PDA

View Full Version : Boolit Molding Education

DonMountain
04-12-2012, 09:57 AM
One of the problems a lot of us have in attempting to cast boolits, is self education. We all read all the books and read all the web pages (like this one) to help us with learning how to cast a good boolit. But what I would really like to do is find someone local that I could sit in with on a casting session and let them explain the process and things to look out for when producing good boolit casts. There is no better education than direct observation along with running comment on the process. So, is there any way we can provide this education for fellow casters? [smilie=b:

dlviolin
04-13-2012, 01:04 AM
Where are you in "Mid-Missouri"? I'm in Lee's Summit.

DonMountain
04-13-2012, 02:29 PM
I am near Jefferson City. Mmmm. I think my wife's mother lives in Lees Summit. I wonder if she would like to go visit her mother? Route 50 and Chipman Road area. :smile:

EDK
04-13-2012, 10:13 PM
A mentor is a good idea...wish I'd had one to keep from "re-inventing the wheel."

Go over to lasc.us and read Glenn Fryxell's book FROM INGOT TO TARGET and possibly put into some kind of permanent file (computer illiterate retired power plant machinist here) or print it out. You will have the benefit of the experiences of one of the best boolit casters anywhere. (I owe him a meal and a couple drinks if I ever get to meet him.)

Otherwise, you're doing as good as you can hope to by being here at castboolits and asking questions. I've been casting since 1967 and it's still a d*** poor day I don't learn something here. There are a few "zeroes" on any web sites (mall ninjas on some AR forums!) that will give you grief, but they generally don't hang around here very long.

:redneck::cbpour::guntootsmiley:

beagle
04-14-2012, 09:13 AM
A mentor, is really the way to go if you can find one. Eliminates a LOT of mistakes. But, self education can be done and is better than not trying at all. Evidently, I made the grade and I'm dumb as a rock and that was over 50 years ago so don't hold back for lack of a mentor./beagle

ku4hx
04-14-2012, 09:26 AM
A mentor, is really the way to go if you can find one. Eliminates a LOT of mistakes. But, self education can be done and is better than not trying at all. Evidently, I made the grade and I'm dumb as a rock and that was over 50 years ago so don't hold back for lack of a mentor./beagle

Yep, when I started out 40+ years ago in a small town in South Georgia, there were no mentors. In fact, after I cast my first boolit, I instantly became the local mentor. But I did have Lyman's Cast Bullet Manual and I did read all the casting data and tried mightily to do as they said. Of course, at that time Linotype metal from local printers was both plentiful and cheap as dirt. So was gasoline in those days.

As a former high school teacher, I believe in teaching and mentoring. But the concept of self study and pulling oneself up by your own bootstraps has an enormous appeal to me.

Shuz
04-14-2012, 10:09 AM

Yeah, but there are rocks...... and then there are rocks! I even hauled a few back from Perryville a year or so ago! (hee hee)

1Shirt
04-14-2012, 10:12 AM
It is nice to see someone like Don Mountain posting. Might save a tinsel fairy visit down the line. (maybe) I was fortunate enough over 50 years ago to have a mentor, and am thankful. That said, with or without a mentor, I believe it is impossible to over read and to or to go back and onece in awhile re-read basics of casting period.
1Shirt!

04-14-2012, 10:27 AM
We had a casting class at last yrs spring gathering in April. Will do another this Oct. My bud left me with 70+ boolits--which I happily loaded--lol. Just found two more Pb sewer pipes in an old house we are moving. Probably have a ton just sitting waiting to go into ingots. Summer is almost here so is time to play. Just bought a new propane burner that is more stable than the tank burner. If you are local to NC/SC then plan on coming to our get togethers each April/Oct.