PDA

View Full Version : Last act of desperation........

Just Duke
04-13-2012, 09:18 PM
:violin: Anyone been this desperate?

Enter [smilie=w:
http://www.magnifiercity.com/bauschandlomb81-42-00magnavisormagnifyingvisor.aspx

SciFiJim
04-13-2012, 10:34 PM
I use one similar to that for detail work with small parts. Sometimes my bifocals just aren't enough.

docone31
04-13-2012, 10:41 PM
These are my favorites,
http://www.stuller.com/products/29-7701/?groupId=17027
I wear them all day long. When I need them, they are there! I can then tip them up to see more than 10" away.
Light enough to wear all day, which I do.

wallenba
04-13-2012, 10:45 PM
Yes...today in fact. I crammed a jewelers loupe in my eye socket to see why I could not find the hole in a micro-sized set screw. Because the last time I used it I must have snapped the end off the hex wrench. It's stuck in there, deep down in the hole.

Longwood
04-13-2012, 10:57 PM
I bought two different models at Harbor Freight.
They seem ok but I have not tried them very much yet.
They both have multiple magnification options.
Cheap at twice the price, so I got one of each.

casterofboolits
04-13-2012, 11:26 PM
I have a set I use for working on plastic models.

runfiverun
04-14-2012, 12:04 AM
i wonder if they would magnify a scope?

Jim Flinchbaugh
04-14-2012, 01:18 AM
I have the Optivisor brand, love em

nicholst55
04-14-2012, 01:22 AM
I have the Optivisor brand, love em

+1; Been using one for several years.

Just Duke
04-14-2012, 02:02 AM
I'm going to order one. I could do checkering and tie fly's again if I wanted to.

Blacksmith
04-14-2012, 03:48 AM
I've been desperate for years. Good lighting also helps.

MtGun44
04-14-2012, 04:01 AM
Why do you say desparate? Just good tools.

I have used Optivisor 10X for many years, and often use 3x or 7x jewler's loupe. You can't
work on it if you can't see it properly. I am nearsighted so can see at 1x close up
well, but for trigger jobs especially, if you aren't using magnification, you will not do
a good job.

Bill

missionary5155
04-14-2012, 04:22 AM
Good morning
Been working on pocket watches for 20 years + and been using a 3x visor with 10x rotate out of the way loops. Use the visor for all my gun projects and numerous other items that come up. I am blessed with better than 20-20 in my right eye but under 12 inches I cannot read anything.
Mike in Peru

Blammer
04-14-2012, 09:35 AM
yep, very helpful

Charlie Two Tracks
04-14-2012, 09:42 AM
I have a magnifying lens that has a fluorescent light around it. It is used for tying flies. It has an arm that you can move around where you need it. Works great and folds back out of the way.

Wolfer
04-14-2012, 09:53 AM
I have reading glasses but sometimes their not enough for tiny work like triggers,etc. so when needed I wear two pair. It doubles the power but you can't see more than a few inches. I also wear a headlamp to cut down on shadows and glare. It suks to get old but I don't like the alternative.

Longwood
04-14-2012, 11:31 AM
Walmart has a small adjustable desk lamp with the arms and springs that has a big LED in it that puts a lot of light where-ever it is needed.
Looking at it, it would be pretty easy to make a bracket to use the lenses from a cheap Harbor Freight hood type magnifier to improve it drastically.
The base is way too big for a work bench so I took it off and drilled a half inch hole in a small piece of aluminum plate for mounting and now I can clamp it where ever I need to mount it. A half inch hole in the corner of the bench top or a shelf works good too.
The light is $20.

Jim Flinchbaugh
04-15-2012, 01:07 AM
I have a magnifying lens that has a fluorescent light around it.

I have one of those too, you know your really desperate when you use 'em both at the same time, which I have done! :veryconfu

Valley Forge
04-15-2012, 11:07 AM
Youbetcha, helps me a lot.

stubshaft
04-16-2012, 06:49 AM
Got one too, as I get older the parts get fuzzier and smaller.

slide
04-16-2012, 07:13 AM
I don't use one but,it is getting to the point that I need one.

Flinchrock
04-16-2012, 08:58 AM
I couldn't figure out the "desperate" part either.
Being a machinist, I have used "optical assistance" for forty years.
Ask jewelers if they feel "desperate".

I guess it depends on if you want to see what you are doing.

captaint
04-16-2012, 11:40 AM
Sure, I use one of them for tying flies - always.... Pretty soon, I'll need one to eat. Mike

Longwood
04-16-2012, 12:25 PM
Pretty soon, I'll need one to eat. Mike

Restaurant food looks better with out them.:-|

gandydancer
04-16-2012, 12:55 PM
Yep. been there and still doing it. Now if I could just find a new body for my self that did not hurt when I move I'd be all set. The Golden years. BULL. The alternative not so good. GD

wallenba
04-16-2012, 01:05 PM
I've been desperate for years. Good lighting also helps.

Yes! My workbench lighting looks adequate to a casual observer, but for me it's lousy. When you are far sighted and have an astigmatism and different prescription in each eye, everything is hard. Working with a tiny black 6-48 screw in a black ramp on a black barrel, a slight shadow means not being able to see the slot in the screw.
What I need is a lamp that has a base that is out of the way, can reach any where, and won't give me a tan.
I suffer from 'dry eye' too. That makes things blurry at times.

Longwood
04-16-2012, 01:43 PM
What I need is a lamp that has a base that is out of the way, can reach any where, and won't give me a tan.

The little lamps I got at Walmart are pretty nice after I round filed the big base and drilled some small plates to use for clamping them where I need them with little 'Pony' clamps.
They are the type with the arms and springs that are so common, but they are smaller. It is only about 24" tall at it's max height but it will reach out about 20" from the new mount I made, or from a 1/2" hole drilled in a shelf or bench.

The lamp is called the, bright on desk lamp, your zone, with no capital letters. ???

The lamp has a C6060 LED that has 16 high intensity emitters that I suspect is a Cree, and a nice rounded magnifying lens, so it is pretty nice for lighting a desk or area of a bench.
I have two on my bench and one on my computer desk.

My night vision has really deteriorated and I need lots of light coming from many directions to avoid shadows.

I am working on a overhead light that uses several of the high intensity Cree or Luxion LED's which will be powered with an old cell phone charger.
I have a lot of standard LED's mounted overhead now but they don't put out enough light at any distance so for now, I supplement them with a 150 watt fluorescent grow bulb.

wallenba
04-17-2012, 11:37 AM
Longwood, thanks for the ideas. My first inclination was to get a wire strung across the bench that I could hang one of those short fluorescent work lamps that have a hook on them. I could then just slide it around. But then, anything above my head justs casts a shadow from my head. Got to make something small like those LED's of yours.

mold maker
04-17-2012, 12:06 PM
I've been using the Optiviser for near 50 years. Gem stone cutting, and fine detail wood carving, demand it. They are in 5, 7, and 10X, with the little flip down added single lens.
The wife uses one to paint porcelain dolls.

shdwlkr
04-17-2012, 01:06 PM
Duke
So far things up close are ok it is the things that are not so close that drive me nuts these days.

wallenba
04-19-2012, 11:20 PM
Duke
So far things up close are ok it is the things that are not so close that drive me nuts these days.

If you have not done it, get checked for cataracts. Mine came on so slow and gradual, I did not notice it happening. Since they have been removed, I can now see the individual leaves on trees in the distance.

Firebricker
04-22-2012, 06:11 PM
Duke, I know your eyes have been getting worse lately but been praying that the docs can at least get them stable for you. Hang in there buddy. FB

Just Duke
04-23-2012, 02:33 AM
Duke, I know your eyes have been getting worse lately but been praying that the docs can at least get them stable for you. Hang in there buddy. FB

Thanks all for your concern.
We have friends that are eye doctors we see at parties. Them and there wives took me into one of the empty rooms at the party and all three checked me out. They are really nice fellas but I'll get my surgery done when I get back up north as there are many a follow up visits. The Vegas medical community leaves a lot to be desired here unless your talking about breast augmentations or something. Right now I'm in mecca for premium plastic surgeons. Eye surgery and plastic and different as night and day. Portland and Spokane are the better choice for me.

Artful
04-29-2012, 10:42 AM
Good luck with your eye's - my wife uses magnifier for jewelry making but I just have to take off my glasses being near sighted.