PDA

View Full Version : Rifled shotgun push through Boollit sizer :-)

Buckshot
04-05-2007, 03:19 AM
................Just got done making these. 1-1/4 steel, threaded 12 tpi. Takes those 1" OD inserts. That's a insert blank in the upper left. Right photo shows an insert in place. Just waiting for the slugs so I can hone them to size. A couple detail items to finish up, but basicly done.

...................Buckshot

Junior1942
04-05-2007, 07:21 AM
So . . . you can change the insert to a different size?????

scrapcan
04-05-2007, 10:11 AM
Buckshot,

Do the inserts go in from the bottom so you push them against a shoulder in the die? I have a set of push trough made by a Mr. Bill Wood in Colorado that woks in a similar fashion. The best way to keep the die insert in if it goes up from bottom is to use a plastig bag or plastic wrap when you put the insert in. it will friction fit and is easily removed with a dowel and a thump of the hand. Those are the instrucitons that came with my dies.

Will be interesting to see how the big sizer works out for you.

seawolfjack
04-05-2007, 10:52 AM
Buckshot, nice work. What do you use the slugs for? Your Snider? I did almost the same thing with 7/8x14 bolts to size down the 20ga slugs I use in my Snider. I think I have to make a different set up though, its a little rough on my press. I do all my own bullet sizing dies the same way. I'm in the process now of making a neck sizing die that will have changable heads. 7/8x14 bolt hollowed out large with a 5/8x18 insert in the to with the correct sizer. Beats trying to make them all out of 7/8x14. Have Fun

seawolfjack
04-05-2007, 10:55 AM
Hey Buckshot were you in the US Navy. Don't see many people use the word "plankowner". I was and I am.

lar45
04-05-2007, 11:12 AM
You always make great looking stuff.
How are you going to keep the bushing insert in? Thread the top for a hollow nut like the Lyman lubesizer?
What grade of steel did you use? Will it need to be hardened?
lots of ?s TIA

Buckshot
04-05-2007, 06:51 PM
Junior1942, " So . . . you can change the insert to a different size?????"

................Yup! Cheaper then making whole new die bodies that size.

manleyjt, "Do the inserts go in from the bottom so you push them against a shoulder in the die?"

..............No they go in from the top. Maven has a set like you're talking about. He said he used Saran wrap to hold them in. I haven't figured out how I want to hold the inserts in yet. I was thinking maybe slot the body and use an E clip, or a hitch clip type deal. Maybe just opposing setscrews as the top of the insert is bored oversize.

seawolfjact, " nice work. What do you use the slugs for? Your Snider? Hey Buckshot were you in the US Navy. Don't see many people use the word "plankowner". I was and I am."

..............No I made these for someone else who is shooting a rifled shotgun. Yes I lived on a big gray mobilehome, USS Noa DD-841. You must have been a Bubblehead :-).

lar45, "What grade of steel did you use? Will it need to be hardened? lots of ?s TIA

...............The body is 12L14 and the inserts are W-1. Since they're for lead slugs the inserts don't have to be hardened. They easily could be but I'd use O-1 if I was going to harden them. W-1 can shrink a bit and with their thin cross sections I'd be afraid they might crack. You could caseharden 1018 which would be great but I don't have the furnace setup to do it right, and using Kasenit would be a PITA, and maybe iffy for ID's.

...............Buckshot