PDA

View Full Version : Lube gumming up chamber

buffdriver
04-14-2012, 07:46 PM
I had a problem at the range today with lube gumming up the chamber of my Springfield XD 45. It became so bad that the slide would not go into battery and I was unable to continue shooting. Here's some background.

I started casting with tumble lube bullet designs. Somewhere along the way, I acquired a Star Lubesizer and began to run my tumble lube bullets through the Star. Everthing was working well until recently, when I began casting with the Lee 452-200-SWC, which features a single lube groove. These are the bullets that I was shooting when the chambering problems occurred today. When I ejected the rounds that failed to chamber, they had a solid layer of blackened lube around the entire diameter of the case from the mouth extending about 1/3 of the way to the rim.

My load is 4.8 grains of W-231. It's a light and comfortable target load. My lube of choice has been Lars Carnuba Red.

Will it be necessary to increase the powder charge to avoid this lube residue?

I would appreciate any advice you all can give. Thanks!

BuffDriver

runfiverun
04-14-2012, 08:38 PM
bump it up to 5 or so.

Tango2020
04-14-2012, 09:51 PM
I had the exact same issue with my XDM .40 and Walther PPQ. Believe it or not what solved the problem was to put more crimp on the rounds. They would drop into the chamber just fine before hand but would gum things up and not go into battery after a few rounds.

I use a taper crimp die as a separate step however the Lee FCD will put a stop to the gum issue.

I hope it works for you.

243winxb
04-15-2012, 11:14 AM
Change to 50/50 Alox & Bees Wax.

yovinny
04-15-2012, 12:13 PM
+1 on uping charge and/or better taper crimp.
Dirty lube on fired case sounds like low pressure, brass isent expanding.

I did'nt have much luck with 231 and cast in the 45acp.
I found switching to faster Bullseye powder gave me much better results.

buffdriver
04-15-2012, 06:31 PM
Thanks for the advice. I think that I will begin by trying a slightly stouter load, around 5.0 grains of W-231 and see if the case seals up better. I'm already crimping, though if raising the powder doesn't solve the issue, I will try increasing the crimp.

I made the classic mistake: changed more than one thing at time. This was my first session with the Springfield XDm, and also the first session with this type bullet. To eliminate the gun as a source of the problem, I will also try firing some rounds in my trusted 1911 and see if the same problems occur there.

Cherokee
04-15-2012, 07:45 PM
I use 4.6 gr 231 and the Lee 452-230TC one lube groove with Lars CR @ .452 in all my 45 ACP 1911's and Taurus OSS without any such problem. I crimp to .470"

buffdriver
04-15-2012, 08:41 PM
243winxb,

Great photos! I looked through every one and learned a lot. Thanks for the links.

buffdriver
04-15-2012, 09:30 PM
@Cherokee: My crimp measures .472, so I suppose there is room for some additional crimp here.

For now, my first step is to see if the condition repeats itself with my 1911.

geargnasher
04-15-2012, 09:39 PM
bump it up to 5 or so.

Yes, absolutely.

Change to 50/50 Alox & Bees Wax.

Yes again, CR can get gummy unless you're pushing it to the pressures it's designed for and getting better case expansion/seal. Softer lubes with a lower melt point do better in low pressure cases, especially low-pressure cases that are loaded down to begin with.

+1 on uping charge and/or better taper crimp.
Dirty lube on fired case sounds like low pressure, brass isent expanding.

I did'nt have much luck with 231 and cast in the 45acp.
I found switching to faster Bullseye powder gave me much better results.

For light loads and light boolits, BE, Titegroup, Clays, and Red Dot have all been good for case sealing and super-clean loads. I like 231/HP38 for warmer 230-grainers where Unique/Universal tend to be dirty and a tad slow.

As far as crimp goes, I don't crimp .45 ACP, there's no need. I roll the flare out of the case mouth just enough to allow them to chamber reliably, which sometimes leaves a tiny bit of bellmouth, sometimes leaves the mouth straight, depends on the brass and boolit size. There's no need to turn the mouth in unless your chamber is really tight at the front.

Gear

runfiverun
04-15-2012, 11:18 PM
Yes again, CR can get gummy unless you're pushing it to the pressures it's designed for and getting better case expansion/seal. Softer lubes with a lower melt point do better in low pressure cases, especially low-pressure cases that are loaded down to begin with.

As far as crimp goes, I don't crimp .45 ACP, there's no need. I roll the flare out of the case mouth just enough to allow them to chamber reliably, which sometimes leaves a tiny bit of bellmouth, sometimes leaves the mouth straight, depends on the brass and boolit size. There's no need to turn the mouth in unless your chamber is really tight at the front.

Gear

thought you weren't learning anything from the lube quest..:lol:
ditto the crimp comment, you start damaging the boolit when you get agressive with the crimp.

geargnasher
04-16-2012, 03:26 AM
The Lube Quest is making me wonder more and more how any of this can work at all! Maybe that's just my brain turning more and more into mush......:redneck:

Gear