PDA

View Full Version : Physical therapy

Charlie Two Tracks
04-12-2012, 05:55 AM
I've had back problems for over 30 years. My lower back always gave me problems and as I got older, it got worse. For the last few years the pain has really limited my abilities to do things that I wanted to do. I've talked to my doctor about it and was told to take 800 mg. of Ibuprofen for it. That worked but sure messes with your stomach. Last week I called and asked about doing physical therapy for it. One of the guys at work had done that and it worked for him. Monday I had my first session and the exercises that they gave me to do seemed to be pretty darn simple. I figured that mot much was going to come out of this. Anyway, after just three days, the pain is almost gone. I cannot believe that I went around hurting for so long. I wish I would have done this years ago. My regular physician wasn't very enthusiastic about me doing this but I'm glad I tried it.

gabe123
04-12-2012, 06:38 AM
The excercises that they have you do at physical therapy seem so simple and basic that you get the idea the people there just make it up as they go along. Trust me, after 2 or 3 weeks you will not believe the improvement. Stick with the program they give you and remember to do your excercises at home also. It has made a world of difference for me. Have they done any massage or heat therapy yet? Ask about a TIMS belt, this gives your back muscles a gentle electric shock that relaxes the muscles which is a major contributor to the pain you experience. Good luck with your treatment.

gabe

Goatwhiskers
04-12-2012, 08:45 AM
I do believe that's a TENS unit: transcutaneous electrical neuro stimulation, or some thing close to that. Point is gabe is right, it can work wonders for pain relief. Goat

Jim Flinchbaugh
04-12-2012, 11:17 AM
My regular physician wasn't very enthusiastic about me doing this but I'm glad I tried it.

Of course we wasnt happy, you cut his money leeching self outta the picture!

(Edited for Language....Please obey the rules.)

Circuit Rider
04-12-2012, 11:29 AM
Charlie, I have back problems also and at 70+ figured I'd have to live with it. My chiropractor suggested an inversion table in addition to his therapy. Both together have done wonders. I picked up a table for $100.00 from a couple that didn't like blood rushing to their head when inverted. I get on mine 3 to 4 times per week for about 5 to 6 minutes each time at about 75 degree decline. CR

Cmemiss
04-12-2012, 12:12 PM
Give it time and stay away from the TENS unit if you can. A little over 5 years ago I had a bad back and bad hip. It hurt to walk to the mail box and I had really bad low back pains when I got out of bed in the morning. Then I had a really serious problem (anurisum) that put me in the hospital for 8 days with major surgery. I lost 20-25 lbs and the Docs recommended I start walking. Well, long story short, the weight loss let me get the leg mucles in shape and that seems to have supported the hip joint--no more pain--and I can now walk several miles with NO pain. Additionally started going to the YMCA and doing some simple weight routines. Among those is something called Ab crunches that uses resistance doing a modified sit-up. After a couple of months--No back pain in the morning. Guess I'm a convert to exercise, I'm off all pain meds and feel better than I have in a long time.

Love Life
04-12-2012, 12:53 PM
I wrenched my back really bad back in 2006. I sucked it up for 6 years until the pain got to be too much. I started physical thereapy in January of this year and finished mid February. My back gives me no pain whatsoever any more.

I thought they were quacks at first, but now I can't thank them enough. Physical therapy is some good stuff.

ErikO
04-12-2012, 01:10 PM
I stopped taking Ibuprofen and switched to naproxin sodium years ago. Much easier on the system and brings down the swelling just as well.

Physical therapy has worked for me. Now to do some physical training so my lower back doesn't have to lug around my lower abdomin. ;)