PDA

View Full Version : Great surprise

oldwood1
04-09-2012, 09:57 PM
Went to my 1st BP shoot about 3 weeks ago, just a polka shoot but it was fun, friend of mine let me shoot his Lyman Plains Rifle,(great gun) needless to say, I was hooked.
I was at friends Bday party the weekend after, got to talking guns with a guy across the table, told him I was looking for a traditional side lock percussion in .50cal. He asked if I would consider a .54cal., told him sure, did he have 1 for sale? Said it wasn't for sale but I could have it, he would drop it off sometime. A week ago today he was knocking on the door about 9:30am. What a SURPRISE, gun is in great shape, T/C Renegade 54cal. The bore is not pristine but I'm working on it! Been checking out posts here on patches,lube and BOOLIT starter. Made a starter, got some lube, made some patches ready to go, pillow ticking and drill cotton, round balls bought, new nipple and caps. Headed for the range 1st chance I get!!

grullaguy
04-09-2012, 10:23 PM
Way to go.
A great gun at a fantastic price.

Beagle333
04-09-2012, 11:12 PM
What luck! I love my Renegade. You're off to a good start. You'll have a wall full of long guns in no time. [smilie=p:

smoked turkey
04-09-2012, 11:47 PM
You will love it. I took a nice little buck with mine this past season. They are accurate, fairly easy to clean and fun to shoot. Whats not to like. Good luck with it.

Boerrancher
04-10-2012, 08:14 AM
Dang, I thought I got a good deal on my TC Hawken when I traded two small bird points for it. That is a better deal than mine.... free. You will enjoy it and if you don't you can send it to me.

Best wishes,

Joe

BE Wild Willy
04-10-2012, 09:23 PM
Nice job on your short starter...

rr2241tx
04-11-2012, 03:05 PM
You're off to a flying start there! Free Advice: Get an aluminum T/C range rod and a brass muzzle guide before you start shooting it and leave that wooden wiping rod in the thimbles. The ends will just break off the wooden rod anyway if your ball is tight enough to give good accuracy and it is mighty inconvenient to have your ramrod break during a match. Guess how I know that.

04-11-2012, 03:34 PM
Shooting it may clean up the barrel. At least that good justification for using a lot.