube really was no help either. lets see who;s dies first.

Rocky Raab
04-15-2012, 06:30 PM
I know the folks at Berry's Manufacturing pretty well. (Their tumbler is great, BTW. They make them in several colors so other companies can paste their own labels on them. Hint.)

The guys at Berry's tell me that those Smart Reloader (and also Harbor Freight) tumblers save a whole nickel by leaving out a thermal fuse. That saved nickel has resulted in a lot of tumblers catching fire. Go to bed some night with the tumbler running out in the garage and think about THAT a while.

Bloodman14
04-16-2012, 12:55 AM
Would that be a warranty/liability issue?

evan price
04-16-2012, 02:34 AM
SmartReloader's business plan is to infringe on patents of respected American companies and duplicate them cheaply in China and sell them to cheapskate Wal*Mart mentality reloaders.
The warranty is basically none. The quality is basically none.
For the price of the 787 tumbler I can buy a Berry's or Cabela's and have one that will run for freaking ever. I'd rather run multiple Berry's & Cabela's tumblers than one SR787...I seriously looked at the SR787 because I tumble a hundred thousand pieces of brass a year. I didn't buy one. I won't buy them. That's my opinion.

45-70 Chevroner
04-17-2012, 02:32 AM
I bought a SmartReloader digital scale through Midway, the first one I got would not calibrate properly and Midway sent me another one plus a return shipping package for the first one. I've had it for almost two years and it is still working fine. I have heard from some of the guys I shoot with and on another web site that a lot of SmartReloader stuff is junk. Maybe you won't have any problems with it. After taking a look in the Midway catalog, I don't think they handle SmartReloader equipment any more, or maybe I got it from Midsouth, I can't remember.

captaint
04-17-2012, 09:32 AM
I got myself a Midway cheapie vibrator too. It has worked real well. I'd buy it again. I did take the cover off once and oil it at the appropriate spots just because somebody here said it was a good idea. I guess it was!! enjoy Mike

DLCTEX
04-17-2012, 10:22 AM
My Midway vibrator tumbler is still going strong after 21 years. I once forgot it and it ran for four days.

375RUGER
04-17-2012, 10:36 AM
sent you a pm

parrott1969
04-17-2012, 11:06 AM
I recently purchased the Smart Reloader 747 jumbo tumbler. It worked for a week of heavy usage and then the screws that hold the motor fell out. This caused the motor mount to break. Smart reloader sent me a replacement within 3 days of getting my warranty claim. The new one is working fine. However, I did pull it apart and place locktite and nuts on the screws that hold the motor. So far, so good. It runs for several hours everyday.

Mal Paso
04-17-2012, 11:18 AM
I know the folks at Berry's Manufacturing pretty well. (Their tumbler is great, BTW. They make them in several colors so other companies can paste their own labels on them. Hint.)

The guys at Berry's tell me that those Smart Reloader (and also Harbor Freight) tumblers save a whole nickel by leaving out a thermal fuse. That saved nickel has resulted in a lot of tumblers catching fire. Go to bed some night with the tumbler running out in the garage and think about THAT a while.

There isn't any "Thermal Fuse" in my RCBS Tumbler. The motor windings limit the current to 3/4 of an Amp so it won't get any hotter than a 100 Watt Incandescent Bulb. The motor windings are tiny wires that would most likely fail first. Bearing failure is most likely, causing the motor shaft seize.

I'm sure Barry's makes a better tumbler but I take points off for spreading fear.

45-70 Chevroner
04-17-2012, 12:13 PM
SmartReloader's business plan is to infringe on patents of respected American companies and duplicate them cheaply in China and sell them to cheapskate Wal*Mart mentality reloaders.
The warranty is basically none. The quality is basically none.
For the price of the 787 tumbler I can buy a Berry's or Cabela's and have one that will run for freaking ever. I'd rather run multiple Berry's & Cabela's tumblers than one SR787...I seriously looked at the SR787 because I tumble a hundred thousand pieces of brass a year. I didn't buy one. I won't buy them. That's my opinion.

I just couldn't leave this one alone!!!!

I suppose that you never go to Walmart and I am sure that you never buy anything made in china. Enough said.

parrott1969
04-17-2012, 12:40 PM
Rocky Raab might want to check Dillon tumbler reviews. They also have problems with their motors dieing. As far as the patent issue goes, I believe that it has expired. Even if it has not, its no different than Dillon coping Lee's powder measure or Lee stealing Pat Marlins lock dock idea. Oh and by the way, Dillon motors are made in Japan.

milprileb
04-17-2012, 10:36 PM
Smart Reloader has a trail of tears, I would not go that way.
I am one of the owners of a green color (Cabellas label) Berrys MFG tumbler now 4 yrs
running like a race car and its a impressive unit.

My Dillon 650 powder measure is as good as my Lee Pro measure. I have tool heads with both measures mounted: The Lee works just fine, The Dillon is no better

milprileb
04-18-2012, 09:23 AM
I would like to add this: I have 1.5 yrs now using the Lee Pro measure on tool heads : one for a Dillon 650 press for 45acp and one on a Lee Turret press for 9mm. I can see zero need for me to pursue any other measure for this mission. While I do have a tool head with Dillon measure (it came with the press) for another 45acp loading, I gain nothing in performance with the Dillon that the Lee does not duplicate.

The only down side to Lee is that adjustable charge bar is a ***. THe disks work fine. THe Adj charge bar is a waste of money. Powders that don't measure well in the Lee don't measure well in the Dillon measure.

Same powders don't meter well in my Ohaus measure , Pacific/Hornady measure either.

End of story: If a Dillon measure works for you , then a Lee will duplicate that performance from my experience using one of a progressive and a turret press.

beex215
04-18-2012, 10:44 PM
ill test and report when i can on this tumbler

buck1
04-19-2012, 01:17 PM
Smart reloader stuff is below bottom of the barrel in quality. I wrote a letter to Midsouth scolding them for selling such pure junk.

Texas Gun
01-03-2022, 08:28 PM
Well I have a sr787 when I receive mine the cord was not Connected I connected it and been using it for 10 years now I got mine off eBay can you still get them

Bloodman14
01-04-2022, 01:45 AM
In another thread on this same subject, I mentioned that I bought a Harbor Freight tumbler just to try out. Big, high capacity bowl with a robust motor. Have tumbled several hundred cases in different calibers, and still going strong. Bought the green pyramid tumbling media they sell just to try; needs to be a finer grit (have informed them of same). No problems, so far. I am impressed. The SR787 finally died a couple of years ago (bearing issue).

mdi
01-04-2022, 01:39 PM
In another thread on this same subject, I mentioned that I bought a Harbor Freight tumbler just to try out. Big, high capacity bowl with a robust motor. Have tumbled several hundred cases in different calibers, and still going strong. Bought the green pyramid tumbling media they sell just to try; needs to be a finer grit (have informed them of same). No problems, so far. I am impressed. The SR787 finally died a couple of years ago (bearing issue).
Try mixing the hard resin pyramids in with corn cob media. The hard resin speeds up the cleaning, but leaves a matte finish. Adding hard media to cob cleans fast but leaves a shinier finish (I use 10%-20% resin to cob). I have used the hard resin for tumbling (rotary) rusty tools, parts, etc. Very agressive and woks great, for what in made for; cleaning, deburring, not shining...

Bloodman14
01-05-2022, 05:29 PM
I should have said 'finer granulation', because in it's current size it can work its' way into a .30 caliber case and is a booger to get out!

mdi
01-06-2022, 05:12 PM
Hmmm. Youn have a different media than I. The media I mix with my corn cob is this one; https://www.harborfreight.com/520-lb-rust-cutting-resin-abrasive-tumbler-media-63672.html Gets stuck in 9mm, 38/357, but too big for 30 cal...

Bloodman14
01-06-2022, 05:45 PM
mdi, that is exactly what I have, and it does indeed work into my .303's, .30-30's and x39's all the time. It manages to get the 'angle' just right and in it goes!