PDA

View Full Version : Lodge cast iron wedge pan

cheese1566
04-15-2012, 08:43 AM
Anyone use one of these for an ingot mold?
Lodge cast iron wedge pan.
I see a lot of guys using the cornbread pans, but think these would stack nicely and have twice as many ingots per pour verses the Lyman or RCBS ingot molds.

cheese1566
04-15-2012, 08:47 AM
I just found this thread an extensive search...:oops:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=46704

shadowcaster
04-15-2012, 05:45 PM
Anyone use one of these for an ingot mold?
Lodge cast iron wedge pan.
I see a lot of guys using the cornbread pans, but think these would stack nicely and have twice as many ingots per pour verses the Lyman or RCBS ingot molds.

I use them and they work great! They weigh in at around 2 pounds each and stack up nicely. To see pics check out this link

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=146065

Shad

Lloyd Smale
04-16-2012, 04:42 AM
Id hate to waste something as good as lodge cast. Muffin tins work just fine for me.

WILCO
04-16-2012, 04:52 AM
Id hate to waste something as good as lodge cast. Muffin tins work just fine for me.

Same here. Good cast iron for lead is a shame. :(

boltons75
04-16-2012, 06:42 AM
Just got one for 3 bucks at goodwill.

Always carry, never tell.

cheese1566
04-16-2012, 09:05 AM
My WalMart had them on clearance for $9.
I bought two of the four yesterday. Last night we made cornbread in them and the she liked how they popped out and were easy to serve. Looks like they gotta stay in the kitchen!
(But I may go get the other two at lunch today....but my stockpile of mini-muffin ingot pans are workinig just fine for ingots.)

gbrown
04-16-2012, 12:15 PM
I respect old cast iron, as well. Have a lot of it. I like to use the corn molds--the ones shaped like a half ear of corn--wouldn't mess up a good, usable one, but the ones I have were all rusted out. Filled them full of Evapo Rust until all rust gone. Sprayed with Kroil. I think they have 7 cavities each. Makes fantastic ingots. A lot faster than the Lyman or Lee molds. Work well in small bottom pour Lee pots I have. My other mold is an old money till drawer insert of aluminum. Makes big 3#/2.5#/2# ingots 2.5 X 3 inch. I smelt raw stuff and pour into them and then re-smelt to work up an alloy and pour into corn molds.

Le Loup Solitaire
04-16-2012, 01:03 PM
Several different sources for cast iron molds to be used for ingots are available. The ones marked Griswold, Wagner, or Wapak are considered as collectible and bring good prices on the market. Some models are rare and the stakes are much higher. Lodge is the only remaining manufacturer of cast iron in the US and their inventory is impressive. The finish on them is a bit grainy compared to the polished cookware of yesteryear, but if you like it smoother you can get it better by the application of 320 to 400 grit black sandpaper, elbow grease and patience. There is also a lot of knock off stuff from China around usually marked "Taiwan" or simply USA and using that for ingots is ok...its pretty low in cost, does the job and that's that. A couple of other foundries have turned out molds for baking over the years; a common one is marked "John Wright"....usually many forms including sea shells, animals, fruits & vegetables. They all work as well as any other cast iron mold, but although they are pretty they do not tend to stack well which is a consideration of folks who do not have a lot of space to store them. There is a concern that once a cast iron utensil/vessel is used to mold lead, then it is dangerous to use it again for cooking or baking. However it is possible to clean it thoroughly so that it can again become safe & serviceable. LLS

gbrown
04-16-2012, 10:40 PM
+1 with Le Loup Solitaire. Most of mine are Griswold and Wagner with a couple of Lodge. I have spent many an hour re-conditioning some. I still have about 6 pieces to do. About 20-40 hours of work, unless I can come up with another way. Steel brushes and elbow grease. I may use Evapo-Rust, which I think very highly of. At $28.00/gallon or so, may be too pricey. Probably just elbow grease--cheap. Some of mine I found at the curbside. Some at estate/garage sales. Three or four from my parents. 2 purchased off Ebay. Look there and see what some of this stuff is going for.

selmerfan
04-19-2012, 09:21 AM
I use a "pie" mold for my pure lead ingots. They work okay, but have one drawback - the sides are NOT tapered, and the ingots don't slide out quite as nicely as they could. But since I poured lead into it, I keep using it.