PDA

View Full Version : Newbie question! Sorry

Rotaxxx
04-11-2012, 06:18 PM
Well I finally got some lee TL356-124-2R cast yesterday and plan on shooting them this weekend in my JR carbine. I have been shooting jacketed bullets in it, should I clean the bore before I switch to shooting the cast boolits? Also when I go back to jacketed boolits should I clean the bore again? Sorry if it's a dumb questions

runfiverun
04-11-2012, 06:31 PM
in some of my guns it don't matter.
it seems they do better if i shoot cast first though.
if you see a leading issue not connected to diameter.
i would look to it grabbing onto any copper in the bbl.

x101airborne
04-11-2012, 06:52 PM
Everyone was a noob at one time.

I prefer to clean all the copper out before shooting cast. Just my preference.

Shiloh
04-11-2012, 06:55 PM
+1

Start with a clean barrel to remove all doubt about leftover copper.

Shiloh

geargnasher
04-11-2012, 08:55 PM
Everyone was a noob at one time.

I prefer to clean all the copper out before shooting cast. Just my preference.

+2. Going the other way isn't so important. A person probably ought to keep the copper cleaned out of all their guns regularly anyway.

Gear

SlippShodd
04-11-2012, 08:58 PM
Shoot, that wasn't even close to a stupid question.
By the way, what does he mean, "clean the bore?"

mike

Wolfer
04-11-2012, 11:15 PM
I clean my bore with a few jacketed. I never clean the copper out before shooting lead and never have any issues. Probably depends on the gun though.

waksupi
04-12-2012, 01:33 AM
If you clean out all the copper, the lead won't be a problem, nor require cleaning. I have rifles and pistols with hundreds of rounds fired through them, that have no lead fouling whatsoever.

I'm amazed that in this day and age people are still actually shooting jacketed bullets. They will never catch on.

kappy
04-12-2012, 02:00 AM
I clean my rifle as often as I can, but I don't usually make it a point of cleaning before I switch from jacketed to cast.

And that was the complete opposite of a stupid question.

Wolfer
04-12-2012, 07:28 PM
In rereading my earlier post it appears I never clean my guns. Nothing could be further from true. When shooting jacketed I clean pretty often and until the sweets says there's no more copper in the bore. After you pass about a thousand rds with jacketed most bores get really easy to clean. So most of the time when I shoot lead after J there's only been a few down it. When I shoot J after lead its not more than 3 so it's never been an issue for me.