PDA

View Full Version : What do you use

Frank46
07-02-2005, 03:25 AM
Greetings all. Ok what do you use to hump all your shooting stuff to and from the range and at home. I'm not talking about pickups but the various boxes,bags, cartons, or other carrying media. I myself used to use a lilspec instrument carrying case but when it hit 85lbs streamilned what went to the range. Now its one of those tubs or tool gizmos with wheels and a handle.
Frank

Bret4207
07-02-2005, 07:10 AM
Sheetrock buckets and a couple of those square cat littler buckets. Nothin fancy around here.

Buckshot
07-02-2005, 07:26 AM
............I have a medium large yellow plastic toolbox with a liftout tray as a rangebox. It goes regardless what I'm going to be shooting. It contains the spotting scope, tools, Excedrin, anti-acid, misc sight inserts, muffs, and spare chrono batteries. All excep tthe scope is in the tray. Underneath is the scope and enough room for several 20 rnd ammo boxes or 3, 50 round ammo boxes (rifle) or maybe 6, 50 round pistol ammo boxes.

For BP I have a similar, but smaller one.

If a lot of pistol stuff is to be done (way seldom) I have a nylon bag my wife bought me with lots of pockets and zippers and pouches on it.

Usually when I open the trunk, out comes the yellow toolbox and a couple rifle's in soft cases. There has been a few times where I've threatened to get one of those wheeled granny grocery getters to make the trip from trunk to bench a one shot deal.

http://www.fototime.com/77C4C55BCF39E72/standard.jpg
From where I stood to take the photo is where you park.

...............Buckshot

9.3X62AL
07-02-2005, 08:05 AM
Mostly I use an old Canada Dry wooden box to contain the ammo and related crapola on Range Day. Cleaning stuff goes into an old Craftsman tool box, and the black powder stuff has pretty much outgrown the plastic Brownell's "tackle box" that encloses it.

imashooter2
07-02-2005, 09:24 AM
An equipment bag (like hockey players use) and ammo cans.

NVcurmudgeon
07-02-2005, 12:46 PM
A homemade by my father-in-law Bullsye pisto shooter's box, which doubles as a spotting scope mount, and carries all the little range equipment and cleanikng supplies. Pistols and muffs also go in this box. Ammo goes in a moderate sized tool box that I got from Valvoline for buying a case of oil. I have an old child's sleeping bag to pad the benchtop, or to use as a body pad for sitting and kneeling. When planning on bench shooting, a homemade front rest and rear sandbag are added to the pile. Occasionally, the chronograph, screens mounted on an aluminum angle, and one stand make the trip. One thing I don't expect to add to my equipment is anything with wheels, having seen too many dropped and dinged firearms from other people's handtrucks. I am happier making two or three trips to and from the truck.

Scrounger
07-02-2005, 01:13 PM
A homemade by my father-in-law Bullsye pisto shooter's box, which doubles as a spotting scope mount, and carries all the little range equipment and cleanikng supplies. Pistols and muffs also go in this box. Ammo goes in a moderate sized tool box that I got from Valvoline for buying a case of oil. I have an old child's sleeping bag to pad the benchtop, or to use as a body pad for sitting and kneeling. When planning on bench shooting, a homemade front rest and rear sandbag are added to the pile. Occasionally, the chronograph, screens mounted on an aluminum angle, and one stand make the trip. One thing I don't expect to add to my equipment is anything with wheels, having seen too many dropped and dinged firearms from other people's handtrucks. I am happier making two or three trips to and from the truck.

You should see some of the wheeled vehicles the Cowboy Shooters use to transport their gear. Sturdy, safe and fancy would describe it.

waksupi
07-02-2005, 01:30 PM
One thing I see that has been left out of the shooting gear. Elbow pads. Good for both benchrest, and prone rifle shooting.

The Nyack Kid
07-02-2005, 08:51 PM
hahaha my reloading shed is a 12 by 24 foot cabin .my one hundred yard shooting range is right out the back window . :grin: I have a wooden stand for the cronograph ten feet away my extended randge is out across the railroad tracks i just take a rifle and loaded ammo box out to test only after i have already worked with the load .

MT Gianni
07-03-2005, 01:14 AM
At my range I usually drive to within 10 feet of which ever bench is open assuming there is anyone else there. Do you guys have to park and haul like a golf course? My little red range box takes most of the stuff and I usually pull out what ever rifle I shoot then it goes back in the truck and the next one comes out. Gianni.

Pop_No_Kick
07-03-2005, 01:30 AM
At my range I usually drive to within 10 feet of which ever bench is open assuming there is anyone else there. Do you guys have to park and haul like a golf course? My little red range box takes most of the stuff and I usually pull out what ever rifle I shoot then it goes back in the truck and the next one comes out. Gianni.

Our Ranges here are in Louisiana are drive up's, The state takes alot of pride
of there ranges..(about the thing) they do keep them up to date.

Chuck

BruceB
07-03-2005, 10:17 AM
Sorry, I HAVE to brag (again).

Go to

www.castpics.net

and check out Der Schuetzenwagen under "Special Projects" Those are early pics, taken during construction and before I added (literally) a ton-and-a-half of gear, tools and ammo. They also don't show the cleaning/gunsmithing bench which I built in place of that second seat against the loading bench.

I really need to post some updated photos, showing some of the features....like a chronograph boom that is adjustable for azimuth and elevation from the seated position at the benchrest, and the speed-cooling system for rifle barrels, and a few other things. It's very cluttered now, but everything has its place and I keep finding more stuff that I "need".

I'd estimate that the van ALWAYS has about a thousand rounds of wildly-assorted ammo on board...not much risk of coming up dry if something needs to be shot.

Newer members will now understand what I'm talking about when I mention Der Whooziwhatsis in my posts.