PDA

View Full Version : Price of brass

fatelk
04-11-2012, 12:05 AM
I finally took my various buckets of accumulated brass, copper jackets, and other scrap metal in to the scrap yard today. I accumulates for a couple years before I have enough to bother with.

It surprised me how much I got: $2.20 for cartridge brass, $3 for #2 copper. I had a bunch of old 30-06 shells that were questionable (tarnished, etc) that I contemplated keeping but decided to not mess with them and threw them in the bucket.

Out of curiosity I weighed a few different shells to see what the average scrap value is. At $2.20/lb, an '06 case is worth 6 cents in scrap. I have another big bag of old 30-06 brass I guess I should have tossed in. It's all good brass, just a wide mixture of old military and commercial, most likely more than once fired but still plenty good. .40 S&W brass is worth 3 cents scrap. I've seen folks on the trader selling it for that or less shipped. Some really good deals for brass there, if you need it.

BTW, I saw a barrel of wheel weights and asked about price to buy some: $.65/lb. For that price I think I would be better off buying ingots off the trader, if I needed lead.

HighHook
04-11-2012, 01:01 AM
WOW! good to know... I have a couple hundred pounds of old brass cases to turn in. Now you got me motivated.

Funny you say Questionable about the 06 brass i just had a whole bunch of old 30-06 cases give way at the bases today at the range. they are marked "DEN" all going in the scrap pile

evan price
04-11-2012, 01:17 AM
40 S&W brass CAN'T be worth 3 cents as scrap.

There is roughly 100 40 S&W cases per pound. At your $2.20 per pound they are 2.2 cents each as scrap. You 30-06 cases are worth 6.1 cents each as scrap. I can easily get fifteen cents each plus shipping from 30-06 brass if it is usable, and you can get 140 pcs in a small flat-rate box.

This may be a minor detail but I typically bring in 500-800 pounds of brass scrap at a time and little mistake like that is hundreds of dollars!

I am selling 9mm and 40 brass for 2.5 cents each plus shipping myself, and any less than that I might as well scrap them because it's not worth the effort to sort, tumble, inspect & resort.

runfiverun
04-11-2012, 02:28 AM
i have made a bunch of that den-43 into 7.65 argie no annealing and have gotten @15 loads out of them.

HighHook
04-11-2012, 02:45 AM
Must have been rode hard batch of free brass from years ago on my end of the world.
I usually use all my bubba style and old mixed brass for plinking with the lee93 grainer super lite load. The kids love-em. 5 of the bubba up dens kept blowing out in my boys face this afternoon. good thing he had eyewear on.

fatelk
04-11-2012, 09:54 AM
You're right Evan. My mistake, I looked at my calculations wrong. I thought I saw 100gr which is 70 per pound, instead of 70gr and 100 per pound. Sorry about that.

Either way, 2.5 cents each for .40 is a good deal if you need it.

30-06 with a DEN headstamp is WWII. I used quite a bit of it over the years, but it can get old and brittle.

It seems like I tried selling some old 30-06 brass a while back and couldn't hardly give it away. I must have been doing something wrong.