PDA

View Full Version : Problems with Ebay / Paypal

Roundnoser
04-10-2012, 09:27 AM
I don't use Ebay very much anymore. Just got tired of all the rules, and their fees. Recently, Paypal sent me a notice that said, based on my account history I was a risk, and any funds received into my account from Ebay would be held for 21 days! I didn't know what they were talking about, so I called them.

According to Paypal, the notice only pertains to Ebay activity. If you do not have at least 50 Ebay transactions every 6 months, you are automatically placed into the "risk" category, and any money received in your account from Ebay transactions will be held for 21 days! -- I told Paypal that it was non-sense. In three years, I only have 100 transactions, so forevermore my funds will be held for 21 days! -- It screws all of us "little" guys. -- I also told the rep. that although they were holding my funds, they had already taken THEIR percentage out, which is insult to injury!

Paypal said that the reason for the new policy is that they have seen a spike in the number of previously "Good" Ebayers, returning to Ebay and doing bad business (whatever that means).

Anyway, my 100+ transactions on Ebay has a 100% positive feedback, so it makes no sense why they would do this. I told the Paypal rep. to tell his supervisors that their policies are pushing customers away, and I would make every effort to do all my buying and selling elsewhere....where I'm treated fairly.

PatMarlin
04-10-2012, 09:33 AM
Ebay is seriously out of control.

cuzinbruce
04-10-2012, 09:41 AM
Their arrogance is exceeded only by their stupidity. I should know, I am a "Powerseller".

ph4570
04-10-2012, 09:59 AM
Thanks for letting me know of their new rip-off tactic.

ErikO
04-10-2012, 10:05 AM
Glad I have a merchant-class Paypal account, it seems to work a bit differently than the standard ones do.

Recluse
04-10-2012, 11:09 AM
This sounds like an Ebay driven scheme to get you and other casual sellers to up your activity on Ebay.

I haven't checked lately on Ebay's stock price, but I've heard rumbles for the past two years that activity is down as many casual sellers have gone to other auction sites and the occasional sellers have gone to Craigslist.

I remember Ebay in its infancy. I thought it was THE coolest thing ever--a giant garage sale on the internet! I also remember Ebay pre-Paypal when you money orders or cash were the strongly preferred methods of payment.

These days, I hardly ever even wander over to Ebay. Too expensive, too fee-ridden, too few casual sellers.

:coffee:

greenbud
04-10-2012, 11:17 AM
ebay just needs to die thats about it

GRUMPA
04-10-2012, 11:24 AM
I was under the impression that Flea-bay and Paypal were both owned by the same person, maybe I was wrong.

ph4570
04-10-2012, 11:29 AM
A thinly-veiled scheme to gain from the use of people's money for an additional 21 days.

Mk42gunner
04-10-2012, 11:45 AM
I quit using ebay when they started requiring you to paypal, actually slightly before that as my disposable income went down. I found out about it when I was looking for an engine to rebuild for my truck. When the auction ended I asked the seller if cash was okay, since I had to pick it up anyway, (plus I wanted to look at the block before my hardearned money went bye-bye).

With that said, paypal figures they can get away with keeping the small sellers money for three weeks and collecting the interest on it; since the smaller sellers probably do not have a corporate attorney to help force them to turn over the money in a timely manner.

Robert

Longwood
04-10-2012, 11:47 AM
I love ebay.
I am up to 162 items bought.
The only issue I see with it is the people trying to make a living there that have fixed prices on everything. If I avoid them completely, I can still find some good deals.

3006guns
04-10-2012, 12:06 PM
I quite SELLING on Ebay when they required all sellers to use Paypal. Their fees for selling even a minor item had already skyrocketed, along with picture fees, listing fees, etc. For a guy that only occasionally sells something out of the garage it just wasn't worth it. To add insult to injury, a seller could no longer place negative feedback if he was ripped off by a buyer....but the buyer could crucify the poor seller who followed all the rules. It looked a little one sided to me.

I kept on buying though.....even registered on Paypal to make transactions quicker. Lately though I'm not seeing bargains anywhere on the site. In fact, I'm seeing items with a starting bid that's higher than what the stupid thing is worth! Everything...and I mean EVERYTHING...is "rare", "hard to find", yadda yadda yadda. When you combine that with the masses of commercial sellers it just isn't any fun anymore.

The final straw was the forbidding of firearms parts and reloading components (brass). I see they've resumed allowing parts but still no brass......think I'll just buy from here, amongst my friends.

Like Recluse said, it used to be a lot of fun......one huge garage sale where payment was accepted in good 'ol greenbacks, money orders, etc. No more.

Hardcast416taylor
04-10-2012, 12:12 PM
Do I really need to say that this is Kalifornia thinking?Robert

41 mag fan
04-10-2012, 12:34 PM
A thinly-veiled scheme to gain from the use of people's money for an additional 21 days.

Exactly...they can, just as a bank does, invest and make a few pennies on it. But over the course of thousands if not millions of dollars invested in short term investments, you make millions of pennies.

Stick_man
04-10-2012, 06:16 PM
If they are going to be a bank, they need to act like one and be subject to the same requirements of funds availability. 21 days is rediculous! My days of selling on the evilbay are over. I maintain my Paypal account only for sending funds to others and occasionally receiving funds from others from outside of ebay.

dragon813gt
04-10-2012, 06:28 PM
Paypal is not a bank in any way shape or form. They only give the buyer some sort of protection. And even then it's barely marginal because all they can do is freeze their own accounts. They can't go into the sellers bank account to refund your money if you are ripped off. There are other merchant service options available. Unfortunately most people are unaware of them. Paypal hates to give you your money to begin with. Thats why it takes so long for a withdraw to hit your account. This is yet one more thing that proves that they don't want you to have your money.

Brought to you by TapaTalk.

DLCTEX
04-10-2012, 06:33 PM
If they tell me that, then I will tell them to go jump!

imashooter2
04-10-2012, 06:41 PM

And THAT is the reason.

Stick_man
04-10-2012, 07:54 PM
They may not be a bank YET, but they are pushing ever closer every day and that thin line between them and the bank behind them is getting thinner every day. They are trying to be the ebay bank. They are offering just about everything a bank offers except for formal loans.

True, they are not a bank... yet.

kappy
04-10-2012, 08:27 PM
Paypal caters to other businesses as well. I've never sold anything through ebay. Does that mean that if I don't do business, but my brother pays me back for something through Paypal, they're going to hold those funds?

KohlerK91
04-10-2012, 08:44 PM
The only thing I used Ebay for it to sell stuff at "auction" price. Which is usually higher than selling on the Swappin Sellin board here. Until I ran the numbers and looked at the fees I paid.

Example: I sold an item for $314 plus shipping(there is a fee on shipping charges too that the seller pays) and after fees (13%)Net was about $275. I might as well have just sold the stuff here at the lower price.

white eagle
04-10-2012, 08:58 PM
don't like e-bay never did

Roundnoser
04-10-2012, 09:13 PM
Paypal caters to other businesses as well. I've never sold anything through ebay. Does that mean that if I don't do business, but my brother pays me back for something through Paypal, they're going to hold those funds?

The rep at Paypal said the "hold" is only on Ebay sales. Private transactions through paypal are not affected.

To answer someone elses question: Ebay purchased Paypal, so they are one big happy family out there in California.

Ebay also decided to (once again) allow the sale of some gun parts. Funny isn't it...They banned the sale of gun parts because of what? Liability? Ethics? but now they see how much money they are losing to places like Gunbroker, etc. and want a piece of the market. Sooooo, I guess their anti-gun stance wasn't because of liability or ethics, was it? More like personal politics and greed! Quite transparent.

Jammer Six
04-10-2012, 10:02 PM
Do I really need to say that this is Kalifornia thinking?Robert

No such thing.

captaint
04-11-2012, 08:55 AM
The guy (can't think of his name right now) that makes the Freechex tools even quit selling on Ebay. He ONLY did business thru them for years. He's done, I believe. What does that say?? enjoy Mike