PDA

View Full Version : Tula primers

RACWIN375
04-11-2012, 10:01 AM
hi,
how do you guy's like Tula primers for about $30 less on 5K should I use instead CCI and FED

let me know what you think please

:bigsmyl2:

Rick

M-Tecs
04-11-2012, 10:10 AM
I have had good luck with them. They seem to be slightly larger than US primers. If you don’t get them fully seated you will get failures to fire. Fully seated I have never had an issue. Used about 7K.

edsmith
04-11-2012, 10:14 AM
I like them, never had a failure to fire with them.they are a mouse wisker larger, good for the many fired brass.

JohnFM
04-11-2012, 10:20 AM
Cost of primers is getting hard to deal with.
But, I still won't use some import ones just because they're cheap.

GP100man
04-11-2012, 10:23 AM
Is the difference on the whole primer or just the "mouth" causing the seating problem ???

I have 1K I bought at the GS ,but have`nt tried em yet . Bet there a booger to seat in new or 1 time fired WW 357 cases ???

Dennis Eugene
04-11-2012, 11:08 AM
Looking forward to an answer to GP100's question. Dennis

slide
04-11-2012, 11:16 AM
I tried the LPP in 45 acp. Couldn't get them to seat without reaming the primer pockets. Had no ftf's.

beex215
04-11-2012, 11:47 AM
ive tried them. good stuff.

mdi
04-11-2012, 12:38 PM
I've read tha Tula and Wolf primers are the same manufacturer, jes different name. The Wolf primers I have are a bit more difficult to seat, but I figgered it was because they are not nickel plated, and the brass on brass had more friction...

Jes a thought.

finishman2000
04-11-2012, 01:26 PM
i like them, have not had any issues with them.

Pitchnit
04-11-2012, 02:02 PM
I deprime and then tumble so some of my 45 acp primer pockets are a bit loose with CCI, I use the Tula in them and seat with a lee hand primer in mixed brass. The only issue I have had is with S & B cases. Have had no issues.

Don1955
04-11-2012, 02:21 PM
Ive bought 40k and have had zero problems.

Jon K
04-11-2012, 02:22 PM
Bet there a booger to seat in new or 1 time fired WW 357 cases ???

You bet they're tough....with anything new.
I tried them with new 38-55/357/32-20...I use RCBS Universal Hand Primer, or Lee Auto-Prime. Each time I had to switch to bench mounted primer tool. Sometimes 1x is OK, not easy but...OK.

I bought them because PV was out of stock on Wolf. I was told "same as Wolf"...BUT COST MORE. Well may be made in the same plant, but feel like it is a tougher primer to seat, although seems to shoot the same. I can't see any difference in chrono data, or group size.

For What it's Worth...That's my $.02,

Jon

MiHec
04-11-2012, 02:33 PM
I'm using this ones for my AR15 in .223 rem. They are ok.
It is copper cup, slightly thinner than standard murom (red box) primers

fredj338
04-11-2012, 02:48 PM
I have had good luck with them. They seem to be slightly larger than US primers. If you don’t get them fully seated you will get failures to fire. Fully seated I have never had an issue. Used about 7K.

I don't think they are so much larger as just not round. I find the Wolf/Tula ok in large sizes but finicky in small. So I shy away from them for SR or SP.

lbaize3
04-11-2012, 07:12 PM
I'm not really sure how many thousand I have used to date, but they work well with no failures to fire...

Dark Helmet
04-11-2012, 07:29 PM
In new WW 40 S&W brass, it was something awful to get the Tulas to seat below the casehead. Once fired other brass no problems. Primer height and diameter correct to spec on both as measured with vernier caliper. Found WW once fired 40 S&W brass to have the shallowest primer pockets of three brands checked. Have to measure the primer pocket depth on the new brass, they're at a friend's. He reports no problems when shooting the ammo we assembled with the new brass that we had trouble getting the Tulas to seat properly in.

flipajig
04-11-2012, 08:21 PM
I have run just over 1 k through my 9mm mixed brass I prime on a Lee clasic turet with Lee safety primer with 0 problems

sig2009
04-11-2012, 08:22 PM
I'm not really sure how many thousand I have used to date, but they work well with no failures to fire...

You are correct. I to have never had any issues with them!

milprileb
04-11-2012, 10:05 PM
I have used over 26,000 in the last 18 months: flawless performance. Replicates Winchester primers in all my pet loads.

I buy Tula because they work ! They are value priced as well .

Floydster
04-12-2012, 10:15 AM
Going on over 50,000 in the last five years, not one " failure to fire" in all my 8 pistols and 5 rifles.

MBTcustom
05-15-2012, 10:42 PM
I had a FTF with a Wolf brand primer in a 45ACP. Yep, I sure did. So you got my one FTF to give control to the 127,000 previously stated.
Heck yeah I'd buy 'em!

mcyrier
05-15-2012, 10:57 PM
I've bought 60K Tula/Wolf primers from Powder Valley in the last 2 years and all have gone bang out of my 1911s.

Mark

edsmith
05-16-2012, 12:55 AM
a while back I needed 5 dead unfired primers, I soaked 5 tula primers in oil for at least 48 hours,thought that would kill them, out of the 5, 2 fired.

MikeS
05-16-2012, 06:07 AM
I use Tula primers in both LP and SP as well as LR and the only problem I've had with them was when using SP 45ACP brass with a Smith 22-4. The problem was that the cylinder wasn't locking up properly, and so was trying to hit the primer on the edge, so it wouldn't fire. Can't really blame the primer for that, I now only use LP brass in the Smith.

The only other problem I had was with some 41AE brass from Buffalo Arms, it uses LP primers, and for some reason I was getting punctured primers with the Tula primers, but when I loaded some with CCI primers didn't have any problems. Not sure what the problem was there, but since I've changed the load it's no longer a problem. The load that gave problems was 5.2gr Unique, and now using 5gr of HP-38 I have no problem.

milprileb
05-16-2012, 08:09 AM
Going beyond Tula primers being a solid choice, I have always found that the few (and there have been only a few times), any brand of primer failed to fire, there is some issue beyond the primer that is the fault. The weapon or loading technique is usually the culprit.

Not to say, in a mass produced flow , a faulty primer has not happened. Just that it is so infrequent as to be of no concern to me.

Federal primers get a bad rap for slam fires in M1 Rifles. Its more likely reloader failure to seat them properly IMHO.

The problem with Tula is: its Russian and our American bias gets in our way. You just got to
work through that and use them. They are in great supply, shoot great and cost less. Now, there is no reason our USA primers are in short supply, and cost more ! Competition in price should make USA primers become more competitive price wise but its not working that way because the makers in USA don't care. THey make them and think you got to buy them for any price they want. The message to that is : Buy Tula and shoot more for less. The Arrogance of our primer makers is unacceptable. Anyhow... my use of Tula has proved they are the equal of Winchester, CCI or Federal and I use them because they work. That they cost less is a huge benefit and I appreciate that.

res45
05-16-2012, 08:19 AM
Is the difference on the whole primer or just the "mouth" causing the seating problem ???

I have 1K I bought at the GS ,but have`nt tried em yet . Bet there a booger to seat in new or 1 time fired WW 357 cases ???

I have the Wolf primer in various sizes,Wolf and Tula are both made by the same Russian primer mfg. so they are identical. I will try and get some measurements today and report back it may be tonight before I can post back.

RKJ
05-16-2012, 09:18 AM
Guys, Thank you. I've been looking at Graf's and saw these but wasn't sure of quality (and as some one said my bias) if I wanted to try them. After reading the reviews I believe I will.

41 mag fan
05-16-2012, 09:43 AM
I had problems with seating them in my 223 brass. It didn't matter if it was mil surp brass that I had swaged with my Dillon Super swage, or commercial brass.
All was 1x's fired.
Of each 100 primers I'd load in my tubes, I'd get maybe 2 or it could be 80 that were hard to seat.
But the same case, I could load any other primer in without problems.
Finally came to realize they were thicker and causing the problems.
But of the 6800 loaded so far, all have went bang.

Moondawg
05-16-2012, 10:03 AM
I have used over 15K both wolf and tula, not one FTF, they seat properly, and just plain work. Being that they are produced in a foreign company there is an import fee on them, yet they are a good quality primer that sells for significently less than domestic production, federal, CCi, winchester etc. I refuse to pay more for a made in USA product that is no better than the wolf/tula. There is no reason the domestic primer producers cannot be competitive in price, except they want to rip off their customers and every few years produce an artificial shortage as an excuse to raise prices even more.

felix
05-16-2012, 10:08 AM
Shortage of primers and cases are real. Once a line is set up to manufacture, that line will be used to the hilt until raw feeds run out, or quantity met. Then a change over in the plant to another like product. By nature of these products, it's feast or famine at the "retail" outlets. Do NOT consider these products as staple products. ... felix

pastor
05-16-2012, 11:23 AM
i have loaded and shot about 6000 tula primers and have had zero problems

madsenshooter
09-14-2012, 01:11 AM
Sorry to dredge this up, but I experienced some hangfires with the Tula KVB-7E, unleaded primers. I was trying to ignite some RL19 in a load for one of my Krag rifles. Click, bang, like shooting a flintlock. So, I got curious and found this little paper done at the AF Academy: http://wstiac.alionscience.com/pdf/WQV11N2_ART01.pdf

Stupidly, in retrospect, I had thought they would be using a chemical similar to the American GI lead free formula, which will light ball powder. No such luck. So if you bought some of these, don't try lighting any slow burners with them! I had some loads using Jeff's Russian 4895. No discernible delay with that speed powder. It's likely this powder is what they had to test the primers with anyway. Works ok for this stuff, go ahead and ship them to the US! Only 4800 more to go!

Forrest r
09-14-2012, 06:20 AM
Another vote for a great primer at a great price ($95/5000 @ the local gunshows). Zero problems & they seem to be a hair hotter than the winchester primers I used for years. I get 5 to 10fps more out of the same load with tula/wolf primers compared to the winchester primers. The wolf/tula primers also seem to burn the dirty low powder charges of unique better leaving less fouling.

jrayborn
09-14-2012, 11:27 AM
Tula and every other imported primer are totally worthless, 100% corrosive, inaccurate and will make you blind. Please (please!) don't buy them. I would sure hate to see the price go up due to high demand of such a junk product.

Every experiance I have had with Wolf and Tula has been entirely positive...

Lance Boyle
09-14-2012, 08:49 PM
I have seen the diameters of Wolf large primers vary. I was having firm seating than too easy slip in cases. I got out the micrometer and found they are not as consistent as US primers in diameter. I use them in cases with pockets that are a shade loose.

johnho
09-15-2012, 08:44 PM
I use Wolf, the Tula's are the same, in my semiauto pistols only. Some FTF so only use them in practice and not matches. I can NOT use them in revolvers, no good on my 686-too hard for my spring.

captain-03
09-15-2012, 08:55 PM
Last primer order from Powder Valley -- 60K with 48K being Tula!! I like 'em!!

http://i580.photobucket.com/albums/ss241/captain-03/img_4811.jpg

daniel lawecki
09-15-2012, 09:00 PM
Out of 15,000 Tula primers in different use calibers and many guns I have had 3 FTF