PDA

View Full Version : What's the deal with lead poisoning?

kappy
04-10-2012, 08:15 PM
I try to be safe and all, but I keep hearing different things about lead poisoning and how you get it while smelting and otherwise working with lead.

First, I smelt in my garage. I keep the door open (obviously) and open the side door for ventilation. Any smoke rising off the surface floats out the big door... but should I be worried? Is it true that the vapors don't rise high up off the table?

Second, I don't wear gloves. Should I be worried about that?

None of my lead is oxidized (at least visually).

Anyway... anything else you can tell me is welcome. I don't really love the thought of getting lead poisoning... which I've heard is incredibly painful.

Springfield
04-10-2012, 08:36 PM
I cast commecially, albeit on a small scale. I smelt scrap lead when I have to and always alloy up my own lead. I just did 900 lbs of scrap sheet lead last week. I used to get my lead level checked every year but my doctor won't authorize it that often any more as I always came back in the normal range. I did lower my lever 4 points(from 12 to 8) by not dumping out my tumbler in the garage, now I do it outside. Tumbler dust apparently carries a bit or airborne lead with it. At least it worked for me. I never eat or drink while casting, smelting or alloying. I wash my hands after with D-Lead soap, available from Brownells. As far as I know lead poisoning doesn't hurt, it is the chelating the doctor does to remove lead from your body. Keep your hands out of your mouth and nose while in contact with lead and you should be fine.

Ole
04-10-2012, 08:37 PM
Don't smoke, eat, or drink while you're working with lead. This includes reloading and especially your tumbler!

Always wash up as soon as your done working with lead.

I got my lead blood level tested last time I got a physical and it was low.

Practice good hygiene and habits and you don't need to worry.

As far as the gloves, I would recommend them for sure, but some folks are comfortable not using them and I'm not going to argue.

btroj
04-10-2012, 10:27 PM
Ingestion of lead dust or lead oxides is much more of an issue than "fumes" are.
Good personal hygiene is the key. Wash your hands well when done. Don't eat, drink, or smoke while handling lead.
With some basic precautions lead poisoning need not be an issue.

MikeS
04-11-2012, 01:46 AM
Well, I guess I'm destined to get poisoned as I do 2 of those 3 things while casting & reloading! Sometimes all three, but rarely as I find it hard to eat while reloading. I do try and keep my cigarette away from the press when I check to see that the powder actually got into the casing. For all I know I might already have high lead levels, as I can't convince my doc to test me for lead, he keeps saying as long as I don't actually eat the lead that I'll be fine, and due to my various ailments and allergies I kind of feel the way I've seen lead poisoning's symtoms listed. But then, I'm a big boy, I know the dangers of what I do, and don't & won't blame anyone else for my actions.

runfiverun
04-11-2012, 02:57 AM
the number one way to get lead into your body is to ingest it.
just wash your hands.
i worked in electro ceramics with oxidized lead for over two years and run a casting business at the same time.
we had our blood drawn at work every three months,
my lead levels were the same as everybody elses that worked there.
i was one of the few that worked there that smoked.

nicholst55
04-11-2012, 05:12 AM
A lot of people are mistakenly convinced that any contact with lead will immediately cause lead poisoning, simply because that's what they tell us. You know who they are - the CDC, the gubiment, anti-gunners, etc. Lead is evil, and it will kill you and all living things if introduced into your environment.

In reality, as long as you don't eat it or otherwise ingest it, you'll be just fine when casting bullets. Emptying out your tumbler probably exposes you to more lead than casting does. To the list of 'don't eat, drink, or smoke,' I would add 'don't dip.' Obviously, you wouldn't want to stick your lead-covered fingers into your can of worm-dirt, scoop out a pinch, and insert it into your mouth.

My son, the doctor, tells me the same thing - don't eat, drink or smoke, and wash your hands thoroughly when you're finished. You'll be just fine; so will your family.

Moonman
04-11-2012, 07:09 AM
Constant INDOOR shooting should be a concern.

MikeS,

Being a Fatalist with lead is not smart,
Lead poisoning concerns YOUR CENTRAL NERVOUS SYSTEM,
NOT REALLY SOMETHING TO BE TREATED LIGHTLY.

randyrat
04-11-2012, 07:34 AM
These fellows covered it all...I'm just going to give em all dittos on this lead stuff. It will NOT rub off on your fingers and absorb into your bloodstream. It will NOT evaporate into the air for you to breath in. It takes a much higher temp than what we use to vaporize lead.

I cast in the shop with the doors closed in the winter, I refuse to breath all that cold air in. I do use clean lead for casting.

Breathing in smoking hot grease and grime from WWs is NOT good.

ubetcha
04-11-2012, 08:00 AM
I have heard that vitiman B12 was suppose to help remove lead from ones system.Don't know for sure though.If someone has a health care member in their family,check with them and let us know

SlimTim
04-11-2012, 08:03 AM
A couple posts above mentioned oxidized lead, I just bought 700# + of ww that had orange rust over a lot of it. I smelted about 50# and took in a couple of snootfuls of the smoke, it wasn't pleasant but didn't make me sick. The next week I bought a respirator and the proper rated insert things so I'll be ready for the next smelting session.

Question though, as I sort through the weights, that orange rust/lead gets everywhere. Any way to get rid of that so I won't have to handle it? i.e., buy a bottle of Lead Magic (TM) if it's been invented yet or anything to spray on the ww?

TIA,
SlimTim

captaint
04-11-2012, 09:52 AM
Plus one on what Moonman said. I get my blood checked every six months. My levels just went down 6 points from high normal. The ONLY thing I changed was, I stopped shooting rimfires indoors over the winter. My doc's ( 3 or 4) have never given my any grief about getting lead tested. They ask why - I tell them - they say OK. enjoy Mike

Lead Fred
04-11-2012, 10:01 AM
Resist licking the ingots

runfiverun
04-11-2012, 12:26 PM
tim.
that orange stuff is rust from steel.
just wash it off with a hose.

Beagler
04-11-2012, 12:35 PM
I will see if I can get some good pics of some oxide and post them

zuke
04-11-2012, 12:54 PM
Two of the biggest culpurt's in our hobby that'll lead you up is tumbling media and the priming compound used in primer's.

Revolver
04-11-2012, 01:07 PM
Resist licking the igots

Tooooooo tempting! :oops:

MikeS
04-11-2012, 02:00 PM
I thought that you were supposed to lick you ingots to see if they're cool enough to handle? :)

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?wpjzkf

plainsman456
04-11-2012, 07:18 PM
Don't lick ingots or boolits.And whatever don't stick them in your mouth.
You have to have a really hot fire to get the lead to vaporize.

kappy
04-12-2012, 01:58 AM
Well, that's a load off my mind. Still, I suppose I should get tested? I don't think I touch the lead all that much except the finished bullets, but I do drink while casting. It gets hot out there, you know?

badbob454
04-12-2012, 02:11 AM
just dont eat finger licking chicken when casting , and youll be fine
...my rule is keep your fingers out of your mouth and if you eat or drink do not touch the food with anything that has touched lead , best to take a break wash hands eat drink pee and get back to casting , had to add pee as im old and do it more lately

evan price
04-12-2012, 05:15 AM
I collect, tumble, sort and handle probably 100,000 pcs of range brass every year. I don't take especial care except to wash hands and face when I'm done, and don't eat or drink while working or until after I've washed up. I smelt range lead I hand pick from the berm and wheel weights I hand sort. I don't often wear gloves. I cast my boolits inside during winter. Again, normal precautions of don't stand in the smoke, don't overheat the lead, don't eat or drink or put hands in face until washed. I shoot lots of lead boolits and rimfires and also j-bullets.

Lead level was a"3" last test. Low normal. I'm not worried.

303Guy
04-12-2012, 05:24 AM
... take a break wash hands eat drink pee ...I think that was meant to read "drink and pee"! :kidding:

SlimTim
04-12-2012, 07:58 AM
tim.
that orange stuff is rust from steel.
just wash it off with a hose.

Thanks, thought that might be the case, but paranoia keeps creeping in. [smilie=s:

SlimTim

Defcon-One
04-12-2012, 01:34 PM
....don't eat, drink or smoke, and wash your hands thoroughly when you're finished. You'll be just fine; so will your family....

That covers it all!

Also, Orange Juice is supposed to be a great Chelating agent. I think it is the Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C). [ie. It removes heavy metals (Lead) from the body.] Besides, it tastes great. Follow the rules above and if your worried have a big glass of OJ the day after smelting or casting and you'll be fine.

I have cast/smelted Lead for 20+ years and my Lead levels never have been higher than 3. (0-10 is the normal range.) They don't even start worrying until you get to 20!

Revolver
04-12-2012, 08:05 PM
Don't lick ingots or boolits.And whatever don't stick them in your mouth.
You have to have a really hot fire to get the lead to vaporize.

But is it ok to put molten lead in your mouth? This dude thinks so...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q40v8qeUJZQ&feature=related

kappy
04-13-2012, 12:02 AM
But is it ok to put molten lead in your mouth? This dude thinks so...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q40v8qeUJZQ&feature=related

Better to have hot lead in your mouth than pee...

SlowSmokeN
04-13-2012, 11:49 AM
I tried to get my Doc to test me at my last exam. I was told insurance won't cover it. I will just be safe and hope for the best.

Ole
04-13-2012, 12:10 PM
I tried to get my Doc to test me at my last exam. I was told insurance won't cover it. I will just be safe and hope for the best.

I think the test I took was around $20.

How much is your piece of mind worth?

Defcon-One
04-13-2012, 12:32 PM

No kidding! just pay for it!

Or, are you one of those, let the Government, the Insurance Company or Somebody Else pay for it types?

Buck up! It is worth $20 or $30 to know!

Slam'n Salmon
04-14-2012, 08:09 PM
Most lead that affect blood levels seems to come from inhaling particles. The lead paint issues are what caused the concern. Sand paint and make a dust that you inhale and your lead level will go up. That is the problem with tumblers, DUST. The oxide on lead is also a problem. I cast a bunch of ingots and loaded a bunch of firewood on top drove back home unloaded 3 days later and the ingots looked like they had been rolled in flour. It is easy to absorb.

mongo
04-14-2012, 08:26 PM
Thats how you can test your lead for the proper alloy, The sweeter it tastes the more lead

BAGTIC
04-14-2012, 09:35 PM
Lead oxide is white. That is why it was used as a pigment for white paint for centuries.

max it
04-19-2012, 12:49 PM
OK I have to weigh in; first off I think the OP's are right in taking precautions with the tumbled media. Lead Stryphonite (sp?) is one source. However I moved my casting into the garage a year or so ago, since it is usually too hot outside and/or we poured new concrete and wifey doesnt like my lead splotches out there.
MY BLOOD LEAD LEVEL WENT UP BY 3 mcg/dl I AM AT 20! I AM GOING TO STOP CASTING AND SMELTING FOR A YEAR NOW. (LESS IF IT GOES DOWN, DR. AND ME ARE WATCHING IT.) it is vitally important that I keep my grey matter working. Do you know the expression 'Mad as a Hatter'?
Take heed, and here is the thread with the most info on the subject:
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=307170&page=9

Max

40Super
04-19-2012, 01:25 PM
I tumble with SS pins in water,that water gets pretty black.That is another thing to avoid I would think,having your hands in lead saturated water I would think can absorb a bit,how much?Don't know.I try to clense the water before taking the brass out.