PDA

View Full Version : How soon to lube bullets

dradave
04-09-2012, 09:49 PM
Friends, I cast some 200gn RNFP this afternoon and was pleased with the results. I'll tumble lube these with Lee Alox for the time being as I don't have the setup for any other process right now.

I'm curious as to how long I should wait before I lube the bullets. Should I wait a day or two or possibly a week until the bullet completely hardens?

Thanks...

williamwaco
04-09-2012, 09:58 PM
If they are dry, and cool enough to handle with your bare hands, they are ready to lube.

btroj
04-09-2012, 10:24 PM
I size mine as soon as I have time.

Could be same day, migh be a week, might be a year.

runfiverun
04-09-2012, 10:33 PM
the lube dries better if the boolits are warm.
i wait a day or so to size,unless waterdropping and sizing down more than a thou then they get done asap.

oldfart1956
04-10-2012, 09:03 AM
I'm tumble loobin' them and shovin' them in the cases while they're still too hot to hold without mittens! Audie.....the Oldfart...:)

zack
04-10-2012, 09:25 AM
My sizer is right next to where I cast. I start sizing while the next pot of lead is coming up to temp.

Lead Fred
04-10-2012, 10:11 AM
I takem out of the ice water, and into the oven 120 F for 30 minutes, then pour the lube into the pan. Set the pans on the concrete floor over night, then size the next day.

1Shirt
04-14-2012, 02:12 PM
By choice I prefer to size them the same day, but if not when ever works as well unless they are super hard. Kind of dislike looking at naked boolits, lube dresses them up well, particularly if it is red or blue.
1Shirt!

Sonnypie
04-14-2012, 03:02 PM
Beings as when I "fire that Mother up" I cast a bunch, usually do other steps another day.
Since I like to water drop mine, that means drying the days casting. Usually overnight works. But I'm retired. So time is a generous commodity to me.

I have what I consider a "glut" of pistola bullets on hand, ready to load. (Lubed, Sized, Stored) And no empty brass.
I also have a "glut" of rifle bullets on hand, ready to load. (Lubed, Sized, Stored) and no empty brass.

I tend to do batch work. Focusing on each step.
So I usually set one task until I'm satisfied I'm done, or burn out on it.

I'm an odd duck in that I do hot lube dipping (http://s1195.photobucket.com/albums/aa382/Sonnypie/Boolit%20Gloob/) of my bullets. So my lubing is, again, batch work. Usually lots of 200-250, or sometimes more.

There is lots of ways to skin a cat.... :grin: