PDA

View Full Version : 2000 Chevy Silverado - Problem, too reliable

Fishman
04-13-2012, 10:34 PM
My truck is twelve years old with well over 200k on the odometer and the problem is that it just keeps running. I mean, at some point a guy needs a new truck, but with this one, who knows when that will be? Darn it, I'm kinda getting attached to it. Anyone else have this problem?

cast405
04-13-2012, 10:42 PM
Love my 2000 chevy, just one issue the frame cracked both sides ahead of front spring shackles(rusted out) I get to go shopping!!maybe the new Ford v6 ecoboost

runfiverun
04-14-2012, 12:11 AM
i had a 98 k-1500 3 door with 195,000 on it, when i traded it in for my mustang.
i got it with 110k on it and replaced the front brakes,the inside door handle,the alternator,spark plugs.
and the radiator [which i cracked while driving it someplace it didn't need to be]
i miss that truck.
i have been looking for something similar to trade the jeep in on.

Beagler
04-14-2012, 12:16 AM
Get ready to run midgrade or high test. Father-in-law got a ford ecopoop. Has had it back to dealer over five time for various engine problems. His must have been built on a friday :smile:
Love my 2000 chevy, just one issue the frame cracked both sides ahead of front spring shackles(rusted out) I get to go shopping!!maybe the new Ford v6 ecoboost

Reg
04-14-2012, 12:30 AM
Bought a brand spanking new 1970 C-10 back in November of 1969. Must be a pup as it only has 186,000 on it. Did have to go through the motor about 10,000 miles ago. Just don't get quality anymore.
Oh yes. it's parked out back, needs a bath but it starts with the first bump of the starter.

;-)

zxcvbob
04-14-2012, 12:36 AM
I had a 1976 Chevy C20 like that. Wife finally talked me into getting rid of it in 2000 because the floorboards were rusted completely through. (it still ran great, had a strong transmission, and good 10 ply tires.) I have no idea how many miles it had because the odometer didn't work.

I still miss that truck. I like my 2001 Chevy half-ton, but it doesn't have the character of that old one.

I would hate to have to buy 9.50R16.5LT tires now. They were getting hard to find 15 years ago.

geargnasher
04-14-2012, 01:26 AM
Yep, got a 2K silverado with 164,000 on the ticker, had to replace the AC cycling switch, plugs, wires, battery, belts, flush the coolant, trans, diff, do the rear brakes, park brake shoes, and about five front hub-bearings, two sets of tires, air filters, gas, oil/filters, and wiper blades. Pretty sure that's about it, it's been a good truck even if it's made out of recycled beer cans. Funny, I haven't had to replace the plastic intake and gaskets, water pump, alternator, fuel pump, radiator, idler arm, or either belt tensioner yet, and those are the "pattern failures" for this model. Knock on wood.

Gear

Lloyd Smale
04-14-2012, 05:04 AM
that old 5.7 was a great motor. My buddys old truck went 300000 before the freeze plug on the block actually rusted out. The rest of the truck was so rusty he figured it was time to put it to rest. STill only used about a quart of oil ever 3000. My 06 used that much new! I wish they wouldnt have changed to the 5.3. its not as good of a motor and although it puts out more horsepower it puts out less torque and in a pickup torque is what you want.

FISH4BUGS
04-14-2012, 07:00 AM
My 1987 Mercedes 300d diesel has 342,000 on it, is my daily driver, and doesn't burn a drop of oil. I have owned it since 110,000 miles, and have kept it up perfectly. I have all the service records and keep a service log in the glove box.
I am fanatical about oil changes (the key to keeping an engine alive) and I start having an anxiety attack when it gets to be 3001 miles on the oil and it needs to be changed.
I have been driving Mercedes diesels for 30 years and get an average 400,000 out of each one, and the bodies go away before the drive train does.
Great cars those MB diesels.
In fact, my license plates are DZLFUEL.

Olevern
04-14-2012, 07:45 AM
Gotta 1995 Chev 1500 4wd 350 v8 that's got well over 300,000 miles on it. Runs great, rides down the road so smooth that I have to use the cruise control or really keep an eye on the speedo to keep within the speed limits. Don't use it too much these days 'cause of the gas prices, but when I need to use my larger trailer it's pull out the v8 time.

Right now it needs an exhaust manifold 'cause I foolishly let a local garage do plugs and wires and they got the wires switched. When I drove it away it wasn't running as well as it was when it went in, then, about a half mile from the shop I got a huge backfire. Drove it back and mechanic switched the wires back, but damage was already done. A couple of weeks later took it in for inspection, found the six month old exhaust system with a blown out seam in the muffler and a cracked exhaust manifold. Of course, the local garage said they were not responsible for the damage, so I got a very expensive lesson on doing my own work. Replaced the muffler but have as yet not gotten the energy to tackle the exhaust manifold.

Will have to get it fixed soon, as I got a bunch of boys bugging me to go riding and will need to haul the trailer to the motocross track.

Blammer
04-14-2012, 09:33 AM
just drive it into a tree once in a while, that will fix it

or better yet, let your wife drive it

Freightman
04-14-2012, 09:47 AM
Got a '89 Ford F250 and I keep saying I am going to get another, but one just like it equipment wise is $40,000 +. It always starts never gives any trouble and will work with the best of them and I am not afraid to get a scratch on it. O- well I didn,t need a new one anyhow.

alleyoop
04-14-2012, 10:02 AM
Get ready to run midgrade or high test. Father-in-law got a ford ecopoop. Has had it back to dealer over five time for various engine problems. His must have been built on a friday :smile:

There is something to the Friday thing I work for a manufacture and attendance on Friday and Monday stinks try to get one built on a Tuesday or Wednesday

BD
04-14-2012, 08:05 PM
I just junked my 1993 2500 HD plow truck. 300,000 on the drive train, but only 30,000 on the motor. 16 years of plowing without letting me down, but the rust eventually ate it. I was surprised no one wanted the low mileage 5.7, but apparently that throttle body fuel injection is not compatible with much of anything newer.

Jammer Six
04-14-2012, 08:53 PM
I had the same problem with a '69. I ended up finally trading it in on my 2002.

You have a while to go.

People who like to buy new trucks buy Fords. :D

04-14-2012, 11:36 PM
Identical problem! I have a 2000 Silverado. Bought it used in 2001. Never had a single thing break. Still has the original brakes and clutch. Unreal- I might just have drive it til the wheels fall off. :shock:

10x
04-15-2012, 12:46 PM
My 1994 Chev full sized beauville van has 200,000 miles on it and can run for 3000 miles before the oil starts to get dark.
My kids 2006 Chev Safari van turned into a money pit for electrical, body, and door issues. within months of going off warranty. Great mileage, great power, but the body work, fit and finish, and noise dampening was extremely poor.
Oh and the rear AC lines cost $3000 to replace with factory.
The Side door hinges replacement cost was $3800. They only last about 3 years even with constant lubrication. Why would Chev weld the door hinges to the door and only sell the hinges complete with door from the dealer?

BTW: I don't think you can drive a chev until the wheels fall off so long as you service them and do average maintance as needed. The only way the wheels would fall off is if you did not tighten the lug nuts.
BTW: I have had a dodge wheel issue while still on warranty. The passenger front wheel bearing did not get lubed at the factory. About 14,000 miles the bearing piled up and the heat welded the castle nut to the spindle.

merlin101
04-15-2012, 01:44 PM
Iran my old 1984 Chevy pu till it had a tad over 400,000 on it. By that time the engine (6.2 desiel) it was getting pretty rusty and was leaking oil. I had an accident with it and decided to replace the ole girl so I upgraded to a 1986 :mrgreen: that now has only 96k on it, I'm good for another 10 years!:drinks:

mhat
04-15-2012, 03:14 PM
I've got an 05 Silverado with 150,000 on it. I've put front break pads on once, water pump gaskets and a set of shocks a few sets of windshield wipers. It's got dual exhust and a K&N cold air intake. Still runs and rides great. It's hard to beat a Chevy truck.
Mark

GaryN
04-15-2012, 03:23 PM
"People who like to buy new trucks buy Fords."

My last Ford had 349,000 on it. Never did anything to the engine. Just changed the fluids regularly. My current Ford had 243,000 on it. And it still runs fine.

Fishman
04-15-2012, 06:13 PM
:). Not trying to start a brand war here. :). I like stories of vehicles lasting far beyond what they are "supposed to".

GabbyM
04-16-2012, 12:20 AM
:). Not trying to start a brand war here. :). I like stories of vehicles lasting far beyond what they are "supposed to".

Not sure who says how long they last.

Look up fleet vehicles. They generally run half million miles on a light truck chassis.
Then sell them. As long as you keep them away from the quick service bays they last as long as the chassis avoids a sudden impact in most cases.

Gear lube in differentials or manual transmission boxes generally is good for 135,000 miles or five years.

I sold my 1989 Chevy half ton in 2004 in order to replace it with a high MPG commuter sedan. Still see it o the road and expect it will last as long from the date I sold it as most new vehicles. It had 189,000 miles on it and an automatic transmission but mechanically it was in better shape than a two day old pickup after a teenager had it out with a full tank of gas and a twelve pack of beer. In other words they can last thirty years or they can last one night.

10x
04-16-2012, 08:41 AM
Not sure who says how long they last.

Look up fleet vehicles. They generally run half million miles on a light truck chassis.
Then sell them. As long as you keep them away from the quick service bays they last as long as the chassis avoids a sudden impact in most cases.

Gear lube in differentials or manual transmission boxes generally is good for 135,000 miles or five years.
snip

t.

Much depends on road conditions and where the trucks are being run.
Here in Northern Alberta the service life of a fleet vehicle is about two to three years. Depending on the area they are used in the suspension is bagged and the vehicle is "shook" from rough roads.

I can keep a vehicle alive for over 200,000 miles by doing maint and repairs as required. The only vehicle that cost me in excess repairs was a 98 ford ranger that I purchased new.

And the only reason I will replace a vehicle is if 1) the body is falling apart or 2) the cost of the repair is 2X the value of the vehicle.
On my 94 chev I would not get the value of the tires if I went to sell it. However I would still put $2000 into it in a year to keep it on the road.

mold maker
04-17-2012, 12:21 PM
I finally traded my 73 Suburban with over 300,000 on it, in "03. Bet this one wont make it that long.
Don't matter though, cause I doubt if I'll make it another 20 years.
My Son still has my Dad's 73 Chevy pickup, and plans to give it to his Son, in a few more years.
If ya treat em right, they will last.

zt77
04-17-2012, 04:08 PM
Got a '02 duramax with 206k. Has had efilive, stage 5 ppe tranny, airdog II 165 gph, and the little things that dont help as much like intake, exhaust, boost valve, etc,... Since 168k. Nearly 40k miles on a tune that puts over 550 hp to the wheels and I've yet to get a bad oil analysis back yet! I use amsoil from bumper to bumper with a bypass filtration kit. Oil change intervals are 25,000 miles, oil is analyzed every 7500 until the 25k mark.

ubetcha
04-17-2012, 08:34 PM
Before you attempt to replace the exhaust manifold ,stop at a Napa or Car Quest or most any parts stores and get two exhaust manifold spreaders if you think you may reuse an old manifold.When an old manifold is removed they tend to collapse enough that the bolt holes will not line up again.With a new manifold,you should be alright.
Gotta 1995 Chev 1500 4wd 350 v8 that's got well over 300,000 miles on it. Runs great, rides down the road so smooth that I have to use the cruise control or really keep an eye on the speedo to keep within the speed limits. Don't use it too much these days 'cause of the gas prices, but when I need to use my larger trailer it's pull out the v8 time.

Right now it needs an exhaust manifold 'cause I foolishly let a local garage do plugs and wires and they got the wires switched. When I drove it away it wasn't running as well as it was when it went in, then, about a half mile from the shop I got a huge backfire. Drove it back and mechanic switched the wires back, but damage was already done. A couple of weeks later took it in for inspection, found the six month old exhaust system with a blown out seam in the muffler and a cracked exhaust manifold. Of course, the local garage said they were not responsible for the damage, so I got a very expensive lesson on doing my own work. Replaced the muffler but have as yet not gotten the energy to tackle the exhaust manifold.

Will have to get it fixed soon, as I got a bunch of boys bugging me to go riding and will need to haul the trailer to the motocross track.

Lloyd Smale
04-18-2012, 04:53 AM
my buddy who has the local auto repair shop has a simular truck. His has got a bull dog programer and a modified tranny. He had to because he burned the clutchs up in the stock one. that truck is fricking amazing. quickest truck i ever drove in my life. It will absolutely fry the tires and there 35 inch tires!!!!! hes got a 120000 on it now and other then that trany its been completely trouble free. If i were a younger man and still was working so i had money to burn id have one in a second! 50k for a truck and 10k into it is way out of my league anymore though!
Got a '02 duramax with 206k. Has had efilive, stage 5 ppe tranny, airdog II 165 gph, and the little things that dont help as much like intake, exhaust, boost valve, etc,... Since 168k. Nearly 40k miles on a tune that puts over 550 hp to the wheels and I've yet to get a bad oil analysis back yet! I use amsoil from bumper to bumper with a bypass filtration kit. Oil change intervals are 25,000 miles, oil is analyzed every 7500 until the 25k mark.

3006guns
04-18-2012, 01:17 PM
I could relate the story of my new 1977 GMC again, but it would be pointless. Suffice to say GMC lost a future customer and you couldn't GIVE me another GMC product. You know that old advertising slogan......."85% of old Chevys are still on the road. The other 15% managed to make it back to the house." Nope, they burned their bridges with me on that one....

I bought a used 1989 Ford F150 with a 300 six and four speed that lasted until 2003 when I bought a new F150. I still see my old pickup around town, doin' just fine. As much as I like the new truck I kinda miss my old girl.......sigh.:-?