PDA

View Full Version : Glen's Red Container

bootsnthejeep
04-12-2012, 03:35 PM
I quite some time ago warmed to the idea of a Ed's Red variety of solvent for gun cleaning, because I'm as tight as bark on a tree and didn't like the idea of buying my gun solvents when I could make it for a pittance. And as much as I adore the smell of Hoppe's #9, anything that expensive should have a cork and a guy in a cummerbund to dole it out.

Anyway. I landed on the abomination of Ed's known as Glen's Red, with the MEK, Acetone, and ATF, and found a real winner for carbon, powder fouling and LEAD. I was experimenting with some lousy fitting 44 pills in a lever gun and trying to shove them a bit too fast, and it was nothing to end up at home with a 20" barrel that was more lead than grooves. Glen's combined with a few twists of Big 45 Frontier Metal Cleaner CHANGED my gun cleaning life. I am a dedicated apostle.

NOW. I'm looking to consolidate some of my cleaning gear into a tacklebox for my range kit. It's not uncommon for me to go to the range and find somebody struggling with a malfunctioning gun, only to find a weapon so heart-breakingly filthy that a quick dunk in a chemical toilet couldn't POSSIBLY make it any WORSE.

At home, I keep my Glen's Red in a mason jar. But I don't like the idea of toting around a glass jar in a metal tacklebox as it gets jostled around in the back of my Jeep. But I know MEK and Acetone don't play nice with your average plastics.

What do other people store their stuff in? Convenient metal vessel with a tightly fitting metal lid? A suitably durable plastic? I've noticed it eats the rubber seals on the mason jar lids, so I'm a bit leery of mere mortal plastics.

Who uses what?

geargnasher
04-12-2012, 03:42 PM
I store Ed's Red in a gallon glass wine jug with a metal lid and dispense it in olive oil bottles with the plastic "dribbler" inserts.

Glen's Red is serious stuff. I made a small batch and store it in a quart acetone can with the aluminum-coated gasket in the lid. I tried an old Liquid Wrench can but it ate the plastic spout.

Gear

bootsnthejeep
04-12-2012, 03:48 PM
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=131797&highlight=red+storage&page=2

Amazing what a change of search terms will do. [smilie=b:

Anyway, I'll leave it up for new ideas. Looking for a small bottle, 8 to 10 ounces at the most.

GREENCOUNTYPETE
04-12-2012, 05:14 PM
re-use a small hoppes bottle if you can find one or something like it . just tape it up good with cloth medical tape