PDA

View Full Version : best source for Arsenic?

gofastman
04-12-2012, 07:27 PM
I have read the best source is lead shot.

What is better, chilled or magnum shot?
Thanks
:drinks:

wiljen
04-12-2012, 08:04 PM
typically magnum shot. Please also know that while elemental sources of arsenic may be available, it is extremely toxic and you are infinitely safer to work with a lead alloy that contains arsenic.

AndyC
04-14-2012, 02:24 AM
Elderly aunts :D

Oreo
04-14-2012, 07:45 AM
Elderly aunts :DI don't get it.

Hickory
04-14-2012, 07:57 AM
I don't get it.

Arsenic and old lace. The movie.;)

Jamesconn
04-14-2012, 11:21 AM
Keep your head out of your butt and do everything as safe as possible, that said I'd say rat poison.

wiljen
04-14-2012, 11:03 PM
Jamesconn is missing a bet on that one. Rat poison is warfarin, not arsenic and while it works as a blood thinner, it does nothing as a grain refiner.

waksupi
04-15-2012, 01:28 AM
Start up heating any kind of rat poison in your alloy, you better have your will in order. In that organic state, you will be having a very nice funeral. Dress nice, all of your friends and family will be there.
Stay with shot, that is pre-alloyed.

btroj
04-15-2012, 07:50 AM
Shot is the only source I ever even consider. Why mess with anything else?

popper
04-15-2012, 02:47 PM
You can try sulfur.

John Boy
04-15-2012, 04:34 PM
First of all:
* What is the starting hardness of the alloy you have - Brinell Hardness
* What is the ending hardness of the alloy you want - Brinell Hardnes

Arsenic is poison - why expose yourself to it?
Use wheel weights or shot to harden the alloy. WW's usually have 2% antimony

Chilled Shot
(American Standard)
with Equiv. hardness factor of:
2% Antimonial Lead Alloy

High Antimony - Magnum Shot
Lead Shot (American Standard)
with Equiv. hardness factor of:
5% Antimonial Lead Alloy

AndyC
04-16-2012, 03:14 PM
Well, if you'll allow me to be pedantic, there's no such thing as a poison per se - only poisonous quantities of a given substance. Oxygen can be a toxin, so can water - they just take large amounts to have a toxic effect.

Pedantry aside, I wouldn't want to mess around with arsenic either :)

dmize
04-16-2012, 05:05 PM
In defense of the original poster,he did ask which shot to use,not arsenic in general.
And as for me if I even had an inkling as to procuring the stuff I have a feeling a person would be on an immediate watch list of some sort.

gofastman
04-17-2012, 03:45 AM
In defense of the original poster,he did ask which shot to use,not arsenic in general.

thank you.

lets not be stupid here folks :rolleyes:
Why would I be looking for poisonous, pure, inorganic (which is the harmful kind, btw) Arsenic in a lead alloy forum?

Im looking for the best scource of pre-alloyed arsenic for enhancing the heat treating results of my boolets

I'll go with magnum shot, thanks.

Stephen Cohen
04-17-2012, 04:46 AM
As a young lad I was told not to melt lead gathered from old military ranges, as it seems the old 303 ammo had arsenic in the lead alloy used for military projectiles.

wiljen
04-17-2012, 03:17 PM
In all fairness, I did answer the original question, but lest someone uninformed read it and thought "Hey, I know we have that in the HS chem lab", I felt it only prudent to add the warning regarding elemental Arsenic.

dmize
04-17-2012, 10:22 PM
Yes you did wiljen,and in the end your reply wasnt any different than mine. My appologies.

wiljen
04-18-2012, 08:21 AM
No apology needed. Sometimes as a mod, it is wise to answer more than the question as for everyone who posts a question we have 10-15 others that find the answer by reading the previous posts. When there is potential amongst our younger members to make inferences that put them at substantial risk, I always try and explain that in the thread so if it is the only place they look for an answer, they get that information. My somewhat less than perfect attempt at providing a public service ;)

KCSO
04-18-2012, 09:08 AM
Actually arsenic was taken in small amounts as a health measure in the 18th century. The biggest problem with using it to do away with your spouse is that it takes a relativly large quantity to do the job or a long accumulation. I wouldn't use it straight to harden lead but it is one of the safer??? poisonous compounds to handle.

felix
04-18-2012, 09:35 AM
If the smell of garlic is in the casting area, dilute the lead in the pot by 100 percent with another lead from a different source. Keep repeating this, hopefully cutting the arsenic by 50 percent per iteration. ... felix

Oreo
05-16-2012, 03:39 AM
If the smell of garlic is in the casting area, dilute the lead in the pot by 100 percent with another lead from a different source. Keep repeating this, hopefully cutting the arsenic by 50 percent per iteration. ... felix What does the smell of garlic have to do with anything?

wiljen
05-16-2012, 09:54 AM
arsenic has a smell similar to garlic as does tellurium.

05-16-2012, 10:03 AM
Elderly aunts :D

Good one!

05-16-2012, 10:06 AM
Keep your head out of your butt and do everything as safe as possible, that said I'd say rat poison.

WOH!! Seriously? Dude, please continue run these thoughts passed the membership on this forum BEFORE you try them.

a.squibload
05-17-2012, 12:00 AM
If the smell of garlic is in the casting area,...

Be aware that arsenic is not the only possible source
of garlic odor in the casting area.
Well, in MY casting area, anyway. ('scuse me!)